English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 14 December 2012, 21:18   #1
JudasEZT

Which amiga games would have been good coin-op arcades?

Im thinking on two evidents:

Battle Squadron ( adding stage designs )
Swiv ( speeding the flow of the action, suiting to coin-op rentability )

but also in

Live and Let Die.
It would have made a great racing arcade ala BigRun. Fast and with many action.
Old 14 December 2012, 22:12   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

Qwak http://hol.abime.net/2272
Super Methane Bros http://hol.abime.net/2195
Old 14 December 2012, 23:16   #3
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Sky Chase
Old 14 December 2012, 23:24   #4
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Hybris - Could have been Terra Cresta II in the Arcades.
Old 15 December 2012, 00:25   #5
s2325
Zone Friend

Drip http://hol.abime.net/5380
Revenge of the Mutant Camels http://hol.abime.net/487
Dogs of War http://hol.abime.net/380
Old 15 December 2012, 00:38   #6
dex
Eat Electric Death

Thumbs up

Savage (especially the sidescrolling levels) and Xenon 2. I tried to beat those so often in the past, I feel I actually DID lose some coins on them xD
Old 15 December 2012, 00:42   #7
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Xenon 2? No way. It couldn't have compete with the fast and slick programmed shooter from Japan. Maybe Apidya.
Old 15 December 2012, 01:25   #8
dex
Eat Electric Death

Right, I would still put it up - if only for sheer difficulty because of the relatively slow gameplay which is more focussed on endurance - at least that's the feeling I often get . You should also consider Silkworm (SWIV has already been named, however).
Old 15 December 2012, 01:28   #9
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Silkworm is an Arcade game. Though the Amiga port is better than the original.
Old 15 December 2012, 02:09   #10
JudasEZT

Xenon 2, maybe would be extra bizarre for coin-op games.. what do you think?
Old 15 December 2012, 06:21   #11
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Silkworm is an Arcade game. Though the Amiga port is better than the original.
The Amiga version is quite good, but the original is far superior. Anyone who has played both versions as much as I have will agree.

Turrican 2 wouldn't have been out of place in an arcade. Apidya and Hybris would have been great. I'd have liked to see Stunt Car Racer converted into a proper arcade driving game.
Old 15 December 2012, 08:25   #12
s2325
Zone Friend

Duck Dodgers [ Show youtube player ]
Galactoid [ Show youtube player ]
Defenda [ Show youtube player ]
Old 15 December 2012, 20:11   #13
dex
Eat Electric Death

Right, Silkworm was an arcade conversion already. I saw some screenies some time ago but somehow I never bothered because I really like the Amiga version Maybe it's the sound of the explosions... and then the sound when you collect a shield while another is already active And you say the arcade original is better? But is it Golden Axe better? Usually the arcade originals are superior (Hang-On, Space Harrier and so on) but the sound of the explosions on the Amiga alone... Anyway, I need to take another look at the arcade original now

Edit: no, I meant the arcade originals, the ports of Hang-On or Space Harrier are worse (that's why I mentioned those )

Last edited by dex; 15 December 2012 at 22:43.
Old 15 December 2012, 20:36   #14
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Ruff'n'Tumble maybe. But only with a better frame rate and decent jump controls.

Quote:
Edit: no, I meant the arcade originals, the ports of Hang-On or Space Harrier are worse (that's why I mentioned those)
Really? Super Hang-on is one of the best Amiga Arcade ports. Especially with the briliant mouse controls.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 15 December 2012 at 22:53.
Old 15 December 2012, 21:31   #15
Vollldo

@dex
Savage really ???!!! The frame rate is awfull on this one uuuh !
Are you sure ???

ATR and Overdrive would have been perfect coin-ops (think about Trash Rally for the Neo-geo). Also Z-Out, the game is phenomenal in every department, the best R-Type clone ever in my opinion. The three previous have a two players mode, something very important for a coin-op game. Also they are running in 50 fps for every objects on screen, without any slowdown, two another things that i consider as required for a perfect coin-op game.

Pang would have been a perfect candidate too if it wouldn't have been already a coin-op game eh eh . The amiga version is better than the original !

