English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. C/C++

Old 23 September 2018, 17:59   #1
Warty

What is "Amiga 'C'" disk from Commodore?

There is an Amiga/Commodore dealer in town who has kept his shop open (Saturdays only these days) since I think 1990ish. I used to be a customer, the last few months I've been helping out with inventorying stuff. He has a full warehouse of stuff. Most of Commodore and Amiga, a few other odds and ends. Anyway, I try to spend a few hours each saturday going through boxes and seeing what's in them, and sorting them out.

I came across a pristine Lattice C Compiler book and 4 disks yesterday, plus a free floating Commodore/Amiga branded floppy with "Amiga 'C'" as the label. Has a catalog number on the edge of 316169-01. Copyright date is 1985.

I don't have a working monitor at home right now (for the Amiga), so I can't see what's on this disk. I'll check it out next week in the shop if I can get there, but does anyone know what this is? I tried googling it, and came up with ONE reference, which was just a checksum. Is there an ADF of this out there?

There's no way to know from its inclusion in the box with the Lattice C stuff, whether they were related or even contemporary. The Lattice C disks have 1987, 1988 copyright dates.

There was also a "MetaScope: The Dubugger" package in there. Rev 1.1 from 1986. That one I can find references to, but haven't located any ADFs for it.

Any value in making ADFs of these and uploading somewhere?
Old 23 September 2018, 18:52   #2
desiv

At a guess, I'd say maybe the Amiga "includes" for C.
I think when I bought my registered copy of DICE back in the day, it came with the Amiga C includes on a separate disk.
Old 24 September 2018, 07:38   #3
redblade
Zone Friend

I think first version of C released by Commodore was on one disk. There used to be a archive site on the net which had all those disks and also the software disks that came with the hardware on it. I can't remember the name tho.

Will he be making the Hardware / Software inventory available I would love to see what he has for sale
Old 26 September 2018, 01:49   #4
Warty

Ok, it remains a mystery. I'll try to check it out this weekend. I ordered some SCART stuff, so in a week or two I'll hopefully be able to use one of my own Amigas at home too.

Our goal is to try to get everything to a good home, so if you have a GREAT deal of patience, you might see an inventory at some point. But let me give an example of the scale of the problem: it's basically a warehouse. I think there are 8 rows on the left, and 4 on the right. Every row has say 4-5 shelves. Each shelf is CRAMMED full of boxes. I am working down ONE side of ONE aisle. I think I have opened about 80% of the boxes on this particular shelf now. Depending on what's in the box, it might be 5-10 minutes to understand what's in it, sort it out. Or it might be an hour. And I don't mean, "look at every disk and sort it, inventory it". I mean, "are these C128 disks? CPM disks? IBM? PET? CBM II? Amiga? Mac? Linux?" And a box could contain like anything. or everything.

Obviously, the bigger items we have a pretty good grasp on (Amiga 2000s, Amiga 1000s, monitors, etc.). but Amiga 500s... they just come out of boxes from time to time. Same with C64s, Apple IICs, Timex Sinclair 1000s, etc.

So... if you are looking for anything in particular, let me know, I'll ask if anyone has seen it, and try to track it down. Ray (that's the guy, I'm just a volunteer nerd) would be happy to sell it if he has it.

Almost certainly available: 1541s (maybe 100 of these), 1571s, PET disks, all commodore CPUs except the Amiga 3000 and 4000 (although I think I saw a 3000T sitting around somewhere), all commodore monitors, cables(!), PSUs, etc. We have test harnesses set up for most 8 bit stuff. I haven't tested the drives but one of the other guys does, and also the Amiga hardware (but I think no harness for that). Test harness probably most important for the C128s and 64s, due to SIDs/architecture. High failure rate.

Also highly likely to be available: commodore 64 software, C128 software (pretty sure every C128 title ever made, but it's a small list), Amiga software. Many are loose floppies, but there are also hundreds of boxed games/applications.

Anybody want a Koala pad? There are probably 20 of them.

I'm not sure if there's much that you would consider 'rare', but if you want something, let me know. I have a lot of fun digging through the boxes, to be perfectly honest.
Old 26 September 2018, 03:22   #5
redblade
Zone Friend

Sounds exciting A lucky dip for each box. As for requests. An Amiga 3000 would be nice, A1200, Datel Magnetic Card Reader/Writer would be nice please. As for software it'll show up on TOSEC but some photos of the finds would be nice too see as well .

I wish you luck for this Saturday
Old 26 September 2018, 05:01   #6
Warty

Don't hold your breath on the Datel.

I found something the other day I thought was a card reader, but it turned out to be a magnetic tape "drive" for a ZX-81, made by Olivetti. I haven't been able to google it with success though. It's really small (for the day).

Someday I'm sure I'll clear enough shelf space to line up more (all?) the Amiga boxed software. Maybe take a few pictures at high res, and let people call out if they're interested in anything.

I forgot to mention books. Lots of general and programming books. I think what happened is that people sold back their systems to him when they broke, with all their books and software. Plus he bought up a couple stores that went out of business in the 1990s.

I'm hunting some PET disks I saw, for a gentleman who wants to image them and upload them for reference.

Can't say that I've seen a 1200, but might be one. We have a 3000 desktop box, but not sure we have all the parts.
Old 26 September 2018, 05:50   #7
TjLaZer

Make sure to set aside all Amiga 2000, 3000 and 4000's as they have NiCad batteries in them that need to be removed asap! Also A501 RAM cards for the A500.
Old 27 September 2018, 04:04   #8
Warty

ooh. I forgot about the A501s. I better dig through those 500s and see if any are loaded. I assume we're talking about the same type of battery leak you see in the 2000s? It's the clock I suppose.
Old 27 September 2018, 10:20   #9
Marle
Pixel Vixen

It's my understanding that Amiga C was indeed a branded version of the Lattice C compiler.

Whether that came in the box you have is debatable but I have seen images of the branded Amiga C box and manuals previously, and came across this Amiga C disk back in the 90s and it was very similar to a copy of Lattice C compiler version 4 I also had, but we're talking 20+ years ago so my memories are a bit misty!
Old 27 September 2018, 23:41   #10
idrougge

Since it has a Commodore part number, I think MrDolby is interested in an ADF.
Old 28 September 2018, 01:30   #11
Warty

oh, neat project. I wish there were pictures of the floppies. Plus a list of what's on them. (yeah, I know, easy to talk about it... ).

I'll definitely try to get an image. I'll post a directory here too if I can figure out how to make the ADF.
Old 29 September 2018, 13:19   #12
MickGyver

I'm interested in anything CD32 related, hardware and software. Also interested in an A1200.
Old 30 September 2018, 00:10   #13
Warty

The "Amiga C" disk is Lattice C 3.0! there was a read me on the disk that I think is saying it was a cross compiler that let you write DOS / IBM code from your Amiga, as well as Amiga native compiling. Seems weird to me, but there you are.

I don't have a way to create an ADF yet, but I'm going to try and borrow an A500+ next week or so.

i also found another Amiga branded disk from same error, Amiga Pascal.

Someone asked about a TAC II joystick. I found 4 today, and 1 parts spare (seemed to be missing just the buttons, but I'm not familiar with what the insides are supposed to look like. ).
Old 16 December 2018, 14:05   #14
boemann

Warty - i've sent you a private message - please have a look