English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 09 March 2012, 22:46   #61
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I never had a tape. I hate tape games and always had a Floppy Drive with hardware Speeder, a lot of games had software speeder too. So, get you facts straight, before you post something that you only assume.
Old 09 March 2012, 22:46   #62
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
i heard of fast loader indeed. But i want something straight. And not expensive like these.

Even compressed, A game like Robocop loads in 3 minutes and 6 minutes on a 128kb machine. Try to do the same on a c64 goodluck XD !

not counting that the CPC can support tapes using up to 4000 bauds in speed ! (Ok here is a hint : I discovered this when dumping in CDT the german game 'BadCat' from Rainbow Arts/softgold/Go! Cesar, the BB4CPC coder examined the CDT rendered because i was unable to load the game. He discovered they had mastered the game using 4000 bauds speed ahaha !
The game was loading extremely fast (never seen a game loading that fast from a tape whatever the platform used).
Old 09 March 2012, 22:49   #63
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I need no luck, since i use disks NO TAPES!!!
Old 09 March 2012, 22:49   #64
Portugeeza1

dlfrsilver, you also forgot to say about Xyphoes Fantasy now that was one hell of a game
talking about good coders and gfx then logon system had to be one of the best

s2325 your rite how can I forget about Savage
Old 09 March 2012, 22:54   #65
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Oh and i forgot something, R-type 2012 on CPC runs at 25 FPS (twice the speed of the original), and you must play it on a real CPC, no emulators are accurate enough for the display.
Old 09 March 2012, 22:58   #66
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

12 Frames in the original CPC port? Well, 25 FPS is indeed an improvement. But as Akira already said. Far away from a perfect port. Why didn't they tried to do a proper CPC plus version, in 50 FPS and with smooth scrolling?

Quote:
...and you must play it on a real CPC, no emulators are accurate enough for the display
And why is that so? All good C64 emulators have no problem to display the games properly. A lame excuse, me thinks.

Quote:
Savage for Amstrad CPC: [ Show youtube player ]
Another boring action game with jerky scrolling (my eyes hurt after a few seconds), which was often mentioned to demonstrate the superior of CPC games. *Yawn*

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 09 March 2012 at 23:44.
Old 09 March 2012, 23:58   #67
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
12 Frames in the original CPC port? Well, 25 FPS is indeed an improvement. But as Akira already said. Far away from a perfect port. Why didn't they tried to do a proper CPC plus version, in 50 FPS and with smooth scrolling?
Because there is not a lot of CPC+ outthere, but yes, would have been good indeed !

Quote:
And why is that so? All good C64 emulators have no problem to display the games properly. A lame excuse, me thinks.
It's not unfortunately, it really runs better on the real hardware :S

Quote:
Another boring action game with jerky scrolling (my eyes hurt after a few seconds), which was often mentioned to demonstrate the superior of CPC games. *Yawn*
No, it's good enough If you can bear the amiga version, you can support this one
Old 10 March 2012, 00:13   #68
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Savage C64 is silky smooth with big sprites, nice animations and a good soundtrack. Gameplay-wise aren't big differences to the CPC version. Well, less colorful. But not that colorless you mostly see in wrongly configured C64 emulators for the youtube clips. The C64 colors aren't that pale. They simply use a wrong color palette.

Well, still a lame action game. Nothing that i would mention if you ask me for good 8bit Arcade games. Just like Trantor.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 10 March 2012 at 00:39.
Old 10 March 2012, 00:47   #69
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Trantor is better on CPC, the scrolling is very fast and never stop, quite normal, because it's a dave perry game This guy was really a master of the CPC.

The rendering of colors is the same under Vice and my real C64, same colors.

I love sly spy, which is great for parallaxes on c64, but the playability is bad, it really reacts badly ; The CPC release has no parallax but is excellent, very colorfull with a good playability.
Old 10 March 2012, 00:54   #70
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
The rendering of colors is the same under Vice and my real C64, same colors.
Not on my TV, that's for sure. The C64-II has paler colors than the original C64, but not that pale as the standard color settings in Vice. Vice has an external "default" color palette, which looks pretty good. But the people mostly didn't use it.

WinVice - No external palette

WinVice - external "Default" palette. The proper one.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 10 March 2012 at 01:15.
Old 10 March 2012, 01:20   #71
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

i have the old C64 version the oldish one hehehe btw, do you have any side where i could get the turbo tape TAP file to speed up the tapes ? and if you have any website to do some capacitors change on a c64, i'm interested
Old 10 March 2012, 01:25   #72
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Well, Lemon 64 for international users. I'm sure they will help you with capacitor replacements. For TurboTape. I never use tapes, but you find anything you need on CSDb, even TurboTape Kernals.

http://www.lemon64.com/forum/

http://noname.c64.org/csdb/search/?s...&Go.x=0&Go.y=0
Old 10 March 2012, 11:07   #73
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
AMC 2, gryzor, chase HQ, Turrican 1 + 2, Rick dangerous 1 + 2, dragon ninja, total recall, shinobi, double dragon 1 + 2, Robocop, target renegade, batman the movie, afterburner, all those were really better than their C64 counterparts.
The c64 has the speed, but no colors to do arcade games, that's why all the games i cited above are better on CPC.
Colors ??? Those games are better on CPC than C64 because of COLOURS ???? My god, thats the biggest rubbish I ever heard.

