English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > Collections

Old 15 January 2018, 22:53   #121
Divu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1time View Post
Have anything rare been found so far?
Yep. Some BS1 intros and other intros not yet listed on Kestra Bitworld v2.

Old 15 January 2018, 23:15   #122
andyhants

Forigve me if someone has already pointed this out but looking through the 'content' files for each Part posted on www.amigaclub.be/bs1/ it looks like the content for Part 20 & Part 21 are actually the same ?

It looks like the content file for Part 20 got posted for Part 21 too but I could be wrong.

In any case as with others in the community a huge thanks for all your efforts on this - great to see such a historic disk set preserved like this !
Old 15 January 2018, 23:29   #123
SimonV

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhants View Post
Forigve me if someone has already pointed this out but looking through the 'content' files for each Part posted on www.amigaclub.be/bs1/ it looks like the content for Part 20 & Part 21 are actually the same ?

It looks like the content file for Part 20 got posted for Part 21 too but I could be wrong.

In any case as with others in the community a huge thanks for all your efforts on this - great to see such a historic disk set preserved like this !
I just noticed that, 21 is not correct. We will change it asap
Old 16 January 2018, 05:01   #124
ASM68

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade View Post
Yeah on the bs1 site now browsing the contents. I never knew the Amiga had a punisher game
I am sure there will be more surprises. Do the sources assemble?
Old 16 January 2018, 05:13   #125
ASM68

@ SimonV, Steffest and former mass dumpers:

Are you using multiple disk drives for dumping at the same time?
What is possible?
Old 16 January 2018, 05:45   #126
ASM68

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoUP View Post
We’ve got him covered here in Gothenburg, stay tuned!
Great! Any news?
Do you plan to use the KryoFlux? It would be best because it is an awesome device that can copy everything from unreadable disks up to copyprotections.

If you do not own such a device, I can send you some cash via Paysavecard. It is very popular and most supermarkets offer it. It is not registered and for spending money on the net. This way you can save your money on things that you normally buy and use your own money and buy the KryoFlux. I can send the number via PM today.

Let`s see what the others say how many devices are needed.
Old 16 January 2018, 07:51   #127
IvanEBC

Hiya everyone. What an incredible find and amazing community to pull this off. I got back into the community myself a few years back trying to track down a few things i made and got released, not really scene demos, but something like this gives me hope that maybe they'll be found.

drfsilver.... right now - the last "clean" version is part 16, does that mean everything BEFORE 16 is already clean for those without a clean version? I'm using real Amigas mostly and not really wanting to infect my Amiga... Virus Z or not....
So when the next "clean" version comes out (say 19 as example) that means i can grab 17-19 safely and wait for the next clean and so on?

Thanks everyone
Old 16 January 2018, 08:04   #128
Steffest

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhants View Post
It looks like the content file for Part 20 got posted for Part 21 too.
Right ... Fixed!
Old 16 January 2018, 10:49   #129
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASM68 View Post
There are two different values that not everybody can see:

The value of the data:
The second is the value of the whole "thing".
I would format them, then bundle them up in blocks of 10 and sell them. up to four boxes per customer. That way they continue to be useful for as long as they last, and everyone gets to enjoy them.
Old 16 January 2018, 10:50   #130
SimonV

Quote:
@ SimonV, Steffest and former mass dumpers:

Are you using multiple disk drives for dumping at the same time?
What is possible?
You can only dump from one diskdrive at a time with diskripper. And when I tried to use multiple copies of TSgui at once they had to share bandwidth of the drives and everything went at half speed... the drives are connected in a serial way to your Amiga so I guess there's the problem.

We all use our Amiga to do the job as we don't have Kryofluxes... I guess we need one to do the nibblecopies and other non working disks. An alternative is that pre-kryoflu- hardware piece of software to do the dumping of those but that takes ages and isn't exactly all that healthy for every drive.

About the cleaning. As far as I understood this comes in no particular order because some boxes are easy and others are not at all and thus requiring more work to fix. So what you see is effectively available, others are still worked on.
Old 16 January 2018, 10:57   #131
SimonV

And here's nr 22 by the way. This box was called G1, where the G stands for GAME . So might be some early things here although my guess is as good as yours.

* note there was a small error in torrent 22, had to upload a new version. So if you have a slow download you might have the old torrent.
Attached Files
File Type: zip bs1_22.zip (26.3 KB, 123 views)

Last edited by SimonV; 16 January 2018 at 11:24.
Old 16 January 2018, 12:50   #132
mark_k

What difference is there between the old and new 22 torrents? I downloaded and am seeding it but maybe I got the old one? [Edit: Re-downloaded, did have the newer one.]

