English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 09 November 2018, 13:35   #1
Foebane

Filenames in configurations - do extensions need to be specified?

Does WinUAE need to know the extension (adf, dms, lha, zip, etc.) of any floppy disks or hard drive files mentioned in configuration files? Or does it simply look at the file header of any files it reads instead, to determine what type it is?
Old 09 November 2018, 14:24   #2
DamienD
Global Moderator

You could have tested this out yourself in seconds...

Let's take an example... you have the following "3D Galax (1989)(Gremlin)[cr Codetapper][f AGA Codetapper].adf" and it's listed in the configuration file as:

Quote:
floppy0=.\Games\3D Galax\3D Galax (1989)(Gremlin)[cr Codetapper][f AGA Codetapper].adf
It will still work if you:

a) remove the .adf extension from the file.
b) remove the .adf extension from the configuration file line.

...but I don't really understand the reason for asking this? Why would you even do that and have to modify original filenames and extensions.

Last edited by DamienD; 09 November 2018 at 14:32.
Old 09 November 2018, 14:49   #3
Foebane

I tried it out with one file, and whilst it recognised an .lha archive without the extension, it failed with a .7z.

The idea was to use a batch file to copy an Amiga file to a specific folder and filename, which could then be run with just one config file which points to that specific folder and filename, but archives and disk images have different extensions (and of course, data formats), and so it would be impractical to use this idea, if the extensions are different. The goal was to reduce the number of configs,but once again, multiple configs are best! (I've got loads of those myself now).

Just another daft idea in the mind of Foebane.

EDIT: If I come across as flippant and wasting people's time, I don't mean to do so, but it was an honest enquiry that I thought was best asked here.

@DamienD: Your advice, as ever, is always useful.

Last edited by Foebane; 09 November 2018 at 15:16.
Old 09 November 2018, 17:01   #4
AMIGASYSTEM

Amiga side extensions are an option, unlike Windows AmigaOS recognizes files from within. If you use a hexadecimal editor you will notice in many files such as images, archives, sounds, but also in the executable windows you will find acronyms start file that helps to understand what type file is.
Old 09 November 2018, 17:19   #5
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
If you use a hexadecimal editor you will notice in many files such as images, archives, sounds, but also in the executable windows you will find acronyms start file that helps to understand what type file is.
I know, I myself have written programs that create image files using standard formats for DOS/Windows. I created a test image in the format I wanted to use, and then looked at the file header to see how it processed the following data. This was such a long time ago, and I think I had access to the information I needed, but it still worked out well.
Old 09 November 2018, 18:22   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Some file types have automatic detection, some don't. Some can't be autodetected. Don't depend on it.
Old 09 November 2018, 19:38   #7
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Some file types have automatic detection, some don't. Some can't be autodetected. Don't depend on it.
I thought as much. Thanks for the clarification, Toni!