English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 15 February 2009, 23:34   #21
prowler
Global Moderator

This is what happens when I boot my PIII machine from the QNX v6.1 Installation and Boot CD created from the QNX 6.1 ISO image downloaded from the OpenQNX Community Portal and install the Software Development Platform to a new partition on my hard disk.

Code:
Boot from CD :
  1. FD 2.88M  System Type (0F)
Hit ESC for .altboot.........................................
Press the space bar to input boot options...
Detected EIDE. Scanning for devices...

Please select a boot option. Option F2 is great for testing QNX compatibility
on new hardware without writing anything to the hard disk. It can also be
used for system recovery.

F2 - Run from CD (Hard Disk filesystems mounted under /fs)
F3 - Install QNX to a new hard disk partition

Select? F3

This installation will create a partition on your hard disk and
create a bootable QNX image. You may abort this installation at any
prompt by pressing the F12 key.

Press F1 to continue.
Press F2 to set verbose (debug) mode.

Choice (F1, F2)? F1

QNX Realtime Platform End User License Agreement

[snip]

F1-Accept F2-Reject? F1

*** WARNING ***

You have a disk which is greater than 8.4 Gigabytes. The original BIOS
calls to access the disk are unable to read data above 8.4G. If your
BIOS is older than 1998, you may be forced to choose option 2. Newer
BIOS's support an extended disk read call that can access the entire drive.

F1 Allow the QNX partition to be anywhere on the disk.
F2 Keep the QNX partition below 8.4G.

Choice (F1, F2)? F1

Your disk has room for a 38162 megabyte QNX partition?
Please select the size of the partition you would like to create for QNX.

F1     all  38162M
F2    half  19081M
F3 quarter   9540M
F4  eighth   4770M
F5  Display partition table allowing you to delete an exising partition.

Choice (F1, F2, F3, F4, F5)? F3

Restarting driver and mounting filesystems...

Copying files to the new QNX partition. Please wait...

100% COPY /cd/boot/fs/qnxbase.ifs to /hdisk/boot/fs
100% COPY /cd/boot/fs/qnxbase.ifs to /hdisk/.altboot
100% COPY /cd/boot/fs/qnxbase.qfs to /hdisk/boot/fs
100% COPY /cd/boot/fs/qnxbasedma.ifs to /hdisk/boot/fs
100% COPY /cd/boot/fs/qnxbasedma.ifs to /hdisk/.boot

Installation complete

Please remove the install floppy and CD, then reboot your machine.

Notes:
1 When you get the login prompt, you should log in as    root

2 By default we enable DMA on the IDE driver. If your machine fails
  to boot correctly press the ESC key when prompted to boot the alternative
  OS boot image which disables DMA.
On rebooting the machine, a swapfile is created and the filesystem and
configuration files are prepared for the first boot from hard disk...

Code:
     A new video card has been detected. Please verify
     these video driver settings before continuing.
The QNX Realtime Platform was designed with an optimal
resolution of 1024x768 in 16-bit color. It is not recommended
for resolutions below 800x600.

Video Driver: tnt
       Resolution: 1024x768
      Color Depth: 16-Bit: Thousands of Colors
     Refresh Rate: 60Hz
The video driver 'tnt' is the default selection for my nVidia Geforce 2 MX400 64MB graphics card. The other possibilities listed were 'vesa' and 'vga'.

It should be safe to run with whatever configuration is selected by default at this stage. The availability of a 'vga' video driver is a little puzzling when it has already been stated that the QNX RTP is not recommended for resolutions below 800x600. The QNX v6.4 Display Setup lists the alternative drivers as 'vesabios' and 'svga', so perhaps this is actually what is meant here. However, running with either of these settings likely means reduced performance and 60Hz maximum refresh rate.

Accepting the default setup for the time being brings up the Login screen. Log in as 'root' (no password necessary), and the QNX Desktop is displayed.

When you get to the QNX 6.1 desktop, you will notice that there are two menu items available which don't appear on the V6.4 Desktop: the CD Player (which indicates that the CD-ROM driver has been loaded successfully) and the Installer. The Installer is also available from the Launch button in the Software submenu. Try the CD Player with an Audio CD in the CD-ROM drive. It should play OK.

