English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 05 April 2014, 12:49   #1
crabfists

Dave Haynie is giving a talk on the history of the Amiga at VCF East, New Jersey

I spotted this on twitter from Dave Haynie himself:

"Just an FYI.. I'm giving a speech at VCF East 9.1 on the history of the Amiga computer, this Sunday. This is... http://fb.me/2xKpCC1l8"

https://twitter.com/DaveHaynie/statu...77735465443329

I'm not in New Jersey but thought I would give a heads up for anyone who is.

Last edited by crabfists; 05 April 2014 at 12:59. Reason: made url clickable
Old 05 April 2014, 13:07   #2
lifeschool
Local Moderator

This is great. If only there were a few guys here from the U.S - or someone who could record some video footage of it for us. I have full respect for Dave Haynie and he is a very thoughtful and forward thinking guy when it comes to technology.

Any snippets of this Live 'Test Bed Vigil' would be welcome.
Old 08 April 2014, 03:51   #3
alenppc

I attended, and it was great meeting Dave. As for his speech, he did not really say anything new or that we hadn't already known, he basically summed up the last years at Commodore, talked about the 3000 with DSP, the "1000jr", the A300 and so on, but the best part of the experience was indeed hearing it first hand. There were a few people who filmed the whole thing and hopefully it will be posted online at some point.

Here's a small snapshot:

Old 08 April 2014, 04:49   #4
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenppc View Post
I attended, and it was great meeting Dave. As for his speech, he did not really say anything new or that we hadn't already known, he basically summed up the last years at Commodore, talked about the 3000 with DSP, the "1000jr", the A300 and so on, but the best part of the experience was indeed hearing it first hand. There were a few people who filmed the whole thing and hopefully it will be posted online at some point.
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 08 April 2014, 15:44   #5
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Thanks for the link, seen by over 1000 people already I expect this is going to be super nerdy. A300... Dont get me started.
Old 12 April 2014, 00:05   #6
Higgy

Yes thanks for link.
I thought it was very good, but also made me sad. Sounds like Commodore has so many good projects but management screwed it up.

I am sure there is the same with most companies, I bet there is a whole host of cool PlayStation's etc that never made it to market.

The difference between engineers and accountants!
Old 12 April 2014, 18:32   #7
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Even though it was the same story it was still interesting to hear it from Dave. Looks like the presentation may have been longer; like Commodore The Movie in a smaller space. At any rate, I'm so glad someone filmed it and we got to see it.

@ Higgy. Surprisingly, I cant think of many other companies outside of Commodore that had technology on the shelf or cancelled except for Atari. They had micro-revisions of their line-up when the only real ones to survive on the market were 2600 and 800 machines. The atari console market crashed and they didnt recover until the plans for the A1000 (minus the blitter chip) fell into their hands and they made the ST Amiga clone (as Dave says in the video). The playstation was redeveloped from the original 1988 SNES CD-rom add-on idea to a full platform, thanks to one of Nintendos guys (Kutaragi) who took his SNES sound chip and designed a new chipset for them based on an upgraded 3DO model (3DO was ironically designed by Amiga guys Dave Needle, RJ Michel, Dave Morse etc). There are no Sony revision prototypes 'on the shelf'.

Last edited by lifeschool; 12 April 2014 at 18:37.
Old 21 April 2014, 22:44   #8
SuperPlay

Thanks for sharing this, looking forward to watching it :-)