English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 06 August 2017, 22:14   #121
SunSpire

Yay, this is exciting news! I'm going to try this myself in a moment, fingers crossed!
AdSense AdSense  
Old 06 August 2017, 23:14   #122
kaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Flashed the Bootloader and firmware via USB without any issue.

LCD is scrolling the filenames so you can see which disk is which now
It's not currently much help when actually switching between images with the buttons, as no scroll at that time. I need either to scroll or display a digest of the filename which is smart enough to extract the disk number. Not too hard to do with TOSEC-type naming conventions. eg. digest to "New York Warri:1" for Disk 1 of New York Warriors.
Old 06 August 2017, 23:25   #123
SunSpire

Hmm, a few things are still unclear to me (and maybe to others?)

I have placed FF_Gotek-v0.3.0a.upd into the USB stick's root and updated via pressing and holding both Gotek buttons during power on, success!

When I try the same with FF_Gotek-Reloader-v0.3.0a.upd the Amiga gets stuck at the hand/disk screen and the Gotek's green LED blinks continously but only very dimly. Removing or inserting the stick or pressing any buttons has no effect at all.

What is FF_Gotek-Bootloader-v0.3.0a.rld and how is it used?

So reflashing the v0.3.0a.upd gets me back into the file selector, it currently states v0.3.0a as the firmware while fileselector is still v0.1a

Am I missing anything here or am I good to go?

Oh, and it seems that updating to the latest FW via Gotek buttons is only possible when AUTOBOOT.HFE is still present on the stick, I thought I'd mention this since the patched file is not easily available anymore since you updated your google drive link (and it's not in there!) Luckily I had a backup copy on my HDD.
Old 06 August 2017, 23:42   #124
ch40s_engineer

you can get the file selector here
Old 06 August 2017, 23:48   #125
kaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSpire View Post
Hmm, a few things are still unclear to me (and maybe to others?)

I have placed FF_Gotek-v0.3.0a.upd into the USB stick's root and updated via pressing and holding both Gotek buttons during power on, success!

When I try the same with FF_Gotek-Reloader-v0.3.0a.upd the Amiga gets stuck at the hand/disk screen and the Gotek's green LED blinks continously but only very dimly. Removing or inserting the stick or pressing any buttons has no effect at all.

What is FF_Gotek-Bootloader-v0.3.0a.rld and how is it used?

So reflashing the v0.3.0a.upd gets me back into the file selector, it currently states v0.3.0a as the firmware while fileselector is still v0.1a

Am I missing anything here or am I good to go?

Oh, and it seems that updating to the latest FW via Gotek buttons is only possible when AUTOBOOT.HFE is still present on the stick, I thought I'd mention this since the patched file is not easily available anymore since you updated your google drive link (and it's not in there!) Luckily I had a backup copy on my HDD.
The reloader stuff is just for reflashing the bootloader. You don't normally need to do that at all -- just update the main firmware. You would only update the bootloader to get new features and bugfixes for it (but they are going to be rare). The way it works is:
1. FF-Gotek_Reloader*.UPD is a replacement for the main firmware. Its sole purpose is to overwrite the bootloader with a *.RLD file. Once you have upadted to this UPD file your Gotek no longer operates as a floppy drive.
2. So now you update the bootloader with the *.RLD file. Now your Gotek has the latest bootloader. Yay!.
3. Now to make the Gotek be a floppy drive again, you need to run the new bootloader with the usual FF-Gotek*.UPD file. So you do that. And now your Gotek has the latest bootloader and the latest main firmware.

Anyway you are correct that if the selector software reports version as v0.3.0a then you are done. No problem.

I did forget to put the Amiga subfolder in the release archive. I will do that now. By the way the main source for releases now is the Github releases page: https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/releases

And you do *not* need AUTOBOOT.HFE on your USB stick to be able to do an update with the *.UPD file. The bootloader only looks for and opens one file, pattern FF_Gotek*.UPD.
Old 07 August 2017, 00:18   #126
emufan

kaffer: i build the Disk-Utilities on cygwin32 system and got a problem.
Code:
$ disk-analyse.exe
D:/usr/local/bin/disk-analyse.exe: error while loading shared libraries: libdisk.0.0.dll:
cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

$ file /usr/local/lib/libdisk.0.0.dll
/usr/local/lib/libdisk.0.0.dll: PE32 executable (DLL) (console) Intel 80386, for MS Windows
i could fix the makefile to build a static libdisk.a and static linked disk-analyse.exe.
this version does work.
dunno, if it's a cygwin problem only, but maybe you may have a look.
Old 07 August 2017, 00:20   #127
Mikerochip

Send a message via Skype™ to Mikerochip
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch40s_engineer View Post
you can get the file selector here
Can anyone build me a binary of this?
Old 07 August 2017, 00:24   #128
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerochip View Post
see below.

Last edited by emufan; 07 August 2017 at 00:48.
Old 07 August 2017, 00:30   #129
SunSpire

kaffer, thank you so much for your detailed explanation. I'm sure this will help others greatly to get started with flashing and operating their own devices!!

I've done some testing with the v0.3.0a FW and can confirm that saving / copying files as well as whole disks (via X-Copy) works beautifully now! YAY!! This is a huge step forward! Next I'm going to try and see if saving music, pictures, audio samples etc. without errors works too, but I guess it should.

