English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 14 May 2016, 17:41   #61
Starglider 2

Thank you so much!

Cheers!
Old 15 May 2016, 06:40   #62
Starglider 2

I've tried 4 different versions of Thor 2.5, 2.6 and they all fail install at the point of setting up cfgtcp. Plus Thor looks horrible to use. YAM 1.3 by contrast looks perfect! If only I could get the mail past the SMTP server!

To confirm, I use 1&1 Internet who DO allow SMTP without auth. All I have to do is configure YAM 1.3 to send mail as follows:
smtp.1and1.com (done)
Port 25 (problem: cannot specify)
Authentication: OFF/NO (problem: cannot specify)

One thought I had is if you could set that up in YAM for 68020 then show me your SMTP settings that appear in the .config file? If I add them to my .config in YAM 1.3 it just might work, you never know. Here are mine for comparison: https://goo.gl/msXZwj

Failing that, I'm challenging someone to hack the code of YAM 1.3 to set that up.

(Last thought, are there any programs that trick other programs on A500+ to believe they are running in an 68020 environment when really it's a 68000? Edit: Found one here but it doesn't work for YAM 2.9: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=1089279)

Last edited by Starglider 2; 15 May 2016 at 08:44.
Old 16 May 2016, 02:50   #63
idrougge

Thor is wonderful to use.
Old 16 May 2016, 02:52   #64
Starglider 2

OK then complicated and counter intuitive to set up. When I just want to check email and there's no email option to be found, and it starts asking me to set up a "System", I lose faith. Probably just me.

Cheers!
Old 16 May 2016, 12:26   #65
idrougge

That's because Thor is not an email reader – it's general message reader for all kinds of messaging systems. You need to create a system for your email.
Old 16 May 2016, 21:20   #66
Starglider 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
That's because Thor is not an email reader – it's general message reader for all kinds of messaging systems. You need to create a system for your email.
I appreciate your input. Personally, I'm ruling out Thor for my needs which is to quickly boot the A500+ and load my emails in a minimal way. Someone at the other thread is working on a 68k compile of YAM for that purpose.
Old 24 May 2016, 08:28   #67
Starglider 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
I had a little bit of hope *sigh* i'm sorry.
Maybe the yam.ch forum is a way to request a 68k build - but it looks a bit dead. even older posting did not got a response.
I wrote a ticket, asking for a 68k version on github repository - they will know if it is possbile at all.

i also zoned thor 2.6 and 2.6a ( one archive) - i hope they run on 68k.

#1) best example for BOFH - i wrote the ticket , he said: no we dont build 68k version - get a faster amiga or winuae ...
before i could answer he already _CLOSED_ my ticket - WTF is going on in amigaland ?
I wrote again - lets see what happens.
Any news or luck @emufan? We could be the first to get full email send and receive working on the A500 with modern SMTP servers.

Cheers!
Old 24 May 2016, 13:30   #68
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Something to look at is SimpleMail. I'm not sure if it requires higher than a 68000 or not but it works for me to connect IMAP to GMail.

http://simplemail.sourceforge.net/

Never mind....Just looked at the Simplemail.guide file

Hardware
- Amiga Computer
- at least 2 MB RAM
- 68020 CPU or higher

Last edited by SnkBitten; 24 May 2016 at 14:11.
Old 24 May 2016, 14:09   #69
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglider 2 View Post
Any news or luck @emufan? We could be the first to get full email send and receive working on the A500 with modern SMTP servers.

Cheers!
sorry for delay - I will try again, maybe with another toolchain/crosscompiler.
Old 24 May 2016, 19:04   #70
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnkBitten View Post
Something to look at is SimpleMail. I'm not sure if it requires higher than a 68000 or not but it works for me to connect IMAP to GMail.
Yep, needs 68020+ and has done so from day one IIRC. Much slicker than YAM for mine, with fewer bugs and has IMAP support. Worked well with Gmail when I was still using clients for email some years back rather than webmail exclusively.

@Starglider 2
I know one or two people in this thread are pushing on with a 68K compile of YAM, but there are actually quite a few commercial/shareware email clients from the late 90s and early 2000s that will run on an A500 (POP3/SMTP only, though). I've upped to the Zone: AEmail, Air Mail, Voodoo, Iris and Star Gate. Generally the greater the requirements, the more advanced the email client is.....so Star Gate is perhaps the best of the lot and needs 4-8MB ram.

All these email clients were pretty much finished off by YAM as it was being developed for free around the same time, and the original coder pretty good in keeping up with advances in email clients. At least that was the case until he decided to discontinue YAM development and released it under GPL in 2000. That's about the time SimpleMail arrived and its coders didn't muck about in adding IMAP support once it looked like establishing itself as a standard like POP3/SMTP.

Anyway, hope you find something that actually works and appeals to you on your A500 set-up. Let us know how you go......all the best!
Old 26 May 2016, 02:24   #71
Starglider 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong View Post
...there are actually quite a few commercial/shareware email clients from the late 90s and early 2000s that will run on an A500 (POP3/SMTP only, though). I've upped to the Zone: AEmail, Air Mail, Voodoo, Iris and Star Gate. Generally the greater the requirements, the more advanced the email client is.....so Star Gate is perhaps the best of the lot and needs 4-8MB ram.
Thanks a million! Any ideas which if any do support port selection and authentication disabling? If not I'll try them in order of size on the real A500.

