English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 30 May 2002, 23:42   #1
Pyromania

Pegasos Amiga clone running MorphOS started shipping today.

http://www.thendic-france.com/tech/U...os/pegasos.htm

For those that don't know the Pegasos is an Amiga clone that has been being designed for a long time. It is from some of the software/hardware creators of the Phase5 Amiga PowerPC cards. It started shipping today and includes Linux and MorphOS. MorphOS is a PowerPC OS that runs Amiga 68X applications and PPC MorphOS applications like UAE, SCUMM & MAME. MorphOS also runs on Amigas that have PowerPC cards. I am surprised they beat the AmigaOne to market. Pegasos will not run Amiga OS 4.0 until they get a lincence from Amiga Inc. I hear Amiga Inc. don't like MorphOS. Nice to see a compatible Amiga clone that is PowerPC based shipping, come on AmigaOne team your next.
Old 31 May 2002, 00:08   #2
Pyromania

More info on Pegasos

Pegasos is a PowerPC G3 or G4 system and already has firewire and a DV based effects package available called Motion Studio.

http://www.titan-computer.com/motionstudio/index.html

Programmers will like the fact that MorphOS has a port of GCC 68k
crosscompiler PPC hosted and CygnusEd.

http://www.morphos.de/fileslinks.php3

Apache and the webbrower Voyager v3 that supports flash and pdf is
also available as fast PowerPC applications.
Old 31 May 2002, 01:05   #3
rlake
Hittin' the hardware...

Looks like a nice board. What's the reason for Amiga Inc. not liking MorphOS? I would have thought they'd be backing all hardware capable of running OS 4.0.
Old 31 May 2002, 01:55   #4
Djay
95th User

Questions

am i right in thinking that this will read and run PROPER amiga software?

will in be easily available in the UK?

how much does this thing cost?

if it will run OLD-SKOOL amiga software, will it run them too fast?

will the AmigaOne do exactly the same stuff?

would YOU buy this?

i these are kinda difficult questions to answer, if you have seen the same info as i have, but you may of mail them with simiular questions and got an answer, thx for your time
Old 31 May 2002, 02:30   #5
rlake
Hittin' the hardware...

I can answer a couple of those...

- It runs classic Amiga software that makes proper use of the O/S. For other software a port of UAE is available, so OLD-SKOOL games should work as well as they are emulated.

- Same as AmigaOne? No, not if you want to make use of Amiga OS 4.0 and whatever features that has because it won't have the BIOS required to legally support it.

- I won't buy it because I don't have any disposable income at this point in time! (...but I also don't know how much it costs, whether there will be bundles or offers or whatever)
Old 31 May 2002, 03:57   #6
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally posted by rlake
Looks like a nice board. What's the reason for Amiga Inc. not liking MorphOS? I would have thought they'd be backing all hardware capable of running OS 4.0.
Amiga Inc. like the Pegasos hardware but not MorphOS, why? MorphOS is an operating system that competes with Amiga OS 4.0
Old 31 May 2002, 10:13   #7
oldpx

This is pathetic. Why would anyone buy an Amiga-clone (whatever it is) to run UAE!!! We already have WinUAE which beats any uae. I'm talking about MorphOS. Pegasos may be a good piece of hardware but looks like it's as Amiga as UAE and Amithlon combined.

Old 31 May 2002, 10:24   #8
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally posted by Burseg
This is pathetic. Why would anyone buy an Amiga-clone (whatever it is) to run UAE!!! We already have WinUAE which beats any uae. I'm talking about MorphOS. Pegasos may be a good piece of hardware but looks like it's as Amiga as UAE and Amithlon combined.
Good point, Pegasos better hope that Amiga Inc. grant them a licence to include Amiga OS 4.0. There are some nice native MorphOS apps but this may not be the be the best UAE box. It is hard to compete with Toni
Old 01 June 2002, 01:40   #9
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
I thaught people liked the amiga's because of the way the proprietary hardware worked with the proprietary software. And this combination of proprietary software/hardware was years ahead of anything you could buy from other vendors.

So I wonder why would somebody buy any of the new hardware if you cant use any of the older hardware/software from the amiga on it. If you wanted to run software through an emulator you can already do that on cheap Wintel equipment.

And from what I seen of the new hardware people are selling, it is in no way equal to or even years ahead of anything the Wintel/Apple hardware can do.

I mean if Rolls Royce had gone out of buisiness in the early 90's would you buy a Ford Taurus from me for alot of money if I put a Rolls hood ornament on it?

I'm not nocking the Old Amiga (especially since I have recently purchased an A500, addons, 1084 monitor etc), but unless 1 company is going to spend the cash to create a new industry revolutionary Amiga hardware platform with tightly integrated software its just not an amiga anymore.
Old 01 June 2002, 02:31   #10
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
I thaught people liked the amiga's because of the way the proprietary hardware worked with the proprietary software. And this combination of proprietary software/hardware was years ahead of anything you could buy from other vendors.

So I wonder why would somebody buy any of the new hardware if you cant use any of the older hardware/software from the amiga on it. If you wanted to run software through an emulator you can already do that on cheap Wintel equipment.

And from what I seen of the new hardware people are selling, it is in no way equal to or even years ahead of anything the Wintel/Apple hardware can do.

