English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 24 March 2012, 00:05   #1
whitebird

amiga forever rom conversion

Hello,

Is there a tool that can convert an amiga forever encrypted rom file to a normal rom file that can be read by a real amiga or directly by winuae without the rom.key file?

Last edited by prowler; 24 March 2012 at 00:44. Reason: Oops! Hit 'Edit' instead of 'Quote'. :O
Old 24 March 2012, 00:43   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitebird View Post
Hello,

Is there a tool that can convert an amiga forever encrypted rom file to a normal rom file that can be read by a real amiga or directly by winuae without the rom.key file?
Yes, the version of WinUAE included with Amiga Forever will decrypt the ROMs for you if you use a ROM Grabber* and save it to a file.

* http://aminet.net/package/util/sys/SaveROM

Last edited by prowler; 24 March 2012 at 00:49.
Old 24 March 2012, 10:28   #3
whitebird

Thanks prowler.

I think I understand the method. The only problem is that the rom I want to decrypt is the logica dialoga diagnostic rom, and don't see how I could launch the ROM grabber under this ROM.
Old 24 March 2012, 22:41   #4
prowler
Global Moderator

Do you know for sure that it's encrypted? And why do you wish to decrypt the logica dialoga diagnostic ROM in particular?

If you are looking to burn it to an EPROM, you may be heading for trouble. It is widely believed that Amiga Kickstart ROMs got by decrypting the Amiga Forever versions cannot be used in that way, because they will be found to have been modified, though I have not yet actually verified that for myself.
Old 24 March 2012, 22:59   #5
whitebird

Yes, I know for sure it is encrypted because without the rom.key file in the folder, winuae cannot run it.

I thank it was only the encryption that makes unusable directly.

I want to burn it to an EPROM. But if it has been modified it will not run. So the best is to ask cloanto for an original rom. Don't know if the dialoga tool can be found elsewhere...
Old 24 March 2012, 23:17   #6
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Yes, I know for sure it is encrypted because without the rom.key file in the folder, winuae cannot run it.
Fair enough, that settles it.

Quote:
I thank it was only the encryption that makes unusable directly.
You may well be right. However, the rumour persists that Amiga Forever ROMS are modified to prevent their piracy.

Quote:
I want to burn it to an EPROM. But if it has been modified it will not run. So the best is to ask cloanto for an original rom.
Try burning it anyway. If it has not been modified, then it will run, but if it has and it does not run, then you can simply overwrite it next time. Or you could simply ask them if it has been modified instead and save yourself some time.

If it has been modified, then I doubt that they would be able to supply you with an unmodified ROM anyway.
Old 25 March 2012, 00:43   #7
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
If you are looking to burn it to an EPROM, you may be heading for trouble. It is widely believed that Amiga Kickstart ROMs got by decrypting the Amiga Forever versions cannot be used in that way, because they will be found to have been modified, though I have not yet actually verified that for myself.
I have. I only have Amiga Forever 6 to hand, but of the ROMs supplied with that, the Kickstart 3.0 and 3.1 ROMs are slightly mangled to prevent EPROM burning. It's quite clever actually - there's a "spare" bit in the opcode for the "moveq" instruction which is normally 0. They've changed that bit to 1 throughout the ROM, and programmed UAE's processor emulation to ignore it. Thus it works fine in UAE, but crashes on real hardware. As I say, it's only the 3.0 and 3.1 ROMs - presumably because earlier ones are no commercial threat.
Old 25 March 2012, 00:48   #8
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsonb5 View Post
I have. I only have Amiga Forever 6 to hand, but of the ROMs supplied with that, the Kickstart 3.0 and 3.1 ROMs are slightly mangled to prevent EPROM burning. It's quite clever actually - there's a "spare" bit in the opcode for the "moveq" instruction which is normally 0. They've changed that bit to 1 throughout the ROM, and programmed UAE's processor emulation to ignore it. Thus it works fine in UAE, but crashes on real hardware. As I say, it's only the 3.0 and 3.1 ROMs - presumably because earlier ones are no commercial threat.
Thanks for confirming that, and for the explanation.
Old 30 March 2012, 20:49   #9
whitebird

Hello, I think there are other changes that have been made to the ROMs:

Firstly the size is normally 524288 bytes for a 512K ROM, but there are 524299 bytes in amiga forever version, and after opening the file in a text editor, we can see that it starts with the string "AMIROMTYPE1". If only a bit was toggled the size would have remained unchanged.

