English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 17 September 2005, 12:24   #1
Graham Humphrey

Help wanted for new Amiga shoot-em-up!

Yep, I'm currently writing a horizontally scrolling shoot-em-up called Annihilation, for AGA Amigas. I really need some help on the graphics/music/sfx side of things though, as I'm fairly useless at this. I will upload a work-in-progress demo to the zone soon (though it is a very early demo).

It is AGA-only because it uses two 16-colour bitmaps in dual-playfield mode. Your ship is a 3-colour sprite which is unfortunate because I thought I could use a 15-colour sprite in Blitz, so it is a bit limiting.

As you will see the graphics are dreadful (though I didn't do them all), and the sfx are rather uninspired. Hopefully this will change though!

I know posts like this crop up occasionally, and I suppose most projects never get finished, but since I've done 2 games already I do know the amount of work that needs to go in to a game to complete it.

I did a post like this last year for a platform game I was writing called Diamond Kingdoms. I did finish this in the end, though without any help, as someone emailed me saying they were interested, but after a few weeks I couldn't get in touch with them again. So I did most of the graphics myself (except the enemies which I took from another game!) A demo version should appear on Aminet soon, with any luck. (Within a day or so.)

Please check Annihilation out, and any constructive criticism would be appreciated as well - the game's at a fairly early stage (and not entirely bug-free!) so if anyone's got any good ideas I could probably implement them.

If anyone is interested in contributing graphics etc. to this game please let me know personally, or on this thread, and I'll give you more details. Thanks!
Old 17 September 2005, 13:30   #2
BippyM
Global Moderator

It's good to see a project like this

Unfortunately like you I have less than zero gfx/sfx abilities but if you want any beta testers gimme a hout

Good job
Old 17 September 2005, 15:04   #3
Graham Humphrey

Thanks for the idea. I haven't really thought about beta-testers before but I'll think about it now.
Old 17 September 2005, 20:11   #4
gifgit
Retarded and dribbling

If you want any gfx then go to our sprites project and find all the Project x gfx .But I still can`t see why the main sprite is only 3 colours,wouldn`t it be 3 colours on a non-AGA amiga?I thought that tha AGA chipset improved hardware sprites as well as blitter objects?
Old 18 September 2005, 09:04   #5
redblade
Zone Friend

he mentioned the word 'blitz' so perhaps it's a blitz basic limitiation, that is if he is coding with Blitz.
Old 18 September 2005, 09:32   #6
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

To make 16 colour sprites you must attach 2 sprites together using the attach bit.

AFAIK AGA defaults to normal 4 colour sprites like ECS, but you do get the added benefit of being able to pick your palette from any one of the 8 blocks of 32 colours. You can also choose between 35, 70 and 140ns sprites meaning you can have higher resolutions and up to 64 bits wide instead of 16 like OCS.
Old 18 September 2005, 12:28   #7
BippyM
Global Moderator

don't use a sprite!
Old 21 September 2005, 19:35   #8
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper
To make 16 colour sprites you must attach 2 sprites together using the attach bit.

AFAIK AGA defaults to normal 4 colour sprites like ECS, but you do get the added benefit of being able to pick your palette from any one of the 8 blocks of 32 colours. You can also choose between 35, 70 and 140ns sprites meaning you can have higher resolutions and up to 64 bits wide instead of 16 like OCS.
I have played around with this quite a bit, it seems the problem is with the fetch mode. The higher fetch modes restricts how you can use sprites by the looks of it (correct me if I'm wrong). This explains why my sprite only appeared in 3 colours despite using 15 colours initially to design it. Also you are restricted to using only 1 sprite, without adjusting the width of the display. So if I used a lower fetch mode I could use a 15-colour sprite.

Of course I could be talking rubbish but that's how I see it.
Old 21 September 2005, 19:47   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Sprite fetchmode only changes the width of sprite. AGA hardware can fetch 16-bit, 32-bit or 64-bit word from chipram with one memory cycle. OCS/ECS can only do 16-bit.

Bitplane fetchmode changes everything
Old 21 September 2005, 21:38   #10
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

I remember when I used to use Blitz on the Amiga, I had a 16 colour sprite going lovely over a dual playfield AGA screen. I can't remember how I did it after around 8 years but I did do it!
Old 22 September 2005, 21:14   #11
Marcuz

if you need graphics i can help you, also giving the correct palette iff images, but then someone else should cut the work and produce the amiga side format
Old 24 September 2005, 11:34   #12
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana
if you need graphics i can help you, also giving the correct palette iff images, but then someone else should cut the work and produce the amiga side format
OK, thanks, although I don't really have a suitable palette as such. (E.g. level 1 is set in space, it will be eventually anyway.) How much would you be willing to do though? I'm going to have 7 levels in the game, and there will be quite a lot of enemies and stuff. (One of my friends said he'd be willing to do some of it though.)

If you'd like to help, do you want me to PM or e-mail you details of the game (like level themes etc.)? And do you want me to give you suitable IFF palettes as well? Although I'm useless at coming up with decent palettes!
Old 24 September 2005, 13:24   #13
Marcuz

oh i expressed myself poorly, i mean i can provide the images with a useable palette but i work in the pc side, in other words, as i'm not sure how does it works the color table on amiga and i have only experimented recently with 16 colours palettes grabbed from amiga games, i need to know only the number of colours you want me to use and then either we create a palette for suitable for your use or you have assemble interely the images i provide. if we fix a palette and i stick to it it's better.
as for the rest, yea, please e-mail me the details on what you need, and i'll try to figure what i can do realistically.
i think i can carry part of the maps and some picture however.
Old 24 September 2005, 14:14   #14
Graham Humphrey

E-mail sent
Old 01 October 2005, 14:33   #15
Graham Humphrey

Sorry to bring this up again, but: would anyone be interested in doing (or at least supplying) music/sfx for this game?
Old 05 October 2005, 02:39   #16
bilko9070
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey
Sorry to bring this up again, but: would anyone be interested in doing (or at least supplying) music/sfx for this game?
Now this is just what the docter ordered! Ive been looking for a good reason to have a play with Protracker or Octamed. Im no amiga music expert but i would not mind at least having a go at some suitable music for this game. After all, if you dont like, you dont have to use it!
I like shoot`em ups, especially on the amiga!. I would love to take part in this project and if you would like me to have a look at this game and have a go at a soundtrack, give me a PM. (or you can e-mail or get me on msn messenger J__Hill@Hotmail.com )

Last edited by bilko9070; 05 October 2005 at 03:12.
Old 05 October 2005, 13:54   #17
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Could I help with the music?
Old 05 October 2005, 20:31   #18
Graham Humphrey

Bilko9070: I've sent you a PM, please e-mail or PM me!
ElectroBlaster: Yes, thanks, you can help as well if you want, I'll e-mail at the weekend and give you some details (can you use ProTracker?). Thanks for showing interest!
Old 06 October 2005, 04:11   #19
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Thanx
Old 12 October 2005, 21:00   #20
Marcuz

[update:] positions open for help on graphics, i need a hand with the tiles and sprites, details on request.