I still haven't figured out how to run the Gotek w/o HXCSDFE.CFG though (as in cycling through .adf images in root w/o adding them in the selector first) Hmmm ...
Old 07 August 2017, 00:45   #130
kaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerochip View Post
I have added them to the FlashFloppy distribution. I forgot to include them but they are there now.
Old 07 August 2017, 00:46   #131
kaffer

Quote:
kaffer, thank you so much for your detailed explanation. I'm sure this will help others greatly to get started with flashing and operating their own devices!!

I've done some testing with the v0.3.0a FW and can confirm that saving / copying files as well as whole disks (via X-Copy) works beautifully now! YAY!! This is a huge step forward! Next I'm going to try and see if saving music, pictures, audio samples etc. without errors works too, but I guess it should.

I still haven't figured out how to run the Gotek w/o HXCSDFE.CFG though (as in cycling through .adf images in root w/o adding them in the selector first) Hmmm ...
Just remove HXCSDFE.CFG and FlashFloppy will automatically enter config-less mode.

I have updated the Usage documentation to explain a little better. Live on github and included in the new rollup of the v0.3.0a distribution.
Old 07 August 2017, 01:21   #132
SunSpire

When I remove HXCSDFE.CFG from the USB stick the Amiga always boots into the file selector (the Gotek display jumps to #13 no matter which other number I preselected, there are currently 13 .adf files and Autoboot.hfe in the root dir), file selector then outputs "HXCSDFE.CFG not found".

Example filename of an .adf file: 'Deluxe Paint IV v4.1 (1992)(Electronic Arts)(Disk 1 of 3)(Program).adf'
Old 07 August 2017, 01:37   #133
kaffer

Quote:
When I remove HXCSDFE.CFG from the USB stick the Amiga always boots into the file selector (the Gotek display jumps to #13 no matter which other number I preselected, there are currently 13 .adf files and Autoboot.hfe in the root dir), file selector then outputs "HXCSDFE.CFG not found".

Example filename of an .adf file: 'Deluxe Paint IV v4.1 (1992)(Electronic Arts)(Disk 1 of 3)(Program).adf'
Can you zip up your USB stick and send it to me (eg zone it).
Old 07 August 2017, 01:43   #134
SunSpire

I have not used "The Zone" yet (I'm new! .. will have to read into it), uploading it to my personal server for now. Sending you a PM with the link!
Old 07 August 2017, 02:01   #135
kaffer

Quote:
I have not used "The Zone" yet (I'm new! .. will have to read into it), uploading it to my personal server for now. Sending you a PM with the link!
Thanks! Probably just a problem with long filenames.
Old 07 August 2017, 09:26   #136
TimberWolf

Kaffer, is it possible to make the LCD backlight not time out, or at least take some time to do so? I've found an option in the selector config but that seems to be ignored. Assuming that the backlight timeout isn't functionality of the LCD itself ofcourse...
Old 07 August 2017, 10:37   #137
kaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberWolf View Post
Kaffer, is it possible to make the LCD backlight not time out, or at least take some time to do so? I've found an option in the selector config but that seems to be ignored. Assuming that the backlight timeout isn't functionality of the LCD itself ofcourse...
In v0.3.0a the backlight respects the HXCSDFE.CFG config value. If you bump the timeout to 255s in the selector config then the backlight will never turn off.

Alternatively you can hexedit the byte at offset 0x18 in HXCSDFE.CFG from 0x14 (20s timeout, default) to 0xff (always on).

In the no-config case the timeout is currently fixed at 20s. I might bump that to say 60s.
Old 07 August 2017, 11:00   #138
TimberWolf

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffer View Post
In v0.3.0a the backlight respects the HXCSDFE.CFG config value. If you bump the timeout to 255s in the selector config then the backlight will never turn off.
Amazing! Scrolling, and permanent backlight. All I ever wanted, and it isn't even Christmas

Thanks for what you do man. Flashfloppy is a great product, and for free even. Keep up the good work!
Old 07 August 2017, 11:19   #139
kaffer

Quote:

I have just released v0.3.1a to fix this. It was a buffer overrun, I'm not smart enough to use strcpy().
Old 07 August 2017, 12:32   #140
SunSpire

Wow! I hope you get to catch some sleep every now and then Applied the update to my A1200 Gotek, did a test run and it works perfectly.

Your firmware has now reached the point where it becomes incredibly useful! Not having to launch the file selector to re-assign disk images to slots every time - and the ability to add or remove files from the USB stick without reboot makes it so much more user-friendly. Simply awesome!!

But .. one remaining issue I noticed with the A1200 is, that the internal CF hard disk drive initializes faster than the Gotek disk drive, so it boots the installed Workbench before the Floppy image could launch. I don't know if the HDD boot could be delayed or something, but doing a soft-reset will launch the floppy on the second attempt.

Thank You, kaffer, for all your hard work!

EDIT: Now it's my time to get a pair of those 1602 lcd displays and figure out a way to add them w/o modifying the case ..

Last edited by SunSpire; 07 August 2017 at 12:41.
AdSense AdSense