English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 05 September 2006, 16:36   #1
amiga

Give VmwAROS a go (was: New Amithlon Kernel available !!!)

Work on kernel 3.10 is finally done and it is available from the downloads section, along with a new pack of linux-side drivers (0.90).

Highlights of this new release are:
  • Support for more GeForce FX models (ie, 5700, 5100, etc)
  • Support for GeForce PCX PCI-Express cards.
  • General bugfixes to the GeForce and Radeon drivers.
  • SATA support (yay!) for VIA 8237 and NVidia NForce 3/4 chipsets.
  • Gigabit ethernet via the VIA 6120 & 6122 Velocity chips.
  • Ethernet driver for NForce 3/4 chipsets.
  • Support for more AC97 audio codecs.

Last edited by amiga; 10 February 2009 at 09:50.
Old 05 September 2006, 19:19   #2
Paul
RIP Friends

Added more information to amiga's posts copied from link.
Old 05 September 2006, 21:29   #3
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

WOOHOO!!!!!

Many thanks GC
Old 05 September 2006, 22:41   #4
Ultron
Something

Good news, bud.
Old 06 September 2006, 01:11   #5
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Hmmmm, and this means ????????????????

Oh wait, this means that I dont have Amithlon.
Old 06 September 2006, 14:01   #6
mr_0rga5m
Tik Gora :D

Yea i'm not sure what you do with this new Kernal thingy either ...

The page is shite .. explains nothing.
Old 06 September 2006, 14:25   #7
amiga

@mr_0rga5m:

The forum dedicated to amithlon is:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amithlonopen

Go there if u want clarifications.
Old 06 September 2006, 17:44   #8
Photon

Every page hosting software should have an About button, like in the Help menu of utilities Went there and I still have no idea what that project is about.

Why not just tell us what it is and what it does, amiga?
Old 06 September 2006, 17:47   #9
Photon

OK found out it's an operating system for PC emulating the Amiga operating system. Hmm...
Old 06 September 2006, 17:59   #10
BippyM
Global Moderator

that wont play non-system friendly games.... even bigger HMMMMMmmmmm
Old 06 September 2006, 18:14   #11
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

*pouts* why cant they just bloddy well open source it!!!!!!!!!
Old 06 September 2006, 19:30   #12
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

For those that don't know...

Amithlon makes x86 hardware look like an Amiga + RTG + AHI to AmigaOS ( Or a Draco if you prefer )

Why?
You get a VERY fast 68k Amiga for all the kinds of software that can use such a system.

No chipset emulation...
Part of the reason why it's so fast & as AmigaOS does not sit on top of UAE + HostOS etc you get a system that behaves like a fast Amiga, not an emulation.
If you want to run software needing the chipset - 68kE-UAE works fine.

Open Source?
The kernel is... it's the Linux base for Amithlon that makes a PC look like an Amiga. I believe Gary has problems with bandwidth, which is why he doesn't post the sources, but if you ask he will send... eventually - it is a part-time project.
The rest is the property of Amiga.inc, Bernie Meyer, and Haage+Partner. To cut a very long story short I'm sure Bernie would be happy to open source Amithlon ( which would aid further much needed development ) but the other parties have 'issues' shall I say.

Here endeth the lesson.
Old 06 September 2006, 22:01   #13
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

thanks for the info charlie....

heres a quick begging to gary.... please please please...

I see those primary two names (amiga inc, huage & partner) that hold back the full potential of amiga.

i would be interested to see how it would handle non-custom screen modes.. even with screen promotion lol.. and how quick imagine would render on a 3200x86
Old 08 September 2006, 15:22   #14
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

I don't have a copy of imagine, but for v.rough comparison my 3200x86 'Amiga' will run Quake I in 640x480 @ about 140fps compared to an '060-50 with rtg @ about 3fps - according to AmigaActive. All software rendered, so hopefully a fair comparison of raw processing speed.
No - AmigaOS does not need this kind of speed but it is handy for tasks like rendering, processing mp3's etc.

In other respects if it will dispaly under Picasso96 ( with modepro if needed ) it will run on Amithlon. My install is also setup to Point E-UAE to my sys: partition so I've got chipset access on a seperate screen when needed.

