English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.SPS (was CAPS)

Old 09 June 2012, 16:51   #1
BarryB
Amigaholic

Have these Amiga games been dumped?

Looking through my collection (All bought in the UK so are English) and cross referencing with the SPS games list the following games don't seem to be dumped:

Armour Geddon - 1991 Psygnosis
Cool Croc Twins, The (Amiga Challenge Compilation)
Crystals of Arborea - 1991 Silmarils
Dungeon Master - 1986 FTL Games/Software Heaven
Gold of the Realm - 1988 Magnetic Images
Indianapolis 500 (Amiga Challenge Compilation)
Killing Game Show, The - 1990 Psygnosis
The Munsters - 1989 Tiger Developments/Again Again
OBITUS - 1990 Psygnosis
Paradroid 90 (Amiga Challenge Compilation)
TIME

If any of the above need dumping, how would I do it without a Kryoflux? I do remember dumping my copy of Menace for CAPS (0823) so would the same method work?
Old 09 June 2012, 20:02   #2
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Looking through my collection (All bought in the UK so are English) and cross referencing with the SPS games list the following games don't seem to be dumped:

Cool Croc Twins, The (Amiga Challenge Compilation)
Crystals of Arborea - 1991 Silmarils
Dungeon Master - 1986 FTL Games/Software Heaven
Gold of the Realm - 1988 Magnetic Images
Indianapolis 500 (Amiga Challenge Compilation)
The Munsters - 1989 Tiger Developments/Again Again
OBITUS - 1990 Psygnosis
Paradroid 90 (Amiga Challenge Compilation)
TIME

If any of the above need dumping, how would I do it without a Kryoflux? I do remember dumping my copy of Menace for CAPS (0823) so would the same method work?
All the Psygnosis ones have been dumped, but its a stupid MFM format that was mastered with no error checking, which means a substantial amount of work for only a handful of titles. If memory serves me, all the ones you list are of the same protection format.
Old 09 June 2012, 20:15   #3
BarryB
Amigaholic

Looks like the SPS site hasn't been updated to include them then? I also can't see any of these in the various SPS releases that get loose in the wild which made me check.

Well, if any of them do need dumping I can probably mail them to a UK SPS member.
Old 12 June 2012, 22:10   #4
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Just dump them with the old Amiga tool, no need to re-image Dungeon Master and the Psygnosis titles. There are good dumps, but the recording formats are very special and would need a huge amount of time to be added to the tools, time which is spent on other things at the moment. There exists a version of Dungeon Master released by Psygnosis, so the only titles that you currently can't run from IPFs are these few Psygnosis titles.

As for the others... please go ahead and submit a ticket here (http://www.softpres.org/contact) so you can submit them to our FTP.
Old 13 June 2012, 20:49   #5
BarryB
Amigaholic

Ticket submitted.

Ran the dumping tool and pasted the CTOUT.TXT into the form too, also mentioned that my DF0: has had the upper head off and while 're-aligned' so it doesn't produce errors reading/writing/formatting DOS disks, it's probably pants for dumping!!
Old 13 June 2012, 22:21   #6
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
All the Psygnosis ones have been dumped, but its a stupid MFM format that was mastered with no error checking, which means a substantial amount of work for only a handful of titles. If memory serves me, all the ones you list are of the same protection format.

Killing game show has not been dumped
Old 13 June 2012, 22:37   #7
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
I think, as mr.vince said, SPS have dumps of them but they can't be made into useable IPF's due to the reasons given.
Old 13 June 2012, 22:39   #8
kipper2k

Quote:
I think, as mr.vince said, SPS have dumps of them but they can't be made into useable IPF's due to the reasons given.
Yah, so its either keep the original safe or use a hacked one, my original is in the box on the shelf
Old 13 June 2012, 22:50   #9
BarryB
Amigaholic

I have a working backup of my killing games show disks and my originals are in the box too!! I've been hanging my nose over a Kryoflux for the sole reason of making 100% backups of the disks I own, but obvioulsy I've a few games that are causing SPS problems
Old 13 June 2012, 23:55   #10
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
It has. All the few Psygnosis games (3 or 4) not listed in the DB exist as good dumps; we'd just create (=define) a new encoding scheme in the Analyser. It's not that this can't be done, it's just much (couple of days) work that is currently spent on other things, e.g. completely revamping disk support in VICE to make C64 emulation as good as Amiga emulation in regard to accessing disks. With success... See http://kryoflux.com/index.html#download

So it's not we couldn't, it's just we don't have the time. And as this is a pretty boring and tedious task...