Place the AmigaOS XL CD in the CD-ROM drive and launch the Software Installer. Select the QNX CD-ROM Repository and click the 'View Repository' button. Double-click the 'Emulation' folder, and the AmigaOS_XL for x86 package will be revealed.

Double-click the 'AmigaOS_XL for x86' entry. Details of the package are shown in the right panel and the package is selected for installation. Click the 'Install' button. The package may, optionally, be saved to your hard drive, but this is pointless if you own the AmigaOS XL CD. Confirm that you wish to install the package and finally check the license agreement.

The AmigaOS XL package will be installed to your hard disk. When disk activity has finished, click 'Done' and close the Installer window.

The AmigaOS XL emulator is now available from the Launch button in the Utilities submenu. Launch the emulator by double-clicking the menu entry, and the AmigaOS XL Workbench screen is displayed.

While AmigaOS XL is running, switching between the Workbench and QNX screens is achieved with standard Amiga screen-switching (depth) gadgets. The default 16-bit display color-depth is sufficient to display the Amiga Workbench screen, but I found it necessary to select the 32-bit color-depth to display the QNX backdrop properly. Also, I had to disable the hardware cursor to prevent the mouse pointer from disappearing when returning from the Amiga Workbench to the QNX screen, and I pushed the refresh rate to 70Hz. Display Setup is accessed from the QNX Launch button in the Configure submenu.

AmigaOS XL emulation shutdown is accessed from the System disk System folder. Double-click the Shutdown icon, choose 'Quit AmigaXL' and click 'OK'. QNX shutdown is accessed from the Launch button.

The QNX 6.1 Real Time Platform uses the QNX Neutrino partition type 79 ($4F) exclusively, and only one partition of this type may be created. This is why I couldn't add a second AmigaOS XL installation to my original hard disk. It can, however, co-exist with other partition types, in which case you will be given the option of installing the QNX partition boot loader or using an existing one to let you choose which partition to load when you boot.

Finally, I would ask that if any other user has experience of the AmigaOS XL emulator, could they please share it with us here, as documentation for it is almost non-existent.

I have only the four page article which appeared in the November 2001 final issue (26) of AmigActive magazine based on their first look at a pre-release version of the AmigaOS XL package and the two emulators contained within. I will scan it and upload it to the Zone for anyone interested.

prowler

Last edited by prowler; 16 February 2009 at 01:39.
Old 16 February 2009, 23:34   #22
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Dale,

Now that I've got that working, I'm downloading QNX 6.2.1 NC ISO image from the OpenQNX Community Portal to see if I can get AmigaOS XL installed on top of that.

BTW, I found that QNX 6.2.0 NC ISO image is no longer available. (Maybe they pulled that version when it was superseded by version 6.2.1.)

prowler
Old 17 February 2009, 21:45   #23
dframeli

Prowler,

Actually, I've discovered that QNX v6.4 does auto mount the AmigaOS XL CD whenever it is placed in the drive.

Using the QNX file manager, you can see the contents of the disk if you navigate to the fs folder and then to the cd0 folder.

However, I have so far been unable to locate the QNX v6.4 package installer utility.

I think all I have to do to get AmigaOS XL installed is to locate the package installer and point it at the AmigaOS XL package stored my CD.

If you find out wher they've hidden it, let me know

Thanks!
Dale
Old 18 February 2009, 01:13   #24
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Dale,

I really don't think it's going to be as simple as that.

Tonight, I installed QNX 6.2.1 NC version on my hard disk using a CD I had burned from the image I downloaded last night.

While the file was downloading, I checked the availability of the next version 6.3.0 and followed a link to an OpenQNX forum thread where a suitable unlock key for this had been requested and duly provided. Also in this thread, someone had asked whether the 6.3.0 installation was a two-stage process like 6.2.1, and was assured that it was not. Apparently, when 6.2.1 is installed, it asks for the CD to be removed while the system reboots, and when the QNX desktop loads up, you should again insert the CD which contains a repository of packages providing enhancements which can be installed in a similar way to the AmigaOS XL package.

