English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 13 November 2008, 15:55   #1
crazyegg

Networking A1200 How To Setup Network With SMB Connect

Hi All,

Being a real estate broker in Canada now is rather gloomy but it has afforded me with more time to rekindle my affair with my Amiga!

Anyways, I have a working MiamiDX stack on my A1200 which is connected to a router. The router is connected to a cable modem and another PC. I can ping from the Amiga to PC, PC to Amiga and can use iBrowse on Amiga with success!

However, I am not having success with file sharing (i.e. I want to see my PC on my A1200). Reading another post from Thomas, I have learnt that my best solution is to either use SMB Connect or SMBFS.

I have decided to use SMB Connect.

First, when I mount SMB-Handler, i get a warning box: KS2.0+ and BsdSocket V3.0+ required but I am able to click OK to dismiss the warning. Does this mean that I am missing the file BSDSocket or is the warning just a reminder?

Second I get another warning when I start MiamiDX: Unable to connect to host. Not enough "\\". I am thinking it has to do with my C= argument in the SMB mountfile:

Startup="C=\\LGMOBILE:192.168.1.100\USERS\EDWARD\DESKTOP\AMIGA MH=A1200:192.168.1.151 W=DREAMLAND U=GUEST"

Is my PC pathname too long perhaps? I have also tried U=EDWARD and P=1234 which is required to logon to my PC LGMOBLIE without success. What am I overlooking?

Regards....ed ;-)
Old 13 November 2008, 19:20   #2
thomas

Quote:
First, when I mount SMB-Handler, i get a warning box: KS2.0+ and BsdSocket V3.0+ required but I am able to click OK to dismiss the warning. Does this mean that I am missing the file BSDSocket or is the warning just a reminder?
bsdsocket.library is created in memory when you run MiamiDx. If SMB connect does not find it, you either didn't run MiamiDx first, or something else is wrong. Perhaps not enough memory ? MiamiDx alone eats up about 2MB of memory. So if you don't have a memory expansion, you are lost at this point.

Quote:
Unable to connect to host. Not enough "\\".
Could be another indication of not enough memory: it cannot even assemble its error message. Or a memory overlay occurred. Perhaps the stack size is too small ?
Old 14 November 2008, 02:08   #3
crazyegg

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
bsdsocket.library is created in memory when you run MiamiDx. If SMB connect does not find it, you either didn't run MiamiDx first, or something else is wrong. Perhaps not enough memory ? MiamiDx alone eats up about 2MB of memory. So if you don't have a memory expansion, you are lost at this point.

Ahhh! Understood. SMB-Handler must be mounted AFTER MiamiDX is initiated. I learn something new EVERYDAY!!

Could be another indication of not enough memory: it cannot even assemble its error message. Or a memory overlay occurred. Perhaps the stack size is too small ?
I have a M1230 card with 64 Megs so I think I am OK there. That being said, what should be stack size be? Right now I think it is 4096.

BTW, is my startup line OK? It currently reads:

Startup="C=\\LGMOBILE:192.168.1.100\USERS\EDWARD\DESKTOP\AMIGA MH=A1200:192.168.1.151 W=DREAMLAND U=GUEST"

Is my PC pathname too long perhaps? I have also tried U=EDWARD and P=1234 which is required to logon to my PC LGMOBLIE without success. Am I required by SMB Handler to use U=GUEST even though the PC I am connecting to requires different username/password?

Regards,
ed...
Old 14 November 2008, 16:41   #4
crazyegg

Hi All,

Here is some more info re my situation as I am still not having any luck:

I get the following 2 error messages after I mount the SMB handler file:

"Mountlist startup: Bad template" followed by "Host cannot be contacted! Connection field contain not enough \!"

Again, I am running an 030 card with 64 megs so I don't think low memory should be an issue.

My parameters for the mount file include (when I edit it) include:
Handler=L:SMB-Handler
Stacksize=40000
Priority=10
Globvec=-1
Startup="C=\\LGMOBILE:192.168.1.100\USERS\EDWARD\DESKTOP\AMWhenIGA MH=A1200:192.168.1.151 W=DREAMLAND U=GUEST"

When I click on Icon Info, the parameters include:
Stack=4096 (I also tried stack=40000. BTW, are stack and stacksize the same thing?)
Activate=1

Any help is graciously appreciated.