Last edited by mark_k; 16 January 2018 at 13:34.
Old 16 January 2018, 13:43   #133
SimonV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_k View Post
What difference is there between the old and new 22 torrents? I downloaded and am seeding it but maybe I got the old one? [Edit: Re-downloaded, did have the newer one.]
Me not being awake this morning, first a naming error and secondly there was only the readme ...
Old 16 January 2018, 18:56   #134
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
I have fixed the quartex crack of the game Quasar which remained broken since so many years. In the zone
Old 16 January 2018, 19:33   #135
amigatv

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
you won't. We're in 2017.
Old 16 January 2018, 22:43   #136
mark_k

It would be great if when dumping future disks, some kind of unique ID could be part of each filename. For example BS1-07-065_whatever.adf for the 65th disk from box #7. Currently many ADF filenames are generated from the AmigaDOS volume name which can result in confusion and in some cases isn't helpful. E.g. there are several disks with volume name Empty since the creator didn't bother changing the default name after formatting a new disk.

Having IDs like that would also be good because:
- You can easily tell the ADF came from the BS1 collection.
- It's obvious which disks are missing/not present because they were unreadable etc.
- You can easily identify disks which are part of a set. At the moment, the only way is to sort by date (not alphabetically), and hope they were dumped in order. That's not always the case: ~130 ADFs in several parts have datestamps in 1995(!). And file dates are fragile, easily lost. For example try unpacking a .zip on an Android phone/tablet: all file dates are reset to the current. AmigaDOS Copy command without CLONE also loses file dates.

Here's an example of a not-obvious-from-names disk set: in part 11, a three-disk Quarterback backup set: B2256.adf, Digita Print HD.adf, empty^3.adf
Old 16 January 2018, 22:50   #137
DamienD
Banned

Some very good points there mark_k.

It's very important to have a robust catalogue method for these as without; identifying / correcting in future will be all the harder.
Old 16 January 2018, 22:53   #138
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_k View Post
It would be great if when dumping future disks, some kind of unique ID could be part of each filename. For example BS1-07-065_whatever.adf for the 65th disk from box #7. Currently many ADF filenames are generated from the AmigaDOS volume name which can result in confusion and in some cases isn't helpful. E.g. there are several disks with volume name Empty since the creator didn't bother changing the default name after formatting a new disk.

Having IDs like that would also be good because:
- You can easily tell the ADF came from the BS1 collection.
- It's obvious which disks are missing/not present because they were unreadable etc.
- You can easily identify disks which are part of a set. At the moment, the only way is to sort by date (not alphabetically), and hope they were dumped in order. That's not always the case: ~130 ADFs in several parts have datestamps in 1995(!). And file dates are fragile, easily lost. For example try unpacking a .zip on an Android phone/tablet: all file dates are reset to the current. AmigaDOS Copy command without CLONE also loses file dates.

Here's an example of a not-obvious-from-names disk set: in part 11, a three-disk Quarterback backup set: B2256.adf, Digita Print HD.adf, empty^3.adf
I'm doing the renaming. Kill the doubles (with same CRC), and get the right names.
Old 17 January 2018, 05:00   #139
ASM68

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
You can only dump from one diskdrive at a time with diskripper.
We all use our Amiga to do the job as we don't have Kryofluxes... I guess we need one to do the nibblecopies and other non working disks. An alternative is that pre-kryoflu- hardware piece of software to do the dumping of those but that takes ages and isn't exactly all that healthy for every drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
I am even afraid to say how many disks I was offered or asked to help with since this started... for now I don't try to think about it.

You are doing all this work with only one drive each ?!? Now it makes even more sense why you wrote that you don`t try to think about the next dumps.
I can`t believe what you are doing for all of us, but please stop.
If it would be the only possibility, fine, but it`s not.

The Kryoflux was sold out but it is expected to be back in stock today.
Basic edition costs 99.95 Euro, premium edition is not listed rightnow but was with cables and power supply 127.95 Euro plus shipping. Also the floppy drives are needed which are cheap.

I read that a third person is also dumping. The person that works the longest per day needs the most drives or even all, so the others can take a break and then exchange the drives.
How many Kryoflux do you need? 6, 8 more?

I´m sure a lot of users will help so you don`t have to work like this!
I can send you some cash via PM with a Paysavecard number.

@ all: Do not send both anything rightnow. Let`s see what they think.
Old 17 January 2018, 07:31   #140
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:
I am sure there will be more surprises. Do the sources assemble?
I had a quick browse and they org $50000 and some of the disks also come with seka on it. I like my file requesters so will have a proper play this weekend.

But I have not seen many h/p/c/v apps, only whitebox #4, so hopefully some more show their head later on

This is one impressive collection though, I wonder how much they spent on the floppy disks at the time