Having seen this, I knew that if I could get QNX 6.2.1 installed, I would still be able to see the CD and thus have a good chance of a simple AmigaOS XL installation.

So, this evening I installed QNX 6.2.1 and then AmigaOS XL without a hitch, using a very similar method to the one I have already described for QNX 6.1, but all that happens when the emulator is launched is that an Amiga OS 3.1 DOS session is launched in a half-height window which will respond only to the AmigaDOS command 'endcli'. When this is entered, the shell closes and a Workbench title bar appears with zoom and depth gadgets. The mouse pointer responds to mouse movement, but nothing else is possible. The emulator is effectively frozen, and the machine must be reset.

At this point, it seems that AmigaOS XL is only compatible with QNX v6.1, for whatever reason.

prowler

PS. I had intended to download the QNX 6.3.0 eval ISO image (523.63MB) tonight, but I've changed my mind after what happened earlier.

Last edited by prowler; 18 February 2009 at 03:01.
Old 23 February 2009, 22:12   #25
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Dale,

Over the weekend, I downloaded the QNX 6.3.0 eval ISO image from the OpenQNX Community Portal. This completes the set of disks I had intended to download when I registered for an account there.

I burned it to CD-R and installed it on my 1GHz PIII machine today. The installer was quite happy to accept the perpetual licence key I requested for version 6.4. It is indeed a single-stage process as suggested on the OpenQNX forum. However, when this had completed and I attempted to install the AmigaOS XL emulator from the CD repository, I was prevented from doing so because of "unresolved dependencies".

I have come across a similar warning previously while installing QNX 6.2.1. At the point where it asked that the CD be removed to enable the system to be rebooted from the hard drive, I decided to try skipping the second stage installation of the 'enhancements' and straighaway attempt the installation of AmigaOS XL, figuring that I could insert the QNX CD and add the rest later.

However, this was not possible because the Software Installer refused to install the AmigaOS XL package because of "unresolved dependencies". So it was necessary to install the 'enhancements' before the application after all. Nevertheless, as you already know, the emulator, once installed, would not then run properly.

There does not seem to be a way round the "unresolved dependencies" of the AmigaOS XL package with QNX v6.3.0.

The QNX version 6.4 installer uses a default partition type 179, but will allow you to choose a partition type 79 if you wish to use the QNX 4 filesystem used in QNX 6.2.x and 6.3.x. However, although QNX 6.1.x (the only version with which I have had AmigaOS XL both installed and running) also uses the partition type 79, it is not clear what filesystem it uses.

The "Power-Safe" filesystem used by QNX 6.4 in conjunction with the partition type 179 might be what is causing the Software Installer to be missing from the QNX 6.4 desktop.

My next step will be to install QNX 6.4 into a partition type 79 to ensure that the installation is compatible with the QNX 4 filesystem.

Also, I will check the QNX 6.1 CD that was bundled with AmigaOS XL against the OpenQNX 6.1 ISO image burned to CD to see if they are indeed identical.

If the problem of installing AmigaOS XL on later versions of QNX persists, the only option left that I can see is to update a fully functioning QNX 6.1/AmigaOS XL installation using the CD repository packages found on the later versions of the QNX installation and boot CDs, and hope that the QNX features on which the AmigaOS XL emulation depends will be preserved.

Incidentally, Dale, have you managed to get AmigaOS XL installed on QNX 6.1 yet, or are you not interested in doing so?

prowler
Old 25 February 2009, 02:57   #26
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Dale,

The QNX 6.1 CD and the QNX 6.1 ISO image burned to CD-R are not identical!

This is not a complete surprise, because I just had the faintest impression that the display driver in my original installation gave a cleaner changeover when switching between the QNX and Amiga Workbench screens.

