English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 30 July 2001, 21:00   #1
Dengle

Roll eyes (sarcastic) .DMS Access?

Just to reiterate a problem I conveyed earlier in the mod section - does anyone know of any software or any method in which I could get into some very old Dms archives. The problem I have is that they were saved with password protection and basically I've forgotten them all after all these years. On advice from Paul (The Green Amiga Alien) I downloaded 'xDms' which he kindly offered (I thank you for this) but it obviously still required a password. Sorry to bother you all. Thanks.

Old 31 July 2001, 00:24   #2
Amiga1992

I suppose you need a DMS password cracker... have you tried looking for one on the Aminet?

http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/aminet
Old 03 August 2001, 17:36   #3
Dengle

Smile Still seeking...

Sorry for the wait. Yes I have looked on Aminet but without success. I was actually posing the question from a PC pespective as I don't have access to my Amiga at the moment. I was wondering what type of encryption the Dms system is based upon. Perhaps it's similar to other types (Lha, Lzx etc) although I admit I know very little about this field. It's beginning to look as if I may never open these files at all!

Old 03 August 2001, 17:40   #4
Amigaboy

I've never seen a DMS password cracker

I've looked for one for many years now but with no luck

I have no idea how the DMS format works either. If I did, maybe I could have tried writing a brute forcer

I would love to see a password cracker though. On every Amiga Format CD, there was the Subscribers disk which was always a DMS protected file. I would love to see what kind of stuff subscribers got

Old 03 August 2001, 17:47   #5
Dengle

Question

Many years ago I tried encypting files with a series of numbers or letters to try to determine whether each letter initiated a pattern of encryption, in the hope of being able to cross reference the hex code from my inaccessible Dms files with my experimental ones. I know this sounds very lame, but I was young at the time. But I suppose every archive would have been encrypted with a different algorithm or something wouldn't it?

Old 03 August 2001, 17:50   #6
Paul
RIP Friends

Thumbs up

Give this tool for the Amiga a try with DMS password cracker.

1. Copy xdms to C in Workbench.
2. Use CLI or shell

Hope this helps and works. Found tool with Google.

This is a newer version with DMS password cracker but it only works on the Amiga or emulated Amiga. Could not find the ms-dos one.

Ian: Removed Xdms, available at the WinUAE site

Last edited by Ian; 13 October 2001 at 00:56.
Old 03 August 2001, 18:05   #7
Dengle

Sorry about this Paul but it was me who enquired about this problem in the 'mods' section. I downloaded Xdms there and used it in MsDos in Windows on the Dms files stored on my machine. I was under the impression that this program was for the PC and when I ran the program it simply stated that a password was required. I could view the contents of my inaccessible .dms files but without a password there would be no unpacking. If this Xdms can be used within the Workbench environment using Winfellow would I be able to copy and paste it into a Adf file somehow? Or I am completely stupid?

Old 03 August 2001, 18:13   #8
Paul
RIP Friends

I will get back to you. PLEASE send a password protected dms file or direct me to a web site with one to test so I can help you more.

It is a good idea to register to be able to get into ADF-Zone.
Old 03 August 2001, 18:24   #9
Dengle

I appreciate your help. The most simple thing to do would be to get one of the problematic .dms files to you, but I suspect that I may have stored some pretty private files in there (probably CV's and letters - the Amiga was in regular use from other family members) so I wouldn't be happy doing that. I suppose I could try and work out something on the Amiga using Winfellow.

Well I must go for a while to save the telephone bills, I'll come back online around midnight (I should be sick of playing IssPro2 with Vgs by then too!). Thanks again...

Old 03 August 2001, 20:04   #10
Paul
RIP Friends

Roll eyes (sarcastic) Good news and Bad news

Good news
I have made my own encrypt dms file to test the decrypt new function in xdms for the Amiga.

Bad news
I have tried to decrypt my own dms file by typing in CLI/SHELL window

xdms c path:filename.dms

Now it should show you your password but when I get to this stage it counts up crc numbers and that’s it. Left it doing this for 15 mins but when I came back it was still counting so I quit the emulator. So it is not straightforward and looks like it takes a long time to do this.

If you do manage to decrypt password you then type

xdms u -p password path:filename.dms path:filename.adf

Now I give up, I wish there was a quicker way to do this.

Sorry I cannot be anymore helpful.

Ian: Removed screenshot.

Last edited by Ian; 13 October 2001 at 00:54.
Old 03 August 2001, 20:13   #11
Dengle

Roll eyes (sarcastic) Got back on

Paul - your help and assistance will not be forgotten, I appreciate your efforts. I'm new to this place and I'm surprised by the positive responses. Thanks again Paul and to everyone else. All I can do is keep trying. I may well join eventually...

Old 03 August 2001, 20:54   #12
Amigaboy

I tried it and got a similar response

The count stopped at #0087 for a file I tried

Either that's the offset for the password, or the program doesn't work properly

Old 03 August 2001, 21:24   #13
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Well, it does say in the readme that it is beta, so...

Still, I have some old DMS files that have needed decrypting for about 7 years (clearly, I never gave up on being able to decrypt them after forgetting my password!) I may attempt decrypting them on my A2000 by starting it up and letting it run while I am at work or something. If it's still running when I get home, then I will just wait on a later release.
Old 04 August 2001, 01:13   #14
Dengle

Roll eyes (sarcastic) My results:

Here's what I did using Winfellow:

Got into workbench, copied the following into Ram:
Xdms.exe
Crc.exe
Disk.dms

Set off Xdms on its little mission to crack the file with:
Xdms c Disk.dms

About 20 minutes later it stopped and gave me a hex reading #---- (obviously the #---- was a series of hex digits but I forget now). Then after reading the supplied .readme file I type up:
XDms -p #---- x Disk.dms

Then it comes up with 'probably the wrong password' - well why did the Crc program stop searching then? Maybe the experts here could take a closer look at the Crc.exe file as it initiates plenty of options when run through workbench which I don't understand. Or have you all gone to bed?

Old 04 August 2001, 04:33   #15
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Well, I am definitely no expert, but I will look at it when I get home and see if I can make anything out of the crc options. I still have to make it work for me, too.

I'll report my experiences after I muck with it for a bit.

Oh, and I quit sleeping. Filthy habit!
Old 04 August 2001, 10:40   #16
Paul
RIP Friends

Here is where I got the DMS password cracker from if interested

http://www.xfilesystem.freeserve.co.uk/
Old 05 August 2001, 09:28   #17
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I tested it on a file. It appeared to have decrypted it and provided a CRC value, which I used to make an adf. The disk image was invalid, however, so I guess that's a caveat of using beta software.
Old 05 August 2001, 17:49   #18
Dengle

Roll eyes (sarcastic) Mmmm

Oh well. Thanks for your time anyway. Maybe it'll be sorted out eventually.