I mean if Rolls Royce had gone out of buisiness in the early 90's would you buy a Ford Taurus from me for alot of money if I put a Rolls hood ornament on it?

I'm not nocking the Old Amiga (especially since I have recently purchased an A500, addons, 1084 monitor etc), but unless 1 company is going to spend the cash to create a new industry revolutionary Amiga hardware platform with tightly integrated software its just not an amiga anymore.
You might have a point. you can't use the Video Toaster Flyer, Phonepak or any other video slot or zorro cards from the Amiga, this is sad. The AmigaOne does offer a PCI card that links to an A1200 motherboard though.
Old 01 June 2002, 02:38   #11
Pyromania

That being sad I am glad that some type of new Amiga will be on the market. These machines are better than PC's and I do believe that as custom logic VSLI chips get better and better someone will recreate an very fast classic zorro and PCI based Amiga by reprogramming the logic on these chips to support AGA and Amiga timing. This may be a few years off but will happen. WinUAE, AmigaOne, SharkPPC, Pegasos, Amithlon will keep the amiga alive until this happens.
Old 01 June 2002, 03:27   #12
andy
Back.

Not intended as critical, Pyro...

Do you *really* believe that this *will* happen?

Amigas *are* special; but so much has moved on. Well, sort of (in the case of Wintel boxes)! lol

Is there really a sizeable market to support such things? I'm genuinely asking for your opinion, as it's hard to gauge things just from a few newsgroups and forums. There may be a lot of die-hards out there; but is it enough?

Whatever happens, you've got to love the idea of the Amiga fighting back (or even 'treading water'), haven't you? We can but hope... and we Brits like an 'underdog'!

P.S. I should perhaps add that I'm not anti-x86 systems (my main system is a P2-350). I like all hardware/games consoles/whatever. It's what's on them that counts. The Amiga will always have that 'special something' though...
Old 01 June 2002, 05:40   #13
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally posted by andy
Not intended as critical, Pyro...

Do you *really* believe that this *will* happen?

Amigas *are* special; but so much has moved on. Well, sort of (in the case of Wintel boxes)! lol

Is there really a sizeable market to support such things? I'm genuinely asking for your opinion, as it's hard to gauge things just from a few newsgroups and forums. There may be a lot of die-hards out there; but is it enough?

Whatever happens, you've got to love the idea of the Amiga fighting back (or even 'treading water'), haven't you? We can but hope... and we Brits like an 'underdog'!

P.S. I should perhaps add that I'm not anti-x86 systems (my main system is a P2-350). I like all hardware/games consoles/whatever. It's what's on them that counts. The Amiga will always have that 'special something' though...
In the future Custom VSLI chips could be flashed with the AGA feature set at a very low cost; such will be the advantage of such technology. A hobbyist company could start selling machines, look at what has been done with the CommodoreOne and this is before these powerful chips are available to the masses. The CommodoreOne does not use them but shows what one talented C-64 enthusiast can do. Our goal today as Amiga users is to keep the Amiga OS alive with things like WinUAE, AmigaForever, Amithlon, AmigaXL, AmigaOne etc. so that when that day comes that a enhanced old school AGA+ machine with Zorro III/PCI/AGP and a video slot can be produced at a low cost Amiga users will still be around. WinUAE today supports features that no real Amiga has like 8 MB of Chip Ram and recorded AVI. Sure WinUAE does not do some things that a real Amiga does like screen dragging and a few other features. But it is only a matter of time before custom programmable hardware will be able to do this. Today’s goal it to keep Amiga OS alive and run it everywhere so that it becomes ubiquitous. Windows is a bore, as more and more old time and new Amiga owners use Amiga OS thru emulation and PPC machines developers will return and new developers will be born. At my part time Amiga company I have 6 new products in development for the Amiga, other developers will follow.

Last edited by Pyromania; 01 June 2002 at 10:58.
Old 01 June 2002, 09:22   #14
andy
Back.

You're boosting my hopes, Pyro

I too have been following the progress of CommodoreOne - largely through comp.sys.cbm - and there's plenty of speculation and dreaming about what might be, were the Amiga to recieve the same attention and development.

Despite now using Windows in my main system, having 'graduated' through all Commodore generations (including the odd calculator!), I still can't leave my 'old friend' alone... even if it is often through emulation, I still feel as if I am using an Amiga (and use it with the same spirit that I had several years ago).

As ever, I love your spin on things: that we as users, along with all the ways of accessing the Amiga OS, should (and do) keep Amiga alive - perhaps picking up a few new fans/converts, in the process. And the Amiga has so many ways of doing that, doesn't it?

Your last sentence is probably one of the best things that I have read for a while. Even if it's not directly relevant to me, it's always good to hear that development continues (and that someone still wants to).
Old 25 September 2006, 07:30   #15
keropi

so, how much does it cost? 500euro?
the 1st link is not working anymore...
Old 25 September 2006, 07:35   #16
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
The original post is from 2002, did that product ever get made?
Old 25 September 2006, 07:49   #17
keropi

oh sh!t, did not notice that... lol
Old 25 September 2006, 12:25   #18
Raislin77it
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown_K
The original post is from 2002, did that product ever get made?
Yep go to http://www.pegasosppc.com/software.php
Old 25 September 2006, 15:31   #19
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

"Sure WinUAE does not do some things that a real Amiga does like screen dragging and a few other features"

Are you sure of that?