I will try to discover exactly what the differences are.

prowler

Last edited by prowler; 25 February 2009 at 03:05.
Old 27 February 2009, 02:22   #27
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Dale,

I must be mad, for I've just downloaded QNX 6.0 ISO to see whether AmigaOS XL will install on that.

prowler
Old 27 February 2009, 09:36   #28
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
nothing wrong with being mad
Old 27 February 2009, 22:12   #29
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
nothing wrong with being mad
Thanks, cosmic!
Old 28 February 2009, 14:41   #30
dframeli

work

Prowler,

Sorry, I've been busy with work related items. Haven't had time to look at 6.4 further since my last posting. I hope to have time in a week or so to work on it again. Man! I was really hoping to get AmigaXL going on QNX 6.4.
Old 06 March 2009, 21:20   #31
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Dale,

This evening I installed QNX 6.0 on my 1GHz PIII system. It has a software installer, but is unable install the AmigaOS XL package because it cannot read the CD-ROM repository. So that was a waste of time...

Next I shall try upgrading a working QNX 6.1 / AmigaOS XL installaton with the update packages on the QNX 6.2, 6.3 and 6.4 installation CDs.

If this doesn't work, there is a CD ISO image available on the OpenQNX Community Portal that contains user-contributed software, including a software installer! It might be possible to install this under QNX 6.4 and then use it as a method of installing AmigaOS XL...

Peter
Old 08 March 2009, 02:05   #32
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dframeli View Post
I was really hoping to get AmigaXL going on QNX 6.4.
Hi Dale,

That reminds me, I've still not tried installing QNX 6.4 into a type 79 partition to achieve compatibility with the QNX 4 filesystem and thus a better chance of installingf AmigaOS XL.

I'll try that tomorrow, I shouldn't take long (one way or the other).

prowler
Old 09 March 2009, 00:16   #33
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dframeli View Post
Prowler,

Actually, I've discovered that QNX v6.4 does auto mount the AmigaOS XL CD whenever it is placed in the drive.

Using the QNX file manager, you can see the contents of the disk if you navigate to the fs folder and then to the cd0 folder.

However, I have so far been unable to locate the QNX v6.4 package installer utility.

I think all I have to do to get AmigaOS XL installed is to locate the package installer and point it at the AmigaOS XL package stored my CD.

If you find out wher they've hidden it, let me know

Thanks!
Dale
Hi Dale,

Today, I installed QNX 6.4 into a type 79 partition on My 1GHz PIII system. Yes, you're right about the AmigsOS XL CD being automounted when it's inserted into the CD-ROM drive.

The files are accessible using the File Manager. Default path is /root. Navigate up one level and then to /fs/cd0/repository. The AmigaOS XL package comprises the four files
amigaosxl-1.1-hp.qpk 18,948,964 bytes (gzip compressed data),
amigaosxl-1.1-hp.qpm 6,466 bytes (XML file),
amigaosxl-1.1-x86-hp.qpk 754,289 bytes (gzip compressed data),
and
amigaosxl-1.1-x86-hp.qpm 5,617 bytes (XML file).
However, without a Software Installer utility they are not recognized as an installable package and have default (document) icons.

The amigaosxl-1.1-hp.repdata/LicenseURL folder contains the EULA in the license.txt file (11,301 bytes), which can be opened with the Text Editor by double-clicking on it.

Using the File Manager, there doesn't seem to be anything on the hard disk or on the QNX 6.4 CD which is intended to create a Software Installer utility or to serve as one.

The QNX 6.4 CD repository folder contains packages in .tarx format data files, whereas the packages in that of the QNX 6.1 CD are in .qpk/.qpm file pairs, just like on the AmigaOS XL CD. Unfortunately, this seems to suggest that the AmigaOS XL repository packages would not be compatible with the QNX 6.4 System Installer anyway, even it it existed!

It looks like the only hope now of getting AmigaOS XL working with QNX 6.4 is to try the user contributed software installer on the CD ISO image available from the OpenQNX Community Portal and hope that it's compatible with both QNX 6.4 and the software package format used by the earlier repositories.

I haven't downloaded this yet, but in the meantime I will try upgrading a working QNX 6.1 / AmigaOS XL installaton with the update packages on the QNX 6.2 and 6.3 installation CDs in an attempt to get AmigaOS XL working with the additional hardware support offered by the later versions. QNX 6.3 looks to be the latest version which shares the same installable software package format as version 6.1, so I expect that the QNX 6.4 update packages will not be visible to the earlier Software Installer(s).

prowler

PS. If neither of these attempts work, then maybe it's time to start posting on the OpenQNX forum.

