English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 02 April 2012, 12:20   #1
darkwave

Andy Davidson rejoins Team 17 after 14 years

http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/...ws.asp?c=39460

While not strictly Amiga related, it's nice to see that Andy Davidson will have a part in the new Worms game from Team 17. I for one have very fond memories of Worms on the Amiga, particularly Director's Cut.
Old 02 April 2012, 22:06   #2
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
Yeah. I remember him on the #Amiga channel on irc. I gave him an 030 or 060 lib I think.. he said he would put my name in the game.

Never did
Old 02 April 2012, 22:12   #3
fryguy

Cool! I still think Worms DC is the best Worms game released. If only it had TCP/IP support...
Old 02 April 2012, 22:16   #4
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Mad that the next Worms game isn't for iOS and Android!
Old 02 April 2012, 22:21   #5
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Sadly, I don't have Worms on the Amiga, but I have Worms on the Sega Megadrive, Worms Armegeddon and Worms World Party on the Dreamcast

Regards,
Lonewolf10
Old 02 April 2012, 23:02   #6
amigakit.com

Everyone should have Worms on the Amiga :-) It is the definitive version, where it all started.

Andy Davidson won the Amiga Format competition to make an Amiga game. His effort was originally called Total Wormage if I recall correctly. When it went commercial, it evolved into Worms
Old 03 April 2012, 09:20   #7
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
Everyone should have Worms on the Amiga :-) It is the definitive version, where it all started.
Aye! IMHO Worms: Director's Cut is the best version across formats for the first installment, probably because it was Team 17's swansong on the Amiga.

Quote:
Andy Davidson won the Amiga Format competition to make an Amiga game. His effort was originally called Total Wormage if I recall correctly. When it went commercial, it evolved into Worms
Yep it was called Total Wormage and he entered it in an Amiga Format Blitz Basic competition. Strangely, he didn't hear anything back from AF, though, or a bunch of software houses that he sent the game too......so he showed it to Team 17 at the ECTS show as a last ditch effort. They quickly snapped it up and the rest is history.........

Amiga Format (Jan 95) - see the article on pp34-37

Good to see that Andy Davidson's rediscovered his enthusiasm for making games after spending a fair time out of the industry! Just wonder if he'll ever move on to something beyond Worms........
Old 03 April 2012, 12:41   #8
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong View Post
Aye! IMHO Worms: Director's Cut is the best version across formats for the first installment, probably because it was Team 17's swansong on the Amiga.
There are a few features from the PC version that I believe DC is missing. I had Worms on Amiga, then later Worms United on PC and only a few years ago I played DC (whdload version). So perhaps I have missed something but I tested a bit and never found them. Feel free to correct me, I'd be more happy to have a version that has all the features.

- Coloured team names. Well, you can have the team number in front of the name in DC (or cycle through team/all names display), but frankly coloured names make it far quicker to distinguish.

- Possibility to zoom out/in with the M key (on QWERTY keyboards). It helps a lot with some weapons or to plan tactics better.
It might seem cheap when you are used to play and aim only by moving the mouse on the screen, but once you get used to it, it seems quite natural.

- The most important in my opinion. If you choose to activate it in the options, you can play the worm of your choice during your turn.
The game cycles through each of your worm as it normally does. However, once your turn begins, as long as you have not moved, you can press Tab to switch to another of your worms and take control of it.

It really changes the gameplay. Not only does it open more options for you but you also cannot be sure which worm your opponent(s) will play next.
Old 03 April 2012, 12:48   #9
wanderer
I want an A1000

It seems Team 17 are all about Worms these days... How amazing a Superfrog remake would be?
Old 03 April 2012, 14:00   #10
S0ulA55a551n

Worms 2 - amergaegeddon is the best version in the series
Old 04 April 2012, 07:11   #11
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Man multiplayer worms on the 500 was awesome.Me and 3 friends used to play that game for hours as teenagers.Most of the time we played it stoned.What we really got a kick out of was giving our worms perverted names as you could name them all.The ninja rope could be used as a weapon too though it wasnt intended to be used like that.Actually the glitches and physics made the amiga version the best.The later versions were too polished.ie dreamcast version etc.
Old 04 April 2012, 07:36   #12
cronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
It seems Team 17 are all about Worms these days... How amazing a Superfrog remake would be?
I find that the recent 3D versions of worms sucks. Wormux is not too bad though (www.wormux.org). But the Amiga version of Worms Armageddon is still my favourite.