I bought two boxed copies of Amithlon before Amiga.inc decided H+P didn't have the right to sell it...
Sooo, if anyone wants to give my spare a try let me know.

It would be least bother to me if I sent an .iso for testing & if found useful post the original for a small donation.
This would also allow me to include some updates & setup guide as it can be quite tricky - esp on more modern hardware.

I will need the blessing of one of the moderators first before sending anything & I have only one spare copy!
Old 08 September 2006, 15:52   #15
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

considering the *certain* tensions of late charlie i dont blame you for making sure so if all is okay , i am interested in testing. i will even build a couple of different rigs to test it on.

my plan is to look at the effcientcy of the x86 achitecture of the P4 1.5 and an AMD of the same specification. I would also like to see if the memory speed, access and size is a serious consideration factor. as a foot note to compare this with a 64bit chip running it as well.

I want to look at different onboard resources including sound cards (from onboard ac97 to a couple of CMI8837/9 chipsets) as well as USB stacks (1.1/2.1) noting if at all the smooth transparency of such components (including scsi devices)..

and finally i want to test this again a QNX solution for the 68k / x86 set of architectures...

I am interested in reviewing source comparing it to X11 (wich i have laying arround here somewhere)

phew.... sounds like a task and a half....
Old 08 September 2006, 17:48   #16
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Hi Zetr0,
I was hoping you would be interested... I suspect Gary is currently the only one with any real tallent still actively playing with Amithlon & if I can get others involved. ( My ulterior motive )

The QNX version is very underrated - lacking some speed, but inheriting more compatibility.

I've got two copies because of some wild clicking on my part when I ordered it years ago - I never got round to returning one!

In my own experience you won't go far wrong with 32bit VIA based mobo's. nForce2's too.
It was written with AMD in mind, but works fine on Intel ( with an update )
Some AMD64 systems work, but as I don't have one, couldn't say.
GFX? - nVidia is best supported. The Voodoo3 PCI will also work with Ward3D under Amithlon if you know how to fiddle with the driver. ( There was never offical support due to the usual amiga in-fighting ) It all runs through Linux's framebuffer.
Sound? - some ac97's are supported but not all, SB128 & SBLive! are other obvoius ones.
USB? - Poseidon works very well.
SATA? - if enabled can stop Amithlon booting depending on your system. ( See latest kernel update )
SISI? - if it's PCI & you can find/write a driver it should work much as if you had a Mediator-equiped Amiga.
( Interstingly PCIe looks like PCI to Amithlon so this doesn't have to be a problem, though device numbers may need altering )

I hope the above helps - more to be found searching: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amithlonopen

If you remain interested I'll send a copy for evaluation. ( inc updates ) It will be in the region of 65mb at a guess.

I prefer to do it this way as I have only one spare copy & I'd like to hope it goes to someone who finds it useful.

If the moderators aren't happy I'm only after postage costs for the boxed set, so let me know & I'll include a cd with any extras/updates I have.

Last edited by Charlie; 08 September 2006 at 19:55.
Old 08 September 2006, 17:51   #17
BippyM
Global Moderator

If this turns into a proper functional and useable OS (working on more system setups) then I'll definately consider purchasing it.

Needs to run all OS legal 68k code and also perhaps code that hits the hardware (in the future)

Amiga on x86 could be good
Old 08 September 2006, 18:15   #18
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Is this new kernel to replace the one on the bootdisk? I want to boot with an updated kernel if it's possible.
Old 08 September 2006, 18:18   #19
Ultron
Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
Open Source?
The kernel is... it's the Linux base for Amithlon that makes a PC look like an Amiga. I believe Gary has problems with bandwidth, which is why he doesn't post the sources, but if you ask he will send... eventually - it is a part-time project.
What about sourceforge?
Old 08 September 2006, 18:23   #20
Ultron
Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym
If this turns into a proper functional and useable OS (working on more system setups) then I'll definately consider purchasing it.

Needs to run all OS legal 68k code and also perhaps code that hits the hardware (in the future)

Amiga on x86 could be good
I thought everyone knew about the Bernie Meyer \ HP scandal by now...