Last edited by prowler; 09 March 2009 at 01:37.
Old 10 March 2009, 00:23   #34
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Dale,

Last night I downloaded the CD ISO image (441.78MB) of user contributed software from the OpenQNX Community Portal. The CD contains a repository of software packages for QNX 6 (specifically QNX 6.2) in .qpk/.qpm file pairs.

This evening, in an attempt to update the hardware support for AmigaOS XL, I created a fresh installation of QNX 6.1 and AmigaOS XL on my 1GHz PIII system, but I could find no installable repository packages on the QNX 6.2.1, 6.3.0 or 6.4 CDs using the QNX 6.1 Software Installer.

I repeated the attempt once more, this time on a vanilla QNX 6.1 installation, but with the same result. I had thought that maybe the presence of AmigaOS XL had somehow blinded the Software Installer to further packages, but it evidently hadn't.

It therefore seems to be impossible to update QNX 6.1 by using the later QNX installation CDs. I got the idea to try this when I had QNX 6.2.1 installed and AmigaOS XL wasn't working properly. QNX 6.2.1 is a two-stage installation process, and the second stage involves installing further packages from the CD repository once the bare bones have been installed and the machine has been rebooted from the hard drive. AmigaOS XL won't install after the first stage only due to "unresolved dependencies", so the second stage is required too. When AmigaOS XL, having been installed, would not then work properly, I put the QNX 6.3.0 CD in the CD-ROM drive to see if that might contain anything which might fix it. I can recall that the Software Installer found a QNX 6.3 update package or something like that, but I can't remember what happened next. Either it failed to install due to "unresolved dependencies", or else it installed but rendered the system unusable. It was unsuccessful either way.

Failure to update QNX 6.1 by this method suggests that it possibly uses a different filesystem to the 6.2 and 6.3 versions. I know from the QNX 6.4 installation notes that QNX 6.4 uses the "Power-Safe" filesystem by default and that the "QNX 4" filesystem can be chosen instead to match that used by versions 6.2.x and 6.3.x, but no mention is made of QNX 6.1 or earlier. However, the repository on the CD of user contributed software is readily accessible from the QNX 6.1 Software Installer, and this software is intended specifically for QNX 6.2, so that would suggest that the QNX 6.1 and 6.2 filesystems are compatible. To test this, I installed a Solitaire card game from the QNX 6.2 software repository and it worked flawlessly under QNX 6.1.

Unfortunately the Software Installer I had sought when I downloaded the CD image (a program called "stow"), requires PERL (which is not included), and it is unlikely to be compatible with QNX 6.4 anyway, because of the difference in software package format between the 6.4 and earlier repositories.

Methinks it is now time to seek help from the OpenQNX forum. If there is no relevant thread there, I shall start a new one if I can come up with a suitable opening post!

The only positive thing I have achieved so far, since I started contributing to this thread, is that I have found the optimum graphics configuration for QNX 6.1 / AmigaOS XL installation which achieves seamless switching between the QNX and Workbench screens on my machine when using the QNX 6.1 ISO CD image I downloaded from the OpenQNX Community Portal instead of the one bundled with the AmigaOS XL package.

QNX 6.1:
tnt Video Driver
1024x768 Resolution
32-Bit True Color / 16M Color Depth
70Hz Refresh Rate
Disable Hardware Cursor

AmigaOS XL System/Prefs/ScreenMode:
AmigaXL: 1024x768 32bit BGR
Old 18 March 2009, 03:21   #35
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi cosmic,

To install AmigaOS XL to your hard drive you will require a QNX 6.1 CD. You can create one by downloading the QNX 6.1 ISO image hosted on the OpenQNX Community Portal and burning it to CD-R.

As with your Amithlon CD, if your hardware is fully supported, then it will be able to boot the QNX CD. Don't worry - it won't install anything or make any changes to your computer unless you ask it to.

