English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 13 November 2007, 00:09   #141
Amilord

@All

But IF it is released, dont you think it is a good move for every PPC boards owner ?
Old 13 November 2007, 00:32   #142
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

No.

Because anyone who treats their 'customers' (I put it in inverted commas because customers normally have products to buy) with this little respect doesn't deserve anyone's money.

All the PPC board owners should club together, buy one copy and then spread it all over the net as free downloads.
Old 13 November 2007, 02:02   #143
adonay
active amiga 1200 user

Send a message via MSN to adonay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
@adonay

for your sake, i really hope they release it on the 30th this month....
No worries i can always use both systems with 3.9 although that ppc card only has a 040 makes it somewhat boring compared to the 060 at 80mhz for native operation...

Haven`t really been using a gfx system in a long time so both upgrades are well exiting at the time beeing.
Old 13 November 2007, 02:07   #144
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@adonay

an 060@80mhz... thats a dream..... i have a 66mhz one here... and i also have an LC060@75 i want to try eventually
Old 13 November 2007, 14:39   #145
Mikey_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
No.

Because anyone who treats their 'customers' (I put it in inverted commas because customers normally have products to buy) with this little respect doesn't deserve anyone's money.

All the PPC board owners should club together, buy one copy and then spread it all over the net as free downloads.
What an irresponsible statement to make, way to go tight wad, you really know how to motivate the people behind the updates.

For your information, at least Hyperion have generally, delivered on their promises. Don't tar every company in the amiga community with the same brush.
Old 13 November 2007, 14:40   #146
adonay
active amiga 1200 user

I know i cant wait to get it working together with a mediator and fastata. I bvelive it will be blazing fast with a voodoo 3 . aga and quake 1 even impresses me at 80mhz pitty that apollo card only handles 64mb fpm Oh and the chip i use is the E41J mask
Old 13 November 2007, 14:48   #147
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_C View Post
What an irresponsible statement to make, way to go tight wad, you really know how to motivate the people behind the updates.

For your information, at least Hyperion have generally, delivered on their promises. Don't tar every company in the amiga community with the same brush.
What?! The Amiga is commercially dead since 1997!!! They should change all names related to the brand "Amiga". This PPC/Amiga One hardware/software has nothing to do with the good old Amiga we're talking about on EAB, only some hardcore freaks needs this stuff for their own sake, but not for anything useful.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 13 November 2007 at 14:59.
Old 13 November 2007, 14:53   #148
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_C View Post

It's hardly irresponsible, everyone with a PPC board is old enough to make their own decisions, I'm sure they can decide whether to listen to me or not.

Granted Hyperion have at least promised to release something.

Just a shame that it's still next to useless to anyone who didn't already have the hardware lying around.

Enjoy OS4, please do.
Old 13 November 2007, 14:53   #149
Mikey_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
What?! The Amiga is commercially dead since 1997!!! They should change all names related to the brand "Amiga". This PPC/Amiga One hardware/software has nothing to do with the good old Amiga we're talking about on EAB, only some hardcore freaks needs this stuff for their own sake, but not are anything useful.
That's your opinion and you are entitled to it, but by the same token then Classic Apple Mac's have no relation to The new Mac OS X and its a bad move and while we are at it, A PC is no longer a PC because we should have all stuck to the DOS prompt and not gone for this Windows thing.

Dead Platforms stay dead, those that are alive evolve, the amiga is bearly alive but it is moving on. If you can't accept it, that's your problem.
Old 13 November 2007, 14:58   #150
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Well, this is a oxymoron!!! Amiga OS 4 for classic, but you need a PPC card.

http://www.vesalia.de/

Of course i can live with it. I'm using Windows for my work and a 68k Amiga for my pleasure.
Old 13 November 2007, 15:05   #151
Mikey_C

But it has windows! surely you want to be running a dos prompt? What about Wordstar? Supercalc 5? great applications, windows is just too modern surely?

BTW, How can it be an oxymoron? Apple changed from 68k to PPC in order to deliver better performance for their users.
Surely the Amiga can do that too?
The only difference I can see is that unlike the Classic 68k apple macs you can get an upgrade for a classic Amiga that will allow you to run a newer PPC incarnation of one of the best Operating Systems ever.
Can't be bad can it?

@KG Promised and delivered. True OS4 has slipped back, but then if Microsoft can slip thier OS's surely Hyperion can too?
Old 13 November 2007, 15:09   #152
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Windows runs on a $100 system that you can buy in the shops today.
Old 13 November 2007, 15:17   #153
Mikey_C

Indeed, it does, but sometimes if you want to do something different or stand aside from the crowd, you have to pay that bit more.

Amiga OS is a small volume OS, it has virtually no userbase, (if you compare it to the existing Windows userbase) so, unfortunately you are gonna have to pay a premium. After all, you cannot buy a brand new mac for $100 either.

Windows is excellent at what it does, but AOS has the fun factor.

Edit: Well, for me it does.
Old 13 November 2007, 15:24   #154
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I personally don't find Operating Systems fun. Never have, never will.

For me it's like getting fun out of the OSD on the TV.
Old 13 November 2007, 15:33   #155
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I accept of course your "fun factor", but there is no serious use of a native Amiga PPC system.

It can't compete, because the masses uses XP, Linux or Mac OS X. For for the 68k downward compatibility you have to use this Just-in-Time emulator, right?
Old 13 November 2007, 15:39   #156
adonay
active amiga 1200 user

Amiga os will never be a mainstream os no mather how you look at it. This os4 is just the same as our 3.x in that fact it will only be of plessure for a special audiance such as us . Even it is a pitty it is with out hardware in that regard a shame really. I gues we just have to see what happnes . If it gets out or not. As too say we can not buy a good os 3.x classic capable real amiga system in any store for 100$ either so the argument would be only for special interested. AS for me i hope there will be some otther hardware for thoose otthers that would be interested in it . If you dont care for os4 then why bother using your energy talking negative about it .. Personally i think hyperion has done a good job with os4 classic as i have seen the beta running on classics before "2 years ago" . I am not sure i will replace it with my main amiga though as i love classic games and demos ...Just my opinion
Old 13 November 2007, 15:48   #157
Mikey_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
I accept of course your "fun factor", but there is no serious use of a native Amiga PPC system.

It can't compete, because the masses uses XP, Linux or Mac OS X. For for the 68k downward compatibility you have to use this Just-in-Time emulator, right?
Yes, you do, what's your point?

As I recall, you had to do the same when Mac changed from 68k to PPC. Heck even Windows XP has built in emulation/compatibility mode.

@KG

I'm afraid I don't think you get the whole "Amiga" thing, guess it must be cos you are too young to understand.
Old 13 November 2007, 15:53   #158
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Mikey_C

common m8, no need for personal attacks. its just an opinion let it go m8 dont get bogged down with it.

KG does a shit load of effort for the Amiga community, personal attacks are a sure sign of losing an argument.
Old 13 November 2007, 15:53   #159
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Maybe you are right I'm too young.

I'm old enough to know not to respond to that flame bait you patronising git!
Old 13 November 2007, 15:55   #160
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

if its worth owt, I am not to old to flame