Secondly, bytes n°4 to number 7 are the reset vector which is 00 F8 00 D2, and this sequence does not appear in the beginning, so there may be other changes to prevent burning...
Old 30 March 2012, 21:04   #10
prowler
Global Moderator

Granted, the size of the encrypted ROM is 524299 bytes, but after using a ROM grabber to decrypt the file you'll find it will have the expected size.
Old 30 March 2012, 22:17   #11
whitebird

OK, and do we find the sequence 00 F8 00 D2 at the beginning of the grabbed ROM?

Unfortunately, as already said I cannot use a rom grabber to save the logica rom because there is now ay to lauch the grabber in the diagnostic environment.
Old 30 March 2012, 22:29   #12
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
OK, and do we find the sequence 00 F8 00 D2 at the beginning of the grabbed ROM?
As I said somewhere above, I have never got around to verifying the rumoured modifications to the AF ROMs, so I couldn't say.

Quote:
Unfortunately, as already said I cannot use a rom grabber to save the logica rom because there is now ay to lauch the grabber in the diagnostic environment.
Well it looks like you're stumped for the moment. The only way I can see you achieving your goal is with a custom ROM grabbing tool suitable for backing up the logica dialoga diagnostic ROM.
Old 31 March 2012, 08:58   #13
thomas

At least the A4000 3.1 ROM is not modified. WinUAE identifies it as normal A4000 ROM and it works perfectly with Blizkick in a real A4000.

The rom.key file ist just EOR'ed into the encrypted file as often as it fits. Should be easy to write your own decryption program. Or find the relevant section in UAE's source code.
Old 31 March 2012, 09:51   #14
robinsonb5

Quote:
Firstly the size is normally 524288 bytes for a 512K ROM, but there are 524299 bytes in amiga forever version, and after opening the file in a text editor, we can see that it starts with the string "AMIROMTYPE1".
If only a bit was toggled the size would have remained unchanged.
Yes, that's just a header.

Quote:
Secondly, bytes n°4 to number 7 are the reset vector which is 00 F8 00 D2, and this sequence does not appear in the beginning.
After you've exclusive-ored it with the keyfile to decrypt it, the reset vector should be present and correct - unless they did something more drastic for newer versions; I've only tried it with AF6's ROMs.
Old 02 April 2012, 23:24   #15
whitebird

I followed the methods given in the posts and wrote a small C++ decryption program. Now Winuae can run the ROM directly, without the need of the key.

The reset vector clearly appears and is 00 F8 04 8C for the dialoga ROM.

Many thanks for the help you gave me which made me solve the problem.
Old 12 January 2014, 11:35   #16
fire_lizard

Quote:
I followed the methods given in the posts and wrote a small C++ decryption program. Now Winuae can run the ROM directly, without the need of the key.

The reset vector clearly appears and is 00 F8 04 8C for the dialoga ROM.

Many thanks for the help you gave me which made me solve the problem.
< Edit: Request for Kickstart ROM and reverse-engineering aid removed - prowler>

Last edited by prowler; 12 January 2014 at 22:50.

Old 12 January 2014, 12:08   #17
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Why don't you just buy a copy of AF?

I thought this sort of piracy was banned on EAB?
Old 12 January 2014, 22:55   #18
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
I thought this sort of piracy was banned on EAB?
Quite right. Distributing Kickstart ROM images is against the EAB rules, and it is likely that distributing a tool specifically designed to reverse-engineer the copyrighted files included in Amiga Forever is in violation of the terms and conditions of purchasing it.

Offending post above edited.
Old 13 January 2014, 08:24   #19
Hewitson

I don't see the difference between WinUAE and a stand alone kickstart decrypter. Why should one be allowed and the other is not?

Last edited by Hewitson; 13 January 2014 at 08:31.
Old 13 January 2014, 10:14   #20
thomas

As long as you still need the .key file along with the encrypted .rom, it should be legal to share the decrypting program.

Sharing the .key and .rom files surely is illegal.

And actually I don't see a reason why one would like to decrypt a ROM for WinUAE because WinUAE can handle encrypted ROMs quite well.

Using Amiga Forever ROMs with products like MiniMig which cannot use encrypted ROMs is a reason for decrypting them.

And intended piracy is another reason.