English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 15 September 2019, 15:44   #1
PussEKatt

Probably silly nubie questions

Hello Earthlings
I am from Mars,the last time I was on earth I had A.F 2016 Plus version ( in fact I still have it )I tried to get it going and got very frustrated with it and put it away in the waste particle bin.I am back on earth now and have decided to have another go and I am determined to stick with it this time, assuming I get some advice.So, here are my questions.
1 When in full screen how do you access the options eg quit game and start another game/quit emulator/load a game etc etc
2 I want to get rid of the games that dont interest me and replace them with my favourite games.What do I do with the games I dont want.Deleat them/uninstall them/move them to another folder ?
3 Where do I place my WHDLoad games.In the same folder as the other games or somewhere else?
4 What do I do on the Workbench screen ? Is it for accessing other parts of the emulator or for utilities or what?
As English is not my native language, can you please type your answers slowly so I can understand what you are saying ( unless you can speak Martian )
You can get as technical as you like and I will understand however what I am looking for is step by step instructions for the above questions eg 1 Open this 2 look in there 3 select/tick the wvghu box.
Thank you in advance
Old 15 September 2019, 16:45   #2

1. F12 to access winuae

http://www.vware.at/winuaehelp/Keyboard.html

2. Just delete the game folder. Or eject the floppy drive in the floppy drive tab adf wise and hit reboot

http://pjhutchison.org/emulation/uae_config.html

3. The whdload games can be anywhere as long as whdload is install in c: come with it own installer.

4. The workbench is the operating system of the amiga think of it as windows for pc and macos for apple mac.

Also since your using an old version of amiga forever and not stated what version of windows your using you may come across issues

Last edited by 512k; 15 September 2019 at 17:46.
Old 16 September 2019, 12:49   #3
Anubis
Retro Gamer

2016 is very old version of AF?!

Or just opt not to use AF, and switch to 'free' ClassicWB, with WHDLoad preloaded (just copy few kickstart roms to finish configuration) and load games and play.
Old 16 September 2019, 13:08   #4
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Or just opt not to use AF, and switch to 'free' ClassicWB, with WHDLoad preloaded (just copy few kickstart roms to finish configuration) and load games and play.
You mean switch to WinUAE etc...
Old 16 September 2019, 13:11   #5
Photon

It's old AF!

Welcome back to Earth.

1. Hit F10. This is still true if you have iGame or sth running as game selector (I think). Not all games obey this, if they have been updated this could have been one of the fixed things, see whdload.de status page.

2. Write the good ones down, then delete the others manually? Or move good ones into named folder e.g. Shooter, Platformer, etc.

3. Games: I think it is. Whether you want them all in one folder is up to how you select games to run. If you can navigate folders, you can put them in subfolders.

4. It's the OS, like the Desktop in Windows. Here you do everything you do when you don't play games. If you have something called Utilities or Tools on Right-click or in the top menu, you might have DirOpus there, so you can delete or move files easily.
Old 16 September 2019, 13:48   #6
PussEKatt

Thanks guys
Photon. So WHDLoad games can go in the same folder as any other games ?
Does it matter that I have 2016 ? sureley it will do what newer versions will do,I will be using AF mainly for games.
Old 16 September 2019, 13:54   #7
PussEKatt

@Anbus and DamienD:
So, classi WB needs WinUAE ? I thought AF was a frontend for WinUAE
Old 16 September 2019, 14:22   #8
Anubis
Retro Gamer

AF is more than front end - you do get front end, but you also get amiga OS (workbench), kickstarts (firmware - required to run emulation).

If you really need front end, may I suggest you look into LaunchBox as great front end solution for all emulation needs on computer.

You can find tons of tutorials on youtube on how to setup different emulators and how to properly set LB. Here is picture of my amiga setup...

Old 16 September 2019, 14:33   #9
PussEKatt

Thanks Anubis,I know about Launchbox and various other front ends.I guess I got a bit mixed up there.You see,I play games on a ZX Spectrum emulator ( Speculator ) and on Dosbox and Winvice.I was putting Af in this same catogary without thinking.
I have a seperate laptop with all these emulators installed ( my personal retro machine ) and I dont mind one bit switching of the Speccy and loading up dosbox/Af or whatever, it only takes 20/30 seconds before I am away again on a different platform
Old 16 September 2019, 19:21   #10
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PussEKatt View Post
Thanks guys
Photon. So WHDLoad games can go in the same folder as any other games ?
Well... each game is a folder. You can put 1000 such in a huge folder and scroll... scroll... scroll... or move them to subfolders that you create, like "Platformers", "Brawlers", etc etc. That's what I meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PussEKatt View Post
Does it matter that I have 2016 ?
sureley it will do what newer versions will do,I will be using AF mainly for games.
Yep, it's just if you have an issue in a specific game that you have to go there. WHDLoad itself doesn't really have to be updated I guess. It was just extra info in case the quit key didn't work.