What is the most important thing with games is playabilty. I have both CPC and C64 (and ZX) - and while CPC has more vivid colours I must say I prefere the C64 colours more since they don't make the games look like over-bright coloured mess.

Of the games you mentioned only Chase HQ and Target Renegade are actually more playable on CPC than C64. Everything else is either better on C64 or equal. And even those two I prefere to play on the Spectrum for some reason
Gryzor might be colourfull in a good way but it is a flick-screen game, which it was NOT supposed to be, it looses so much because of that. I would play the C64 version over CPC anyday.

The only games I prefere on CPC over any other 8bits are the Isometric adventures like Head Over Heels, BatMan. Also Crafton & Xunk is great on it. Overall though it was the least appealing of the 8bits in my opinion. C64, ZX, even Atari 8bit all fare better in my opinion.

As someone here mentioned - it is all fanboy talk.
Old 10 March 2012, 13:15   #74
Amiga1992

I love it. Drfsilver calls everyone fanboys, when he is the biggest fanboy of them all.
Keep on trying, dude!
Wanna talk colors? The CPC palette is an over saturated mess that doesn't even let you make a picture of a human being with proper colors. The C64 palette is well balanced.
Old 10 March 2012, 14:51   #75
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

I just try to be honest. I have own a CPC for a longlongtime (got it on the 7th january 1986 so since 26 years). i had the pleasure to get in my hands more than a thousand games on this computer, this has allowed to me to appreciate the games with colors and great soundtracks, good playability, but also seeing that many english coders prefered to deliver ZX spectrum emulation, or really crap playability in some cases, or no sound in others, and even worse broken games FROM FACTORY, i mean that games like twinworld, final fight, un squadron, alien storm disk release, trivial pursuit baby boomer, beach volley, new york warriors disk release, i discovered that many on CPC had mastering errors, making them unable to run when those were sold commercially.

On the C64, i discovered that while some game had great tunes (Robocop, Robocop III for instance) many others had just okayish ones. Graphics that looked like amateurish work or unfinished, and what a surprise, a rigid/blocky/squared playability (and no my c64 is working correctly, thanks gentlemen ).

And yes i prefer any day a beautifully colored game well coded on CPC, than a tarnish greyish brownish game even well coded on C64. The C64 palette is very special and 16 colors only when the CPC has 27 colors and more beautiful GFX
Old 10 March 2012, 15:55   #76
khph_re

The C64 has a naturalistic colour palette, the CPC has saturated arcade colours. It's depends on what kind of games you are playing, or what kind or artwork you prefer. one is not better than the other, apart from your own preference. I liked the CPC, and it was a shame it got so much ZX shovelware.
Old 10 March 2012, 16:01   #77
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

@Cammy

You can try ami-cpc. Get it from here: http://www.genesis8bit.com/frontend/...r/amicpc21.lzh
Old 10 March 2012, 17:27   #78
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
I just try to be honest. I have own a CPC for a longlongtime (got it on the 7th january 1986 so since 26 years). i had the pleasure to get in my hands more than a thousand games on this computer, this has allowed to me to appreciate the games with colors and great soundtracks, good playability, but also seeing that many english coders prefered to deliver ZX spectrum emulation, or really crap playability in some cases, or no sound in others, and even worse broken games FROM FACTORY, i mean that games like twinworld, final fight, un squadron, alien storm disk release, trivial pursuit baby boomer, beach volley, new york warriors disk release, i discovered that many on CPC had mastering errors, making them unable to run when those were sold commercially.

On the C64, i discovered that while some game had great tunes (Robocop, Robocop III for instance) many others had just okayish ones. Graphics that looked like amateurish work or unfinished, and what a surprise, a rigid/blocky/squared playability (and no my c64 is working correctly, thanks gentlemen ).

And yes i prefer any day a beautifully colored game well coded on CPC, than a tarnish greyish brownish game even well coded on C64. The C64 palette is very special and 16 colors only when the CPC has 27 colors and more beautiful GFX
Bias, bias, bias, bias, bias. Not to be confused with honesty.
Old 10 March 2012, 17:58   #79
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Just tried to find anything about Bubble Bobble on the second page of this thread...

Old 10 March 2012, 18:23   #80
Amiga1992