I felt that the recent releases of Alien Breed were quite good, but I also knew a lot of people who hated them. I wouldn't want to see a 3D version of Superfrog. Best to leave classic games alone I think.
Old 04 April 2012, 10:15   #13
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post
There are a few features from the PC version that I believe DC is missing. I had Worms on Amiga, then later Worms United on PC and only a few years ago I played DC (whdload version). So perhaps I have missed something but I tested a bit and never found them.
Are you talking about Worms or Worms 2 on the PC (can't say I'm familiar with Worms United)? The only obvious thing I remember Worms DC being inferior on compared to Worms on the PC was the multiplayer option, but I haven't played either for at least a few years now. As S0ulA55a551n said, Worms 2: Armageddon was probably the best of the lot. Can't see that any 3D incarnation will ever recapture the magic of the early 2D games.
Old 04 April 2012, 11:38   #14
wanderer
I want an A1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronos View Post
I felt that the recent releases of Alien Breed were quite good, but I also knew a lot of people who hated them. I wouldn't want to see a 3D version of Superfrog. Best to leave classic games alone I think.
I agree, not Superfrog 3D for God's sake! I meant a full-blown, graphically gorgeous 2D platform comeback.
Old 04 April 2012, 13:54   #15
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong View Post
Are you talking about Worms or Worms 2 on the PC (can't say I'm familiar with Worms United)?
Worms 1. Worms United is Worms 1 + the Worms Reinforcements add-on.
I don't think I ever played the original PC version of Worms 1, so I don't know if the features I mentioned came with the add-on or where there originally.
Old 04 April 2012, 13:57   #16
Amiga Forever

How about

BODY BLOW ONLINE
Assassin Remake
Old 04 April 2012, 14:03   #17
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

If he's gone back to Team 17 just to continue Worms, then his 14 year hiatus was a waste of time.

Worms is done to death, and theres nothing that can be added to make it fresh.

Its nearly as bad as Fifa with its yearly releases, adding very little but charging a lot of money for that very little.

Worms when it was released was a great game, but both Davidson and Team 17 are flogging a dead worm. Where the fuck has all the talent at Team 17 gone?
Old 04 April 2012, 21:46   #18
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Don't ignore the new line of Alien Breed games, they're acceptable enough. They could have been a lot better though, a bit more variety would have been nice

Superfrog remake: certainly not impossible now that 2d platformers have made a surprising come back. I even have Sonic 4 in my Steam wish list, for the PC :s :s
Old 05 April 2012, 19:44   #19
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post
Worms 1. Worms United is Worms 1 + the Worms Reinforcements add-on.
I don't think I ever played the original PC version of Worms 1, so I don't know if the features I mentioned came with the add-on or where there originally.
Might have been with the add-on, which I probably never experienced on PC. I don't remember them in the original, but admittedly it's going back a while. Worms DC probably wasn't worth buying back in the day if you'd already bought Worms, but it was the best all-in-one computer version of Worms IMHO (never played the console versions). Your mileage may vary obviously.

@Galahad
I was kinda getting at the same thing in my previous post, but I see you didn't fuck around and went straight to the guts of the matter! Be nice to see Andy Davidson and Team 17 live a little and branch away from the "safe" retro franchise games. Doubt it will happen anytime soon, though, if at all. Ah well......such is life!
Old 12 April 2012, 12:59   #20
Ze Emulatron

Quote:
I agree, not Superfrog 3D for God's sake! I meant a full-blown, graphically gorgeous 2D platform comeback.
I would like a new 2D Superfrog, I have read that Rayman has had a 2d comeback in Rayman Origins. I haven't played it yet but have heard good things.

If someone creates a new 2D Superfrog about as good as I have heard Rayman Origins is I would be happy.