English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 05 July 2018, 17:52   #1
MikeyG

Competition Pro series III Honey Bee Sega controller compatible?

I recently purchased a Competition Pro series III Honey Bee controller that was advertised for Sega Megadrive.
My understanding is that sega megadrive controllers should work on an Amiga fine.
Can someone confirm that this is the case?

At the moment when I plug in the controller it is constantly going left but the button works and Up is Up&left and Down is Down&Left.
Just want to check before starting to rip it apart and trying to fix it.
Old 05 July 2018, 18:16   #2
robinsonb5

Yes, it should work - or at least the directions and buttons B & C should work without modification. If you swap pins 5 and 7 then the right software can read all buttons.
Old 05 July 2018, 18:53   #3
MikeyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsonb5 View Post
Yes, it should work - or at least the directions and buttons B & C should work without modification. If you swap pins 5 and 7 then the right software can read all buttons.
Thats good. I'll have a look at it then
Old 05 July 2018, 19:29   #4
Daedalus

It sort of works by accident. The way Megadrive controllers are wired means that they draw their power from a signal output pin from Paula, which isn't a very good way to do things. First, because it's a data pin and isn't designed to power anything, second, because sometimes software doesn't set it correctly, resulting in the controller not getting power (and this can cause other problems as it's a bad thing to drive logic chip inputs when the chip isn't powered), and third, some controllers might require more power than the data pin can provide, resulting in malfunction of the controller (which I suspect is the case here).

As robinson5 says, swapping pins 5 and 7 (or better still, making a short adaptor cable that does this so you can keep the MD pad original and use other MD pads if you wish) will power the controller correctly and let the Amiga read all buttons. I don't really know of anything that uses all the buttons, but at least it's correctly wired...
Old 05 July 2018, 20:52   #5
MikeyG

Thanks Daedalus. I like the idea of a short adapter cable, fairly simple to wire up, and swap 5 & 7.
I tested it with Turrican 2 and then decided to make a blitz basic program that outputs joystick position thats how i know about the directions it does register.