My fully supported x86 Amiga OS platform is a 1GHz P3 machine with onboard AC97 sound support, 256MB PC133 SDRAM, nVidia GeForce2 MX400 64MB graphics card, 40GB EIDE hard drive and ATAPI 16x CD-ROM drive. However, my 1.8GHz P4 Windows XP machine won't boot either the QNX or Amithlon CDs. The QNX CD will auto-run when inserted into the DVD-ROM drive under Windows XP, but the installer will hang the machine until the Windows Task Manager is used to end the process.

As your hardware can boot the Amithlon CD, then it should be possible to install QNX 6.1 and Amiga OS XL on that machine either in an empty drive partition or in a hardfile under Windows 95/98/ME (I have not tried this method). QNX will not boot from an NTFS partition, so if you have Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista, you must use the partition install method.

The Windows install can be done by inserting the CD. It should auto-run and provide you with a menu option to install QNX. Follow the instructions to install QNX. If you choose this method, be sure to read the last minute notes on the QNX CD (readme.txt) Section 3 regarding changes the installer makes to your config.sys file to allow you to boot Windows or QNX when you boot your computer.

To install in an empty partition on your hard drive, boot the machine from the QNX CD and follow the prompts to install QNX. If you already have an operating system installed on your computer, you can choose to install a boot loader which supports booting from multiple partitions and/or multiple hard disks.

Towards the end of the installation, a default set of video driver settings will be loaded for your graphics card, and you will have the opportunity to adjust them to optimize the display. It will tell you here that QNX was designed for an optimal resolution of 1024x768 in 16-bit color, and you will probably find that these have been chosen as the default settings. It should be safe to run with whatever configuration is selected by default at this stage. You will get the opportunity later to optimize the display settings whenever you wish.

Accepting the default setup for the time being brings up the Login screen. Log in as 'root' (no password necessary), and the QNX Desktop is displayed.

Once you have successfully installed QNX and have it running, you can install the Amiga OS XL package by inserting the Amithlon CD and running the Installer (Launch button, Software submenu). Select the QNX CD-ROM Repository and click the 'View Repository' button. Double-click the 'Emulation' folder, and the AmigaOS_XL for x86 package will be revealed.

Double-click the 'AmigaOS_XL for x86' entry. Details of the package are shown in the right panel and the package is selected for installation. Click the 'Install' button. The package may, optionally, be saved to your hard drive, but this is pointless if you have the AmigaOS XL CD. Confirm that you wish to install the package and finally check the license agreement.

The AmigaOS XL package will be installed to your hard disk. When disk activity has finished, click 'Done' and close the Installer window.

The AmigaOS XL emulator is now available from the Launch button in the Utilities submenu. Launch the emulator by double-clicking the menu entry, and the AmigaOS XL Workbench screen is displayed.

While AmigaOS XL is running, switching between the Workbench and QNX screens is achieved with standard Amiga screen-switching (depth) gadgets. The default 16-bit display color-depth is sufficient to display the Amiga Workbench screen, but I found it necessary to select the 32-bit color-depth to display the QNX backdrop properly. Also, I had to disable the hardware cursor to prevent the mouse pointer from disappearing when returning from the Amiga Workbench to the QNX screen, and I pushed the refresh rate to 70Hz. Display Setup is accessed from the QNX Launch button in the Configure submenu.

You may find that the default Workbench ScreenMode of 800x600 results in underscan when you switch to the Workbench screen. If this happens, the depth gadget at the top right-hand corner of the screen may be positioned outside the displayed area. The mouse pointer can still be moved within this area to click on the depth gadget and return to the QNX screen, but if instead you choose a Workbench ScreenMode to match the QNX video driver setting, the screen will be properly displayed once more and switching between the Workbench and QNX screens should become seamless.

If at any time you happen to try settings which are not displayable, just wait a few seconds, after which your previously working settings will be restored.

For your guidance, these are the optimum display driver settings which I have found achieve seamless switching between the QNX and Workbench screens on my machine:

QNX 6.1:
tnt Video Driver
1024x768 Resolution
32-Bit True Color / 16M Color Depth
70Hz Refresh Rate
Disable Hardware Cursor

AmigaOS XL System/Prefs/ScreenMode:
AmigaXL: 1024x768 32bit BGR

AmigaOS XL emulation shutdown is accessed from the System disk System folder. Double-click the Shutdown icon, choose 'Quit AmigaXL' and click 'OK'. QNX shutdown is accessed from the Launch button.