Regards,
ed...
Old 15 November 2008, 12:18   #5
thomas

Quote:
C=\\LGMOBILE:192.168.1.100\USERS\EDWARD\DESKTOP\AMIGA
I think you can only use \\host\share. You cannot mount a path inside the share.
Old 17 November 2008, 18:22   #6
crazyegg

Hi All,

Thanks for all your replys. I have tried ALL the suggestions and am still stuck. Still get the above error message...

Just to recap, I am trying to run SMB Connect and I do not have SAMBA installed. I also have not modified MiamiDX in anyway (i.e. MiamiDX is setup currently for iBrowse via a router).

Just curious though, Do I need to modify MiamiDX in order to use SMB Connect?

Regards...ed
Old 17 November 2008, 20:23   #7
lopos2000
Zone Friend

Have you checked this site --> Installing Samba
or this site --> Samba for Idiots
I got it working but can't remember how I did it. I had my A4000, A1200 and PC all connected to a router and could shared files and folder. I used MiamiDX. I try to search on my backup. Maybe I can locate a backup of my settings somewhere.
Old 18 November 2008, 16:37   #8
crazyegg

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. If you could locate your config file, I would be grateful.

If not, I think I will have to give SMBFS a try instead of SMB Connect Handler. But I just hate giving up on Amiga problems ;-)

Regards...ed
Old 18 November 2008, 21:39   #9
lopos2000
Zone Friend

I just remembered that I was running OS3.9 BB2 at the time.
You are using 3.1 ( I think)
I used as program called 'SMB Handler' and created a 'Mount File' for each HD or folder I wanted to access. The mount list looked like this
Code:
Handler     = L:SMB-Handler
Stacksize   = 40000
Priority    = 5
GlobVec     = -1
Mount       = 1
Startup     = "C=\\PC_Name\Folder MH=192.168.0.151 W=MSHOME  U=GUEST
Have a look at the attachment.
good luck
Attached Files
File Type: rar mount.rar (534 Bytes, 328 views)
Old 18 November 2008, 21:58   #10
crazyegg

Hi,

Thank for you sharing your mount file! Hmmmmmm....it looks very similar to what I have in mine but I will give it a shot. I will keep you posted on the outcome. Fingers crossed!

Regards.....ed..
Old 23 November 2008, 06:06   #11
crazyegg

Hi Iopos2000

The mount file you sent works! Thanks!! However, I can only view the directory of the shared folder. I cannot actually access any shared files. This is the case with both VISTA and a Linux host.

Question: Does SMB-Handler only allow the viewing of files?

Thanks everybody and have a great weekend!

Regards.....ed
Old 24 November 2008, 18:15   #12
crazyegg

Hi All,

Thanks again for everyone's great suggestions on EAB!

Just an update.

I can SOMETIMES copy/read a file from a shared drive using SMB-Handler. But, it is very unreliable and unpredictable. FYI, I have tried Vista, XP and Linux hosts with both small and large file transfers.

This is really weird since I acan access the Internet using MiamiDX/iBrowse without any problems. So, I don't believe that it can be a 'bad' wifi connection....

Any insights to my predicament would be greatly appreciated.

Regards....ed
Old 24 November 2008, 19:02   #13
hit

Vars191 uploaded some cnetdrivers to the zone (taken from this topic: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=480346 ). they are called cnetdevice_old.lha and cnetdevice.lha.
maybe its a driver issue, rather than a problem with the smb-handler. no clue, just sharing infos
Old 25 November 2008, 01:06   #14
crazyegg

Hi,

I am using the Netgear MA-401 wireless card and using the most recent Prism2 drivers from Aminet. Perhaps I should try it with a Cat-5 card....?

Regards...ed
Old 26 November 2008, 03:08   #15
crazyegg

Hi All,

For some strange (but I'll take it anyways) reason, the shared drive is working flawlessly now. My A1200 can both read/write files and small/large files from a shared computer running XP!! Blame it on the full moon or my neighbours black cat....

I am attributing the lack of success with my Vista and Linux hots perhaps due to high security settings and what not. I just turned off all security settings (both login and file folder access) on my XP host.

Nonetheless, I am surfing and accessing shared files on my A1200. I don't really use my Amiga for regular surfing or shared file access mind you, but I can at least proclaim that "I can" should I ever want to! ;-))

For those wishing to who have the required resources and a strong desire to get their A1200 networked, I can say that (in hindsight) it is quite simple. Just follow from the beginning of this thread.

Thanks again to the great community here at EAB!!

Regards....ed