English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > EAB's competition

Old 21 November 2010, 21:59   #21
Ze Emulatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakirob View Post
I actually consider this to be a pretty poor performance for me, as my previous HS was over one million.
What level did you get up to and did you get all the secret levels up to where you got to ?
The furthest I have go so far is the first level of the temple.
Old 21 November 2010, 23:00   #22
Graham Humphrey

Old 22 November 2010, 02:25   #23
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze Emulatron View Post
What level did you get up to and did you get all the secret levels up to where you got to ?
The furthest I have go so far is the first level of the temple.
The furthest I have gotten during this competition is also the first level of the fire temple. The furthest I have gotten ever is the third (last) level of the temple. Killed by the second boss-type guy.

Previously I would not have bothered entering every bonus section, but during this competition I use most of them.

I could not possibly use them all, as, for example. In underwater world level 3 there are two secrets to choose from, taking one makes the other unavalable.

I would recommend taking the one in the lower left-of the level, and from there take the exit warp at the upper-right (there are two exit-warps in that section too), which takes you back to the point where you entered, except all the bonuses and baddies have returned.

And judging by the game maps, there are a couple of similar situations in the temple also. Where there is two warps, and taking one makes the other unavailable.

Personally I find the underwater levels particularly tedious, an ordeal that has to be endured in order to get to the rest of the game. So I didn't go to the efort of clearing out that level before taking the warp.

The thing that I find makes the biggest difference to the score is collecting extra lives, or rescuing puppies when one has a full compliment of lives (nine). These are worth an extra 10,000 points each.

Also, don't be too picky when it comes to picking up special weapons, as those are worth 250 points each. Which is as many points as one gets for killing the average baddie.
Old 22 November 2010, 03:32   #24
Ze Emulatron

Quote:
The furthest I have gotten during this competition is also the first level of the fire temple. The furthest I have gotten ever is the third (last) level of the temple. Killed by the second boss-type guy.
I had never made it passed the last underwater level before this competition started.

Quote:
I would recommend taking the one in the lower left-of the level, and from there take the exit warp at the upper-right (there are two exit-warps in that section too), which takes you back to the point where you entered, except all the bonuses and baddies have returned.
That is the way I go I didn't know about the exit at the upper left in the secret level until about my fourth time, I accidentally jumped into it and it took me to the next level.

Quote:
Personally I find the underwater levels particularly tedious, an ordeal that has to be endured in order to get to the rest of the game. So I didn't go to the effort of clearing out that level before taking the warp.
I always jump up into a stupid fish, stupid squid or fall down on a stupid crab and lose like 5-8 lives on that world

Quote:
The thing that I find makes the biggest difference to the score is collecting extra lives, or rescuing puppies when one has a full compliment of lives (nine). These are worth an extra 10,000 points each.
I thought something like that happened. One time I had completed the same percentage of levels but was 100,000 below the score I had had previously as I sucked in the castle levels, I lost like 3 lives in a row by jumping into arrows. I will have to go slower in all the levels
Old 22 November 2010, 13:04   #25
john4p
Competition Moderator

Reading TFM sometimes really helps.
Liking this game now. Challenging top-notch platformer.
Old 22 November 2010, 16:30   #26
john4p
Competition Moderator

I assume to have reached the underwater world's boss - the fish in the wall, right?
Old 22 November 2010, 18:19   #27
Castelian

Not working

Hey guys, for some reason this game crashes for me once I finish the 1st stage of the underwater levels. In Winuaex (xbox) the screen goes black (but sound and controls still work). On the pc version, it gives an error message (software failure). I'm pretty new to this site and to winuae. Do I need to use the files in the WHDload package. If so, how do I use them? What config settings should I use? Is quickstart 3.0 ok?

Thanks in advance.
Old 22 November 2010, 19:04   #28
john4p
Competition Moderator

Lost 5 lives to that fish, then died right at the beginning of the jungle.

