English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.UAE Wishlist

Old 22 August 2006, 23:07   #1
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
VSync in windowed mode

This is just for Toni's todo list, and possibly better than asking him to support MMU

Currently, WinUAE only supports VSync (badly needed for many complex scrolling routines in intros, trackmos and demos) in full-screen mode, but not in windowed mode.
It must be ages that I have last used WinUAE in full-screen mode, as WinUAE will be the "absolutist" application, taking quite awhile every time to give way for the Windows desktop again ... so windowed mode is more convenient for me.

Possibly because I'm a WinUAE "worker" and "demo runner" and only rarely would play games.

Last edited by andreas; 08 January 2008 at 11:16.
Old 23 August 2006, 05:44   #2
Ironclaw
Banned

Windowed mode for me too always... never FS.
Old 27 August 2006, 22:23   #3
andreas
Zone Friend

Heh Ironclaw well this would be a retrogamer's dream if WinUAE could display a real-size 1084 picture in windowed mode without ugly tricks like scaling & friends (which will always affect picture quality negatively), wouldn't it?
Never cease dreaming.
Old 08 January 2008, 11:14   #4
andreas
Zone Friend

Bumped. I knew I had already created this thread.
Old 08 January 2008, 19:54   #5
Photon

I don't really see how waiting 2 seconds (if you have a CRT) at startup and shutdown would be in the way for anyone. You want to enjoy a perfect demo/game and still have a clutter of windows beside it so you can Alt-Tab ... while enjoying it? I don't get it. What is your workflow?

Also, you rarely used 50Hz when doing work stuff and need the desktop. I would never use Windows at 50Hz except with an LCD.

100Hz is usable for desktop work, but then anything that moves or scrolls will only move every other frame, giving a blurry motion trail.

To avoid any alt-tab delays, set the WinUAE resolution to your acceptable desktop working resolution, same bit depth.

As for sync, well, sure, if Toni can find some way of elbowing the WinUAE window to the front of the queue so he can switch buffers at the correct time. There are usually a bunch of overlapping windows and apps running with different priorities.

For me, 800x600 @ 50Hz Fullscreen synced works very well, just press F12 or Alt-Tab and the desktop is there.