It means we have good & valid data. It's just not been IPFed.
Old 14 June 2012, 13:52   #11
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
I have a working backup of my killing games show disks and my originals are in the box too!! I've been hanging my nose over a Kryoflux for the sole reason of making 100% backups of the disks I own, but obvioulsy I've a few games that are causing SPS problems
Just for your information (and pleasure), i have created extendedADF images of :

-Killing Game show (in its gory original protection format)
-Obitus (Same protection )
-Armour Geddon (Idem)

Cool Croc Twins, The (Amiga Challenge Compilation) => PM me
Crystals of Arborea - 1991 Silmarils => PM me
The Munsters - 1989 Tiger Developments/Again Again => copylock inside
OBITUS - 1990 Psygnosis
Paradroid 90 (Amiga Challenge Compilation) => PM me
TIME => from empire in english ? No IPF
Old 15 June 2012, 09:29   #12
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Dennis, you're our hero (really! ), but what does that have to do with the original question?

Writing such extended ADFs would for sure lead to trial and error (not sure if there's anything that would write them anyway), e.g. no write splice point defined.
Old 15 June 2012, 12:00   #13
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

BarryB will at least have the games in original format it will make the waiting more sufferable

BTW, thanks for the congrats XD ! i have tried each extended ADF with the whdload installer, and all of them install faithfully with no errors so i guess i did it right

since he has the games in original boxes, no need to write back to disk

all this thanks to Toni because he has modified rawread tool to support huge tracks.
Old 16 June 2012, 16:01   #14
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
so i guess i did it right
Yes, maybe you were lucky.
Old 16 June 2012, 17:08   #15
BarryB
Amigaholic

dlfrsilver, thanks for uploading those ADF's, working a treat in WinUAE
Old 16 June 2012, 17:30   #16
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.vince View Post
Yes, maybe you were lucky.
Not lucky, i have tested the extADF i made after each try, and tried to install them with whdload.

If it fails, it means that there is an error on disk. I only know that the installer of Obitus is known to have problems even on real amiga (hence the note in the installer).

Otherwise, they are ok.

@barryB : My pleasure
Old 16 June 2012, 20:36   #17
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

What I meant was that just because a WHDLoad import works this does note or mean something is proven to be good although it's likely. Extended ADFs are pure data, unverified and mostly impossible to write back to a real disk without making assumptions (gap area etc.)

The only way to verify these games is to read all data through the games' internal loader; there is no duplicator checksum. Probably the reason why Psygnosis did not continue using it. It's unable to verify during replication.

We could discuss this over and over again, and I could come to every ext-ADF related thread and point it out, but I don't have to.
Old 16 June 2012, 20:48   #18
Keir

You could be confident of a good dump if you have multiple independent dumps of each disk and the apparent data contents match. It's a bit more involved than just comparing ext-ADF files (or any other dump file format) of course, as they will naturally differ across dumps even if the data matches. So it needs multiple dumps *and* someone who knows what they're doing.
Old 16 June 2012, 22:40   #19
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Indeed. Hence our decision to develop something that separates data and representation, therefore making it possible to verify data from a single dump and being able to automatically compare data (one IPFed).
Old 17 June 2012, 00:48   #20
MethodGit

@dlfrsilver: I'd be interested in your copies of The Munsters (if it's the standalone version as opposed to the Kids Pack version in SPS) and Paradroid '90 (Challenge release) (no working ADF of this exists and the crack code for the retail version can't be used with it) if possible.