English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 08 October 2021, 10:16   #1
Phantasm
Not a Rebel anymore

EVO - Amiga E Evolution Released

E-VO Amiga E Compiler is a derivative of the original Amiga E compiler written by Wouter van Oortmerssen. This is released as v3.4.0 to show it is a
continuation of the original Amiga E compiler (which ended at 3.3a) and also GEC (GRIO Amiga E Compiler) which ended at 3.3g.

In 2021 I decided to switch to GEC for one of my projects and made some additional bug fixes and improvements including a CONT loop continue,
ANDALSO and ORELSE operators that provide short circuit evaluation and displaying line numbers of unused variables/procedures.

Since then I have added many more improvements including new commands and optimisations attempting to combine many of the enhancements
found in the various E compilers available and some that I have thought up myself.

E is an object oriented / procedural / unpure functional higher programming language, mainly influenced by languages such
as C++, Ada, Lisp etc. It is a general-purpose programming language, and the Amiga implementation is specifically targeted
at programming system applications.

The modules have also been updated to match the OS 3.2 NDK and there is sample code provided to show how to code
reaction based GUIs.

The program is released into the public domain for anyone to use however they wish without any restrictions other than the
program is not to be sold for profit.

http://aminet.net/package/dev/e/evo

and

https://github.com/dmcoles/EVO

Last edited by Phantasm; 09 October 2021 at 22:14.
Old 12 November 2021, 10:15   #2
kamelito
Zone Friend

The advantage of the original E was the speed of compilation using gcc means that it’s not true anymore right?
Nice effort thought did you spoke with the original author about your enhancements?
Old 12 November 2021, 10:36   #3
Etze
A3000-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
The advantage of the original E was the speed of compilation using gcc means that it’s not true anymore ?
GEC, not GCC. It’s still as fast as it used to be and works like a charm.
Old 13 November 2021, 00:50   #4
idrougge

Nice, can you elaborate in further detail what sets EVO apart from Wouter’s last EC?
Old 13 November 2021, 13:10   #5
Phantasm
Not a Rebel anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Nice, can you elaborate in further detail what sets EVO apart from Wouter’s last EC?
Short answer. Lots of new language features and optimisation and modules all updated to OS3.2 including some reaction examples plus it's being actively developed. Long answer: here's a list of everything that's been changed since wouters final version https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dm...in/Updates.txt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
The advantage of the original E was the speed of compilation using gcc means that it’s not true anymore right?
Nice effort thought did you spoke with the original author about your enhancements?
Yes I did speak to him. I would have liked to continue the official develoipment of Amiga E (much the same way I agreed with Joseph Hodge to be allowed to continue the development of Ami-Express). Wouter did not want me to go down that route however and was happy for me to deliver an updated E compiler but preferred his original one remain as is and for me to fork that work into a separate release. So I came up with the name E-VO

Last edited by Phantasm; 15 November 2021 at 22:14.