English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.EAB

Old 24 January 2021, 10:08   #1
chip

What do you like and don't like of this forum ?

As title, it would be interesting to know what do you actually like (or not like) of this forum

I like the incredible amount of info i learned thanks to all eab members, since i started to join the forum there's indeed a big difference in my Amiga knowledge

I was for example absolutely new to the demo scene and thanks to all the questions i did i am now the maintainer of a demo scene collection

I learned to extract the releases from the disks, both standard DOS and NDOS ..... awesome !

Thanks again to all eab members !
Old 24 January 2021, 10:33   #2
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
I've been here for almost 19 years, and I love pretty much everything about EAB. First of all, I love that it is an actual Forum, whereas everybody else seems to have migrated to social media. Don't get me wrong, I love Facebook as much as everyone else but it is a poor medium for storing information and knowledge. I love that so many people are eager to help one another. I love that so many people spend hours working for the community.

Things I do not like... I sometimes wonder why there are so many negative threads about the Amiga in an Amiga forum. Threads about why AGA was so bad, why arcade ports were so bad etc. When I was 14 years old, I did not buy any magazines and very few of my friends owned an Amiga. I had no reviewers to tell me what I should or should not like. If I had fun with a game, I didn't care about its graphics or flaws. The forum is riddled with comments about games such as "it has less colours than the arcade", "it's a worse version than Game Gear's", "the SNES version had one more stage", "the Megadrive version had better scrolling" etc. Why should I care about all that? All I know is that when I loaded the Alien Syndrome, Strider, Highway Hawks of this world I felt like the luckiest kid alive. And I had no one to keep telling me how unplayable Shadow of the Beast was, so I played it for hours and hours every day. So, why focus so much on the negative instead of reminiscing on the nostalgia?
Old 24 January 2021, 10:58   #3
duga

It's fine. Maybe it's time to disable http though (going https only) for security reasons.
Old 24 January 2021, 20:07   #4
redblade
Zone Friend

I like that this is a global forum and people here are always willing to help.

I'm happy that this is the WinUAE support forum and that Toni Wilen hangs out here.

I'm happy that this forum supports the underground part of the amiga scene and the moderators allow discussion of those topics, also that whdload patches are here (not that I use that tool).

Also good to read about different experiences in the Amiga Scene: Dan Scott (Programming commercial software), Galahad (The underground scene and how he patches software), Chucky (Creating new hardware), Stingray (How he patched a certain whdload title), McGeezer and Adrian Cummings (New Amiga releases), and just reading about other peoples Amiga experiences around the world.
Old 24 January 2021, 20:10   #5
idrougge

What I don’t like: People who join only to ask a question that has been asked a hundred times and can be answered by a single Google query or forum search.
Old 24 January 2021, 20:22   #6
kamelito
Zone Friend

I like the expertise of many talented persons.
I don’t like endless sterile threads and when people “attack each other.
Old 24 January 2021, 20:26   #7
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
What I don’t like: People who join only to ask a question that has been asked a hundred times and can be answered by a single Google query or forum search.
I'm guilty of that, I was also one of those "How do you access the zone" posters.
Old 24 January 2021, 20:47   #8
d4rk3lf

Love people around here. Lot's of very knowledgeable people that not only help noobs like me, but they also have their own great projects, and great hardware stuff.
I love even these spamming threads with lots of of topic.

I only dislike that bunch of (good) people here are easily offended, or triggered by provocation of some other users.
I mean, I can't call it even dislike. I just don't understand why are some people so sensitive... and these are good people... and I would be very sorry to see them leaving the forum.

Oh, and I also dislike that many people are either pure white or pure black, when they talk about Vampire. They are either 100% positive, or 100% negative, and that they involve so much emotion around it.
World is grayish, and I am sad people waste so much energy into something pointless (nobody changed opinion as far I saw), and that leads even to insults at some cases.
That's sad.
Old 24 January 2021, 21:31   #9
Gordon
Settler

I like it because everything is tidy and searchable. Not many show offs or know it all’s like on facebook etc

I don’t like the guess the screenshot game......it’s too hard !
Old 24 January 2021, 21:35   #10
aeberbach

Like: plenty of people who know more than I do especially the arcana concerning what works with what and how.

Dislike: as soon as you do anything "IS IT OPEN SOURCE? IT BETTER BE!" The first thing I think about isn't your ideology.
Old 24 January 2021, 21:48   #11
Amiga4000

I like the “LIKES” in this thread……

I “DISLIKE” the dislikes in this thread…..
Old 24 January 2021, 22:23   #12
roondar

I love the people, the nostalgia and the many fascinating threads about Amiga technical stuff and game/demo development. Love it when developers show off how their games take shape from start to finish.

What I like less is that there is a tendency for negative threads and posts. Sometimes it seems some people here don't really like the Amiga at all.
Old 25 January 2021, 00:56   #13
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
[...] I don’t like the guess the screenshot game......it’s too hard !
Next time it will be my turn to post, I will post an easy one to guess
Old 25 January 2021, 16:03   #14
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

It's a very friendly, welcoming and extremely knowledgable forum. If I ever need to know something that goes beyond what I know then you can guarantee there is someone here who can help.

It's also a very well balanced community with equal coverage of both games and the technical subjects.

The moderator team seems fair and measured in their responses, unlike some communities where the moderators seem to be power tripping little Adolfs just chomping at the bit for an excuse to wield their virtual power.

It also seems to contantly be getting a fresh supply of Amiga fans, keeping it fresh, but it's also good to see a lot of the old timers still here after all this time

Dislikes
Virtually nothing. My only small wish is that it was a bit more mobile friendly. It works fine, but I have to zoom pinch a lot to click on specific areas. First world problems, eh?
Old 25 January 2021, 16:11   #15
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Ha ha Get off it, secretly you don't mind showing off your knowledge of the Amiga by answering the same questions over and over again