English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 15 May 2024, 02:22   #1
ZEUSDAZ

Shit Game Time: Run the Gauntlet, another TV dud.

I personally never tuned in to the tv programme of Run The Gauntlet back in the day, I know it was quite a hit with the kids but does that mean it would be a hit on the home computers?!,...nope, not really.

After this request I finally 'after all these years' had a go at this Ocean release and it wasn't too long that I realised this was NOT enjoyable.

After the sampled speech you are greeted with a very bad digitized animation of 2 runners (the same runner doubled),...very similar what they did in Daley Thompson's Olympic Challenge, you finally get to choose your team.
After a bit of loading the first race begins and it wasn't long before I crashed, the control system is just dumb where you must move forward by keeping the joystick jammed in the up position whilst you steer left or right at the same time which causes you to easily crash into almost everything, whereas if it was the fire button that was used for going forward then it would have been far more playable.

The next race begins and it all becomes very familiar and similar,...It's just the same events with just a slightly different course with different vehicles, very boring after 10mins.

Did anyone legitly enjoy this release?

Run the Gauntlet SGT Review: [ Show youtube player ]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	run the gauntlet.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	281.9 KB
ID:	82218  
Old 15 May 2024, 04:00   #2
Pyromania

Is it worse than Dangerous Streets?
Old 15 May 2024, 11:02   #3
Megalomaniac

I think the levels are selected at random (even on the cassette versions, practical.....), so you'll need to play it a few times to experience everything. Probably not worth it though, I remember Amiga Power's withering comment that the intro speech was worth £7 of the game's £7.99 asking price, but unfortunately the game isn't' worth the other 99p, so don't buy it.
Old 15 May 2024, 11:52   #4
acidbottle

Fantastic and short lived TV show, maybe only seen 3 episodes but was all very watchable back in the 80s/90s!

The ZX Spectrum version of this was great, despite annoying multiloads.

So then why was the 16 bit ver so bad, I do not know. Played it once I think and was not impressed. Not watched your vid with audio on but noticing the same boat race over and over, this definitely should be more varied with quad bike racing among others.
Old 15 May 2024, 12:01   #5
Adropac2
Zone Friend

the Amiga version was certainly a little frustrating I recall but decent enough I thought at the time. Not something I play though these days but a reasonable enough game if you have the patience and a decent joystick

I do agree that it should have been fire to accelerate though or even an option surely

Last edited by Adropac2; 15 May 2024 at 12:07.
Old 16 May 2024, 13:14   #6
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

Old 16 May 2024, 13:17   #7
CCCP alert

Never played the Amiga version but the off road ATV buggy game is a lot of fun if you use keyboard controls, with joystick it's unplayable because some idiot designed the controls lol