English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 21 January 2019, 21:00   #1
jdryyz

WinUAE 4.1.0 & A2091

I know that some (all?) emulated expansion boards require ROM(s). Is the Commodore A2091 one of them?

I am trying to reproduce my hardware setup but when I run HDToolBox from the A2091 install disk, it says my device driver is missing.

I did not receive a message from WinUAE that ROMs were missing in this case like I have with other boards in the past (i.e. PicassoIV)

I booted from the v1.30 .dms (converted to .adf) file from here:

http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/a2091

My WinUAE configuration is a stock A2000HD, nothing extra.
Old 21 January 2019, 21:48   #2
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdryyz View Post
I know that some (all?) emulated expansion boards require ROM(s). Is the Commodore A2091 one of them?
As far as I'm aware, yes.

There are some in the expansion_boot_roms [MultiEvolution 3.4].zip that Toni keeps up-to-date / uploads.

Also, in my setup I have these, but personally I've never needed to used them:
  • A590-A2091 6.0 (16k).rom
  • A590-A2091 6.6 (16k).rom
  • A590-A2091 7.0 (16k).rom
  • A590-A2091 Guru ROM 6.14 (32k).rom
Now in The Zone! Hope it helps you
Old 21 January 2019, 23:16   #3
jdryyz

Thanks much! I will give it a try.
Old 22 January 2019, 05:31   #4
jdryyz

I believe I have correctly chosen the A2091 expansion settings but I appear to be having the problem described here:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...ighlight=A2091

The numbers 1-4 next to the dialog box where the ROM is chosen refer to the TWO ROMs that are used in real hardware. Is that correct? I noticed the paired filenames in the archives differ only slightly.

The looped screen goes from dark gray to light gray and the process repeats. I do not see with Kickstart screen with the expansion enabled.

Last edited by jdryyz; 22 January 2019 at 05:39.
Old 22 January 2019, 09:20   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

If you have 2 roms (odd and even): put rom images in same path as Path panels ROM path and click rescan roms. Now known ROMs should appear in expansion ROM select box. You get reboot loop because ROM is not properly loaded.

Only single file (merged) roms can work when added manually to expansion rom path box.

1-4 can be used to configure more than one identical expansion.
Old 22 January 2019, 14:25   #6
Tomislav

While adding hard drive you need in "HD Controller" part to select "Commodore A590/A2091" device. Also if you making new hard drive that needs to be partitioned press "Full drive/RDB mode".

Also it's good to attach here your .uae configuration.
Old 22 January 2019, 16:19   #7
jdryyz

Thanks, Toni! I see I totally misinterpreted that.

I am using the best match I found in the ROMs archive. I probably do not have odd and even ROMs but I cannot say for sure if they are merged ROMs either (would I judge by the file size?) Since my real A2091 has 6.6 ROMS, I chose the v6.6 in the archive but I also mistakenly tried pairing them up since there were two v6.6 files. Looking at that again, they're slightly different C= part numbers I believe.

I also did not put them in the same path as my main ROM directory.

I will do that and attach my .uae configuration later today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
If you have 2 roms (odd and even): put rom images in same path as Path panels ROM path and click rescan roms. Now known ROMs should appear in expansion ROM select box. You get reboot loop because ROM is not properly loaded.

Only single file (merged) roms can work when added manually to expansion rom path box.

1-4 can be used to configure more than one identical expansion.
Old 23 January 2019, 02:02   #8
jdryyz

Success! Helps to have the ROMs in the same path and re-scanned. I *did* have to put the matched pairs in there too. Once that was completed, I was able to select them as a set from the drop-down menu in the SCSI expansions.

The install disk boots up and the board is recognized in HDToolBox.

Now I need to get my real SCSI drive attached and partitioned.
Old 23 January 2019, 03:58   #9
jdryyz

This is for using the HardFile option, correct? Thanks. I will probably want to switch to that after I extract files from my real SCSI drive (glad I saved my old Adaptec SCSI card).

On a related note, I have a 2GB Quantum drive attached that I want to repartition. It has been so long since I have used Workbench 1.3, I am unaware of the limitations when it comes to drive and partition sizes. I am sure they are even more limited than OS 3.x was before 3.1.4. I know I will be safe with a 500MB boot part for Workbench. Looks like there is a problem if I want to make a partition with the remaining 1.5GB space. I received a negative number after I read the drive parameters.

I do recall that Kickstart 1.3 introduced the ability to boot from a hard drive but I'm fuzzy when it comes to FFS and the drive limitations I mentioned earlier. I do not think the FastFileSystem is part of the KS 1.3 ROM but I know that is only partly responsible for what I can do with the drive. "scsi.device" is native to the A2091 but I do not what its limits are.

Sorry, I'm getting off-topic now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomislav View Post
While adding hard drive you need in "HD Controller" part to select "Commodore A590/A2091" device. Also if you making new hard drive that needs to be partitioned press "Full drive/RDB mode".

Also it's good to attach here your .uae configuration.

Last edited by jdryyz; 23 January 2019 at 07:10.
Old 23 January 2019, 06:44   #10
jdryyz

I got my answer to one question-- I'll need v7 ROMs to use drives larger than 1GB. Not sure if a 1.5GB partiton will work though. If not, I can always divide it up more.
Old 23 January 2019, 07:53   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It is not required to use matching emulated controller to read/write real HD.

You can usually use UAE HD controller to access drive normally, as long used Amiga HD controller was sane and fully RDB partition table compatible (A590/A2091 is good). Device name is uaehf.device (not scsi.device) and hdtoolbox won't detect it automatically (like any other 3rd party HD controller), run it from shell with uaehf.device parameter.

You can safely use later HDToolbox version to partition the drive and still use it with KS 1.3, only extra requirement for KS 1.3 compatibility is RDB installed FastFileSystem version that works under KS 1.3 (some are KS 2.0+). Later KS ROM versions automatically use ROM version if it is newer than RDB installed version. Or simply use pfs3aio
Old 23 January 2019, 14:42   #12
Tomislav

I found that you can put in Tool Types of HDToolBox (Workbench/Info menu) next:

SCSI_DEVICE_NAME=uaehf.device
Old 23 January 2019, 18:40   #13
jdryyz

Yeah, I was reading up on the replacement FileSystem you've worked on also.

Understood on reading the drive. I knew I could just use the uae method (as I have in the past) but I wanted to step through a WinUAE configuration that duplicates the real hardware so I will know what to expect. Thank you for reminding me on how the FileSystem is chosen. RDB was the missing piece I forgot about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
It is not required to use matching emulated controller to read/write real HD.

You can usually use UAE HD controller to access drive normally, as long used Amiga HD controller was sane and fully RDB partition table compatible (A590/A2091 is good). Device name is uaehf.device (not scsi.device) and hdtoolbox won't detect it automatically (like any other 3rd party HD controller), run it from shell with uaehf.device parameter.

You can safely use later HDToolbox version to partition the drive and still use it with KS 1.3, only extra requirement for KS 1.3 compatibility is RDB installed FastFileSystem version that works under KS 1.3 (some are KS 2.0+). Later KS ROM versions automatically use ROM version if it is newer than RDB installed version. Or simply use pfs3aio
Old 23 January 2019, 18:42   #14
jdryyz

I remember doing this in the past also when I wanted to use different drive partitioning software with a GVP card I had. FaaastPrep was not always reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomislav View Post
I found that you can put in Tool Types of HDToolBox (Workbench/Info menu) next:

SCSI_DEVICE_NAME=uaehf.device