You may find that the Launch button has almost disappeared when you return to the QNX screen after launching Amiga OS XL for the first time. It can still be used by clicking on what remains visible until the end of the session. It will be restored to its usual position when you next reboot.

The hardware support provided by QNX 6.1 was current when the Amithlon / AmigaOS XL package was launched in 2001, and it is getting difficult these days to find parts to build a system which is capable of running it to best advantage.

In an effort to bring the hardware support for AmigaOS XL more up to date, I have tried to install the package on QNX versions 6.2.1, 6.3 and 6.4 (the current version) with no success. It seems that backward compatibility is not one of QNX's strong points.

It seems that QNX 6.0 can be updated to 6.1, 6.2 can be updated to 6.2.1 and 6.3 can be updated to 6.3.2. No updates have yet been released for QNX 6.4.

The AmigaOS XL repository package is not compatible with the QNX 6.2.x or 6.3.x Software Installers, and no Software Installer application is provided with QNX 6.4.

I have a registered account with the Open QNX Community, and I'm trying to think of the best way of using their forums to ask for help with this. I need to study the threads there for a while first to make sure I'm not overlooking the obvious.

The trouble is, this is all new to me since the this thread was started. My AmigaOS XL system had been gathering dust for more than five years previously, and I'm not really interested in updated hardware support for it because it's just not possible to run it any better than my machine already does. I actually bought my Amithlon / AmigaOS XL package before I had a machine which would run it. I then built my 1GHz P3 box especially for that and I have never used it for anything else, so it's still in *very* good condition.

I really don't know how I got so involved with this thread when I stop to think about it!

prowler

Last edited by prowler; 18 March 2009 at 23:50.
Old 18 March 2009, 08:44   #36
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

prowler and his epic thread
Its a pitty it don`t work on latter releases of qnx
Lets hope some1 on the qnx forum can shed some light on why
Old 19 March 2009, 00:13   #37
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Lets hope some1 on the qnx forum can shed some light on why
Hi Cosmic,

Have fun with QNX and AmigaOS XL. It looks great, but it's a little rough around the edges.

It feels like an unfinished project which was cobbled together and released before the company which produced it went into oblivion. And of course, that's exactly what happened, which accounts for its limited usability and the complete lack of any support for it.

It's rather an obscure application and, as such, unlikely to inspire an independent support effort, I'm afraid.

I don't suppose the guys at OpenQNX have even heard of AmigaOS XL!

prowler
Old 22 March 2009, 08:44   #38
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi guys,

I have found a torrent containing the QNX 6.3.2 installation and boot CD image (6.3.2-nto632-200709062316.iso, 542MB) and QNX 6.3.2 Windows installation CD image (6.3.2-win32-200709062316.iso, 523MB), and I'm downloading them now.

Actually, the torrent is a 1.56GB 3-in-1 collection which contains the Linux version as well, but I haven't downloaded it previously because with my old Bittorrent client I wasn't able to choose to download individual files within torrents. My discovery of µTorrent 1.8.2, thanks to TheCyberDruid, has changed all that!

I realize that I will probably be unable to install the AmigaOS XL package under this version of QNX unless I manage to get some help with this, but I still think I should take the opportunity to get this version while it is available, because it doesn't seem to be hosted anywhere else.

prowler

Last edited by prowler; 22 March 2009 at 11:51. Reason: Added filesizes
Old 22 March 2009, 12:20   #39
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

it probably take me a week or so to get it workin and instaled but i did try amithlon on a del gx260 which is a p4 2ghz and it worked so I`m hopein to use this machine for QNX
Old 22 March 2009, 12:27   #40
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
i did try amithlon on a del gx260 which is a p4 2ghz and it worked so I`m hopein to use this machine for QNX
Hi cosmic,

You'll soon know whether it will work. If the machine will boot the QNX CD, then it will be compatible! AmigaOS XL and Amithlon, as supplied, seem to have the same system requirements.

prowler