Cheers!
Old 26 May 2016, 22:13   #72
Starglider 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong View Post
I've upped to the Zone: AEmail, Air Mail, Voodoo, Iris and Star Gate. Generally the greater the requirements, the more advanced the email client is.....so Star Gate is perhaps the best of the lot and needs 4-8MB ram.
Unfortunately StarGateV2.5.lha is corrupt. Have tried twice. If you have a moment to recreate the archive that would be lovely

Edit: Airmail and AEMail are corrupt too. "Unknown compression." Probably all of them are. I've been using lha x for years and never seen this problem. :|

Last edited by Starglider 2; 26 May 2016 at 22:22.
Old 26 May 2016, 23:06   #73
Starglider 2

Update: I found Stargate 2.2 but it keeps crashing ramlib. Doesn't bode well for that app.
Old 26 May 2016, 23:14   #74
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Bah! That's what I get for updating UltimateZip. StarGate has been re-upped, but I'll have to sort out the other archives another night.

As for your question re: port selection and disabling authentication, your best bet is to simply give 'em a try. I never had to use any of them back in the day because YAM and SimpleMail were free and were really that good. Looking through the docs of each email client, though, there's very little mention of either.....but then again the manuals aren't what you'd call comprehensive. My guess is that the newer clients are most likely to address port selection (if at all), but authentication options may be non-existent.

As an aside, there are a couple of email clients on Aminet that you could also try. One of them, Eucalyptus, does actually support port selection according to its manual.
Old 26 May 2016, 23:16   #75
Starglider 2

You're the best!

Cheers!
Old 28 May 2016, 19:58   #76
emufan

no prgress concerning yam - sorry - I'm a bit lazy atm :/

but did you tested simplemail already? I only read 68k , and no demand for 020+ cpu.
also the amissl3 you can have as a plain 68000 version which simplemail wants for smtps/tls.
I tried to manage to setup an a500 68k system in winuae , but i failed atm.
but running simplemail on this ( as of yet ) floppy based a500 68000 system-
simplemail does not refuse to start, it starts until it wants the muimaster.library.
Old 28 May 2016, 20:50   #77
Starglider 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
no prgress concerning yam - sorry - I'm a bit lazy atm :/

but did you tested simplemail already? I only read 68k , and no demand for 020+ cpu.
also the amissl3 you can have as a plain 68000 version which simplemail wants for smtps/tls.
I tried to manage to setup an a500 68k system in winuae , but i failed atm.
but running simplemail on this ( as of yet ) floppy based a500 68000 system-
simplemail does not refuse to start, it starts until it wants the muimaster.library.
SimpleMail gives me a program error on startup.

I simply need a 68k emailer with SMTP port and authentication options (to set authentication to "no") that doesn't crash my machine. Is that too much to ask?

(I know it is!)

I wonder if anybody is able to change the hex of YAM 1.3 to set the SMTP port to 25 and authentication to no.

Cheers!

Last edited by Starglider 2; 29 May 2016 at 06:09.
Old 28 May 2016, 23:11   #78
emufan

if this hackery for yam1.3 would work - that would be cool.
but where are the talented hackers here? :/

meanwhile i made a 68000 KS3.1 WB 3.1 setup and installed SimpleMail.
It needs some additional class file/libraries - not easy to find, but they are
still on aminet.
i zones SM68k-Libs.lha which includes all the class files for MUI and the original archives aswell. a little readme is included.
after extracting copy all files inside mui68k folder into MUI:libs/mui/ folder
doing so, will let SimpleMail start - so it does work on a simple 68000 cpu.
loading may take 15-20 second until you see the gui.

of course trouble again. the GUI is there, but i cannot see the menu entries
(see image attached). no idea what can cause this. need menu to setup servers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	simplemail.png
Views:	145
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	48641  
Old 28 May 2016, 23:37   #79
Starglider 2

It's a start!

Cheers!
Old 29 May 2016, 00:11   #80
emufan

yes, indeed: i changed the screenmode to 16 Colors in Hires (non interlaced)
and changed the default size of the screen to 640 x 512 ( use 400 for NTSC )
in Prefs Screenmode untick the default boxes, so you can make the screen larger than displayed.
so you have now have the visible menues and you can start configuration.
it again takes maybe 10-15 second until the configuration window will be visible

#1) you need to set the screensize at least to 640x512 (maybe 400 for NTSC works too )
so all the big windows will fit - you can ofcourse try interlaced screen, but choose 16 colors.

#2) if you need "security" (tls/smtps) you need to install AmiSSl3 (AmiSSL 3.6 68k installation archive) - this comes with a 68000 version.

#3) the problem with the menu seems to be a winuae problem - i have to enable "Immediate Blitter" in Chipset option.
then I can see the menu -, just had the same problem now with 16 colors.
so you will not have this trouble on your real amiga

#4) it is not so slow as it may sound - once it is started , it is working well- and fast enough.
just if you will open for example the configuration -it may take some seconds.
MUI has to do some work to get the things rendered :]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	simplemail68k.png
Views:	157
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	48642  

Last edited by emufan; 29 May 2016 at 00:51.