English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 01 May 2012, 18:58   #1
DashProject

Angry I accidentally broke WinUAE (Kickstart ROM problem)

It all started a couple months ago when I was (stupidly) trying to fix something that wasn't broken...I was trying to configure WinUAE to run Workbench 3.xx instead of just regular Workbench, in the process swapping Kickstart ROMs from whatever was already working with all my games (with WinUAE configured to function as an Amiga 500) to ome of the later ROMs in order to try and make the emulator function like an A600 or A1200 instead.

When I first did this months ago, the games (namely Lemmings and Turrican) would start to work but then freeze up after the developer logos. However more recently whenever I open WinUAE I get the following message:

One of the following system ROMs is required:
-KS ROM v1.4 (A3000) rev 36.16 (512k) [390629-02/390630-02]
Check the System ROM path in the Paths panel and click Rescan ROMs.

I just looked and it doesn't look like I have that particular ROM...but why would it bug me with this sort of thing now of all times, when it didn't before? I now know installing Workbench 3.xx is a heck of a lot more complicated than I thought it would be, so that's on temporary backburner for now. For now I just wanna be able to play my games again, so how do I fix WinUAE so it can function like how it once did again? Thanks beforehand.
Old 01 May 2012, 19:04   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quickstart mode enabled with A3000 configuration selected?
Old 01 May 2012, 19:07   #3
DH
Global Moderator

OR

Open the properties panel and go to 'Hardware/ROM' and under the ;Main ROM file:' see if it's set to 'KS ROM v1.4 (A3000) rev 36.16 (512k) [390629-02/390630-02]' if it is then browse for one of the roms (preferably the 1.3) that you do have, that should sort it iirc.
Old 02 May 2012, 01:44   #4
Kitty

Easiest way to fix this is to drop that file into your 'Roms' folder or if it's already there just point your path back to that folder.

Like DemonHellraiser said though, best to use Kick 1.3

Last edited by Kitty; 02 May 2012 at 02:00.
Old 02 May 2012, 09:00   #5
thomas

The easiest way to fix this is to uncheck the "start in quickstart mode" box.
Old 03 May 2012, 02:03   #6
DashProject

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonHellraiser View Post
OR

Open the properties panel and go to 'Hardware/ROM' and under the ;Main ROM file:' see if it's set to 'KS ROM v1.4 (A3000) rev 36.16 (512k) [390629-02/390630-02]' if it is then browse for one of the roms (preferably the 1.3) that you do have, that should sort it iirc.
I just set the 'main ROM' to "KS ROM v1.3 (A500,A1000,A2000) rev 34.5 (256k) [315093-02]" and things are pretty quirky. For one thing I loaded the ADF file for the original Turrican, and when I started running the emulation it started automatically skipping through the intros and such (EG, the "Rainbow Arts" logo sequence got cut off, and the sound clip that goes "welcome to Turrican, hahahahaha!" got cut off too, taking me straight to the title screen. I stopped the emulation before I even tried playing the game, because I know that's not how things are supposed to be

Is it possible that I have the wrong Kickstart ROM for the kind of Amiga I'm trying to emulate? It's been forever since I used WinUAE (mainly because of this very problem,) so I seem to remember there was a config screen for configuring the model of Amiga you want to emulate, and that by default WinUAE is set up to emulate the A500. But I could be mistaking that screen for the 'Main ROM' screen instead. Like I said it's been awhile, and I'm not finding that "model select" screen anywhere, so it probably is just me remembering wrong.

Long story short, it's still not working correctly, what did I do wrong?
Old 03 May 2012, 20:30   #7
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Click on 'Quickstart' or have 'Start in Quickstart' mode enabled to view the model select screen.

Last edited by Arnie; 14 February 2013 at 22:45.
Old 04 May 2012, 00:03   #8
DashProject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
Click on 'Quickstart' or have 'Start in Quickstart' mode enabled to view the model select screen.
Wow, that fixed it so far! Thanks...I'll come back if anything else goes wrong though, but until then, thanks!

Also, is there any way to permanently set the controls under 'Game ports' to be a certain thing by default? I happen to prefer playing games like Turrican with layout 'B' (arrow keys to move, and right CTRL and ALT for firing and other stuff like that,) yet it always defaults back to layout 'A' (numeric keypad to move, 0 and 5 to fire) every time I exit and restart WinUAE...I honestly see NO appeal in layout 'A' because it's extremely awkward to use, so I prefer layout 'B' instead. Now ideally, I'd set it so the arrow keys are for moving, and the left CTRL and ALT keys are for firing and other stuff like that. That's how other emulators like MAME do it, so I dunno why WinUAE is different. But I understand that if there's no way of making it so it works like that, then layout 'B' is good enough for me.

Last edited by DashProject; 04 May 2012 at 00:35.
Old 04 May 2012, 01:43   #9
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashProject View Post
Now ideally, I'd set it so the arrow keys are for moving, and the left CTRL and ALT keys are for firing and other stuff like that. That's how other emulators like MAME do it, so I dunno why WinUAE is different. But I understand that if there's no way of making it so it works like that, then layout 'B' is good enough for me.
One (good) reason for the difference is that left ctrl is used to emulate the control key on the Amiga (which is something MAME does not have to do as arcade cabinets generally don't have keyboards), and the Amiga does not have a right control key anyway.

WinUAE allows you to override this and map left ctrl to joystick fire in the "input panel" if you want this behaviour.
Old 04 May 2012, 08:49   #10
DashProject

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
One (good) reason for the difference is that left ctrl is used to emulate the control key on the Amiga (which is something MAME does not have to do as arcade cabinets generally don't have keyboards), and the Amiga does not have a right control key anyway.

WinUAE allows you to override this and map left ctrl to joystick fire in the "input panel" if you want this behaviour.
Nah man it's fine, now that you pointed out the importance of having the CTRL key be that way. Now I'm pretty happy with how it is. Almost all my experience with Amiga comes from WinUAE, and the last time I used a real Amiga in person was in 1993 when I was only a toddler, so I've pretty much forgotten what an Amiga keyboard is like. But anyways, is there any way to make WinUAE default to layout 'B' instead of layout 'A' at all? Or did you already mention that and I just didn't catch it yet?
Old 04 May 2012, 09:13   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Save your personal configuration as default.uae. default.uae is always loaded when winuae is started.
Old 04 May 2012, 23:58   #12
DashProject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Save your personal configuration as default.uae. default.uae is always loaded when winuae is started.
Thanks, yeah it looks like that did it :3