English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 01 January 2014, 18:28   #41
bubbob42

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
Panasonic drive (different models) in both machines.
Most Panasonic Drives have SMD-capacitors, which tend to leak over time. This will lead to read errors, especially with custom formats. I have put such a drive in my A1000 a while ago and it's got trouble with trackloaders and - most unfortunately - the Kickstart-disk. :-)

Check your drive, clean it and replace the capacitors with ceramic ones. IIRC someone on EAB described exactly that procedure a few days ago.

A lot of drives were tested with Solid Gold and the best performer here was the Chinon FB354, which has no SMD caps at all. Never had any issues when running the game from UAE or HxC-Floppy, too.

Another option will be WHDLoad; I myself am eagerly awaiting Codetapper's upcoming slave.

Edit: Or Stingray's - whoever gets there first
Old 01 January 2014, 19:04   #42
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
I hope there will be a v1.1 which can be run from Workbench as well.
No, the game depends on the trackloader and kills the operating system completely. I wanted to do it this way for 100% retro feeling.
But there is always the chance for a WHDLoad version.
Old 01 January 2014, 19:08   #43
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
It hangs during the loading screen (with the white background).
And the white background doesn't turn yellow when it hangs? Yellow means that there was a read error.

The loader with the white owl logo still uses trackdisk.device to load the main program. So it could not even be a problem of the custom track loader.
Old 01 January 2014, 19:29   #44
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

And Stingray did it again.

http://www.whdload.de/games/SolidGold.html
Old 01 January 2014, 19:31   #45
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
But there is always the chance for a WHDLoad version.
The WHDLoad version is now available. You've made a geat game, lots of fun to play.
Old 01 January 2014, 22:21   #46
BippyM
Global Moderator

Thread cleaned. Take it, and keep it in PM please.
Old 01 January 2014, 22:38   #47
ma693541
Computer Wizard

Thank's for the WHDLoad installer StingRay. You work fast.
Old 01 January 2014, 23:10   #48
TroelsDK
Registered Amiga Maniac

This is great news! I'm so happy to see new games released for classic Amiga, and especially well made games like this! It looks and plays great Awesome job guys! I hope you will make more games in the future!

I experience some problems with the trainer WHDLoad. If unlimited lives are enabled, then suddenly you can only jump by pressing down.. Anybody else?

Last edited by TroelsDK; 01 January 2014 at 23:22.
Old 01 January 2014, 23:21   #49
duga

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
And the white background doesn't turn yellow when it hangs? Yellow means that there was a read error.

The loader with the white owl logo still uses trackdisk.device to load the main program. So it could not even be a problem of the custom track loader.
Nope. I'll do further testing and report back.
Old 02 January 2014, 19:00   #50
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Thank you very much for this awesome game phx!

I like everything with it. The gameplay, music and graphics is just awesome.

I really want to support you. But I read in the other thread that you don't want donations.

I also recorded a [ Show youtube player ]. (no spolier tag on EAB?)
Old 02 January 2014, 19:49   #51
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Can't install from the ADF, or am I missing something?
Old 02 January 2014, 20:00   #52
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

oh, yes you can but have to select install from DF0: first! weird. But then it says I need some other program, except it seems you can just copy the ADF into the install dir and rename it "Disk.1".

Having some fun playing it now.
Old 03 January 2014, 01:20   #53
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipoonios View Post
I also recorded a [ Show youtube player ]. (no spolier tag on EAB?)
Wow! After you finished all parts of Sqrxz, mastering Solid Gold must have been a piece of cake for you. Not bad, nevertheless.

I remember that I had a little more than 70000 after finishing the game.
Old 03 January 2014, 13:48   #54
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

It is a hard game, unforgiving collision detection (especially the spikes) and instant death.
Old 03 January 2014, 14:35   #55
phx
Natteravn

I am happy to hear that it is not too easy. The testers impression, and also mine, was the opposite.

When you look for extra lives and collect many gems then you will always have enough lives left.
Old 03 January 2014, 16:05   #56
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
It is a hard game, unforgiving collision detection (especially the spikes) and instant death.
Agreed! bit rough is it? Haha.
I think my problem is that the character goes too far into the border to scroll the screen and as such you don't see what's coming. I ran into many baddies like that. And that's kinda the same criticism I always had of Sqrxz, the dude just goes too far front!

Anyway, I really love the game, the nice storyline, music and graphics. Job well done phx!!!!
Old 03 January 2014, 16:06   #57
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Maybe it's harder using up to jump on a Sega joypad
Old 03 January 2014, 17:22   #58
Phantom
Adventurer

It was really a long-long time ago since I played such a great and enjoyable platform game. I'm already in Mexico and still playing. Thanks to Wille brothers and everyone for this game.

I don't think that you need WhdLoad for it. The loading routines are really so fast, that you will forget immediately that you're playing from a floppy disk.

But one slight problem that I have. The screen seems to be positioned far at top, thus resulting the first lines of text (like introduction text, lives etc) to be hidden and not visible during play. I'm using a Commodore 1084S-P2 monitor. I tried to change the pitch behind the monitor, fixed that, but when I load my Workbench my screen is low. Any ideas how to fix that? It seems that it doesn't happening to any other game I have played.
Old 03 January 2014, 17:57   #59
duga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
It was really a long-long time ago since I played such a great and enjoyable platform game. I'm already in Mexico and still playing. Thanks to Wille brothers and everyone for this game.

I don't think that you need WhdLoad for it. The loading routines are really so fast, that you will forget immediately that you're playing from a floppy disk.

But one slight problem that I have. The screen seems to be positioned far at top, thus resulting the first lines of text (like introduction text, lives etc) to be hidden and not visible during play. I'm using a Commodore 1084S-P2 monitor. I tried to change the pitch behind the monitor, fixed that, but when I load my Workbench my screen is low. Any ideas how to fix that? It seems that it doesn't happening to any other game I have played.
Yes, it's *almost* too high on my plasma tv.
Old 03 January 2014, 17:58   #60
duga

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbob42 View Post
Most Panasonic Drives have SMD-capacitors, which tend to leak over time. This will lead to read errors, especially with custom formats. I have put such a drive in my A1000 a while ago and it's got trouble with trackloaders and - most unfortunately - the Kickstart-disk. :-)

Check your drive, clean it and replace the capacitors with ceramic ones. IIRC someone on EAB described exactly that procedure a few days ago.

A lot of drives were tested with Solid Gold and the best performer here was the Chinon FB354, which has no SMD caps at all. Never had any issues when running the game from UAE or HxC-Floppy, too.

Another option will be WHDLoad; I myself am eagerly awaiting Codetapper's upcoming slave.

Edit: Or Stingray's - whoever gets there first
I've swapped the disk drives, it's working now on the ACA620 machine. Both from floppy and via WHDload.

I'll test later with the "bad" drive on the other A600 too see if the same problem happens on that machine.