Btw., no freeze for me (Pandora UAE4All). My version is cracked by Anthrax (Phil Douglas).
Old 23 November 2010, 16:32   #29
CU_AMiGA
Banned

wahoooo!!!! i am in the top 10! i got:

played on a real Amiga 4000 via killergorillas whd package!

Last edited by CU_AMiGA; 25 November 2010 at 02:14.
Old 23 November 2010, 18:53   #30
mailman
Zone Friend

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	007.png
Views:	160
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	27125  
Old 23 November 2010, 19:20   #31
Graham Humphrey

Good to see we're still attracting new blood...
Old 23 November 2010, 20:49   #32
CU_AMiGA
Banned

i am here to won the whole competition thingy! lol
Old 24 November 2010, 19:43   #33
Graham Humphrey

Old 24 November 2010, 20:13   #34
john4p
Competition Moderator

Old 24 November 2010, 21:48   #35
Ze Emulatron

I played with the trainer on last night for a test and in the last underwater level I believe you get a huge amount of points from the green and blue jewels if you have 9 lives.
Old 25 November 2010, 02:13   #36
CU_AMiGA
Banned

110800 :d

Last edited by CU_AMiGA; 12 August 2011 at 20:08.
Old 25 November 2010, 07:19   #37
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
I played with the trainer on last night for a test and in the last underwater level I believe you get a huge amount of points from the green and blue jewels if you have 9 lives.
I think you're right. Could have scored a lot higher if I hadn't died so often in the underwater world. Those confusing warps everywhere didn't help either.

But please abstain from playing with trainer in the future - even for testing purposes. We agreed to not practice later parts of a game using trainer and/or savestates.
(Someone with a real Amiga and an original copy of the game would be at a severe disadvantage if it was allowed.)

Last edited by john4p; 25 November 2010 at 14:04.
Old 25 November 2010, 21:31   #38
Ze Emulatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4p View Post
I think you're right. Could have scored a lot higher if I hadn't died so often in the underwater world. Those confusing warps everywhere didn't help either.

But please abstain from playing with trainer in the future - even for testing purposes. We agreed to not practice later parts of a game using trainer and/or savestates.
(Someone with a real Amiga and an original copy of the game would be at a severe disadvantage if it was allowed.)
I only played it up to the end of the last under water level to keep 9 lives. I wasn't sure if the reason I got such a high score was a glitch in the crack version I was using, Fire & Ice - The Daring Adventures of Cool Coyote (1992)(Renegade)[cr FSN][t +1 FSN](Disk 1 of 2).adf with Fire & Ice - The Daring Adventures of Cool Coyote (1992)(Renegade)[cr FSN][t M ATX](Disk 2 of 2).adf, because I didn't know where all the points came from. If I couldn't get the score with the trainer on I was going to ask to have that score removed and replaced with my next highest which was 553,700 66% to the first level of the temple.

The reason I am not using Fire & Ice - The Daring Adventures of Cool Coyote (1992)(Renegade)[cr FSN][t M ATX](Disk 1 of 2).adf with Fire & Ice - The Daring Adventures of Cool Coyote (1992)(Renegade)[cr FSN][t M ATX](Disk 2 of 2).adf is I didn't like all the options it gives you at the start and I didn't want to accidentally to enable any of the cheats to make the game easier.

But I do see how it is unfair on people using the original. Won't do it again.

Last edited by Ze Emulatron; 25 November 2010 at 21:44.
Old 26 November 2010, 09:30   #39
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
I wasn't sure if the reason I got such a high score was a glitch in the crack version I was using,[...] because I didn't know where all the points came from.
I had doubts myself when I had 400k+ in the underwater world the first time. But then figured not dying must've been the reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze Emulatron
But I do see how it is unfair on people using the original. Won't do it again.
No problem - the rules above don't clearly state that it's not allowed and practicing is not cheating.
In my first season I practiced a few games myself until we all agreed to not do it.
Old 26 November 2010, 17:37   #40
mailman
Zone Friend

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	006.png
Views:	161
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	27179