I imagine perfectly a IK+ cabinet before the era of Street Figther 2. The game is so enjoyable in two players mode and well accomplished, it would have been certainly a success !

Spherical is for me the best Solomon Keys clone ever, technically superb, with a two players mode and tons of traps and levels. A perfect candidate too !

All the Alien Breed games (not the 3D ones) would have been perfect too, their only - relative - drawback is the 25 fps refresh rate for all the sprites. "Nash is dead" aaaargh, and you don't have coins anymore to resurrect him ah ah ah !!! Wonderfull.

There wasn't a lot of tennis games in the coin-ops comparatively to the action games, and Great Courts 2 would have been a good alternative !

And finally Lotus 2 in two players mode (2 cabinet for a serial game) with a better frame rate, in 50 fps like the original Out Run and Chase HQ .

Last edited by Vollldo; 15 December 2012 at 22:06.

Old 15 December 2012, 22:26   #16
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

All terrain racing, chaos engine, disposable hero.... great courts 2, italy 1990, jim power, james pond 2, krypton egg, kidchaos, lion king, aladdin, addam's family, leander, lionheart, mega typhoon, microcosm, minskies, naughty ones, new york warriors, ocean beach volley, oscar p.p. hammer, pacmania, panza kickboxing, plotting, prehistorik, project x, rick dangerous, rise of the robots, risky woods, savage, shadow fighter, shufflepuck cafe, skeleton krew, skweek, speedball 2, stunt car racer, super cars 2, super stardust, super tennis champs, switchblade 1 and 2 ,technocop, tennis cup, the strangers, turbo cup, t-zero, virocop, wings of death, z-out...

Last edited by turrican3; 15 December 2012 at 22:46.
Old 15 December 2012, 22:47   #17
dex
Eat Electric Death

@Volldo and Retro-Nerd: mh, oh no I meant it the other way round xD Obviously I wanted to say that the ports are worse, I meant the arcade originals are superior in most cases of course (just look at Space Harrier - I don't say it's not a nice try, though, but that's not the topic). Actually my post didn't make any sense otherwise. And yes, of course the frame rate of Savage is low, after all it did not appear in the arcade But it is a game I would like to have an arcade version of. Better graphics, smooth gameplay, maybe a 2 player mode... don't you think? Yeah, maybe I'm biased because of my avatar, or because it's the first game like this I ever played (this and Lemmings were the first Amiga games I ever saw and played )

Now you guys go edit your posts, too. Ah just kidding, I had to explain almost everything I said in this thread anyway... maybe there's something about today that makes other people misunderstand me quite easily - still wondering what will happen with this text Why does stuff like this happen... to... -_-

Last edited by dex; 15 December 2012 at 23:01.
Old 15 December 2012, 22:59   #18
Vollldo

@turrican3
There is some games in your list that i don't imagine one second in a coin-op !
For example James pond 2, even if i adore this one. Coin-op wasn't (and still isn't) the better place for pure platform games like Sonic, Adams Family (these two were ported)...

Speedball 2 maybe, with a better frame rate for sure, but to spend 5 minutes per player between 2 versus with the stats isn't the coin-op spirit. In Super Off Road you are buying items but it lasts 20 seconds at the maximum. In general an immediate gameplay and a constant rythm are the commom denominator of all the coin-op games (of course with exceptions).

Old 16 December 2012, 01:58   #19
Mequa

Parasol Stars really felt like a coin-op game, no?
Old 16 December 2012, 14:57   #20
dex
Eat Electric Death

@Retro-Nerd: ah you actually did edit your post, just saw this by accident, hope you didn't understand that as a request, was really just kidding! I just took another look at Super Hang-On and it's indeed a great port. Because of certain limits of the Amiga hardware, coding time and/or resources the arcade version is still looking better, though - which is not the point here of course. It also makes the effort on the Amiga even more impressive. I still miss that campaign mode you got in the Mega Drive version, though (unfortunately the only version I own, it's nice but has a low frame rate). I also often like the music of the Amiga conversions more than that of older arcade games. The music of Super Hang-On is quite good in all versions, though.