English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 13 January 2009, 21:41   #1
Paul_s

Attn: those of you with A-Card SCSI>IDE

Jumper settings...

JP1 = IDE1
JP4 = Terminator Power ? (should that be on or off?)
JP2 = Terminator ? (should that be enabled or disabled?)

I'll be taking the onboard molex power and using it on the A-Cards power supply input.... does it need it though with such a low power device like a CF card?

Many thanks!
Old 13 January 2009, 21:54   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Paul,

Don't go away. I can help you with this. I'm just digging out the manual for my ACARD SCSIDE bridge. I'll be back shortly...
Old 13 January 2009, 22:09   #3
prowler
Global Moderator

OK Paul,

Before we start, here is a pic of my ACARD AEC-7720 SCSIDE bridge adapter.

There are three jumpers shown at the bottom left (JP1). These are the SCSI ID jumpers. JP4 is just to the left of the floppy-drive-type power input socket and this is the Termination Power jumper. JP2 is just to the left of the 50-pin SCSI connector and is the Terminator Enable/Disable jumper.
Old 13 January 2009, 22:12   #4
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
Jumper settings...

JP1 = IDE1
JP4 = Terminator Power ? (should that be on or off?)
JP2 = Terminator ? (should that be enabled or disabled?)

I'll be taking the onboard molex power and using it on the A-Cards power supply input.... does it need it though with such a low power device like a CF card?
I'm a little confused by your reference to "JP1 = IDE1" above, and your mention of power supply inputs. Could you elaborate, please?
Old 13 January 2009, 22:19   #5
Paul_s

Ah mis-type there! I meant ID1 Mine's exactly the same as yours

The power supply inputs - referring to the floppy type power connector... do those need to be hooked up? If so, do the pins correspond to 'standard' floppy power connector type wiring?

Thanks
Old 13 January 2009, 22:29   #6
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
Ah mis-type there! I meant ID1 Mine's exactly the same as yours

The power supply inputs - referring to the floppy type power connector... do those need to be hooked up? If so, do the pins correspond to 'standard' floppy power connector type wiring?

Thanks
Thanks for your quick reply, Paul, and if yours is the same as mine then that makes things very easy indeed.

First, the power supply connector on the AEC-7720U pcb will take a standard floppy drive power connector from your PSU, and second, the CF card adapter you are using will require a separate supply or it will not be detected on the IDE bus.

Do you have the user's manual that comes with the AEC-7720U?

If not, I'll talk you through the configuration now and supply you with a copy of mine when I have time to scan it.
Old 13 January 2009, 22:33   #7
Paul_s

Nope, I never got sent a manual with mine so a talk through would be great!

I have a 3.5" IDE > 2.5" convertor coming off the A-Card which then goes to the CF adapter - on the convertor it has its own power input line so that's sorted

Thanks again
Old 13 January 2009, 22:37   #8
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

http://dl.acard.com/manual/english/aec-7720u&uw.pdf
  • JP1 - SCSI ID Switch connector (3 Jumpers)
  • JP2 - Terminator Enable / Disable
  • JP3 - Activity LED
  • JP4 – Terminator power supply switch, default is ON.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACard
Terminator Enable / Disable. Generally, when your device is at the end of the SCSI bus cable or there is only one device on this cable, you should set the terminator as enable. The default value is enable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACard
Terminator Power. Default setting is on. However, you can turn it on or off depends on different applications.

Last edited by alexh; 13 January 2009 at 22:45.
Old 13 January 2009, 22:44   #9
prowler
Global Moderator

OK Paul, quick talk through:

JP1 - SCSI ID:
This consists of a block of three jumpers which can be used to set the ID number the SCSI device (in this case the CF card via the adapters) will present to the SCSI controller. The number is in the range 0-7 and the jumpers have values 4, 2 and 1 counting from the left on the above picture.

I'm going to have to post this info in several parts to prevent being logged-off and losing it. So if this is OK so far, just give a quick reply to say yes or ask a question if you have one instead...
Old 13 January 2009, 22:48   #10
keropi

when using the 7720UW adapter with my csppc, I have the power plugged and termination enabled.
Old 13 January 2009, 23:12   #11
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
OK Paul, quick talk through:

JP1 - SCSI ID:
This consists of a block of three jumpers which can be used to set the ID number the SCSI device (in this case the CF card via the adapters) will present to the SCSI controller. The number is in the range 0-7 and the jumpers have values 4, 2 and 1 counting from the left on the above picture.

I'm going to have to post this info in several parts to prevent being logged-off and losing it. So if this is OK so far, just give a quick reply to say yes or ask a question if you have one instead...
that's great. Thanks too Alex for the manual - some bedtime reading will ensue

I think everything is answered but if you want to continue with the notes prowler do feel free as I'm sure it'll help others who have this card
Old 13 January 2009, 23:12   #12
prowler
Global Moderator

Well, I guess my help won't be needed any more here.

But you might just care to have a look at these related threads:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=41108
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=41425

prowler

Well, Paul, looks like we posted at the same time! But I think a glance at the above threads should suffice.
Old 13 July 2020, 17:30   #13
ancalimon
Supernormal

Guys I need help regarding this as well. I just finished connecting 4 devices + one active terminator to CyberstormPPC's scsi interface. SYSSpeed drive test shows 12mb per second for most drives including the ssd.

Here is the configuration:

End of cable: 120GB IDE HDD Acard 7720UW (term on, termpower on)
Second connector: CyberstormPPC
Third Connector: 160GB IDE HDD Acard 7720UW (term off, termpower off)
Fourth connector: 500GB SATA HDD Acard 7730A
Fifth connector: 120GB SATA SSD Acard 7730A
Last connector: Active terminator

Here are the rawread test results:

120GB SATA SSD: 12.26MB/s
500GB SATA HDD: 25.80MB/s
120GB IDE HDD: 12.23MB/s
160GB IDE HDD: 20.34MB/s

Why is this happening?

When the 120GB IDE HDD was the only device on the chain, I could get 30MB/s on that device.
Old 13 July 2020, 18:32   #14
Daedalus

I'm not familiar with the CyberstormPPC SCSI, but the Blizzard 1260 SCSI will run at half speed (or less in practice) unless all devices support synchronous transfers *and* have it enabled using RDBFlags or similar. Perhaps one or more of the new drives need this flag set?
Old 13 July 2020, 19:44   #15
ancalimon
Supernormal

They all have synchronous and reselection enabled.
Old 14 July 2020, 14:09   #16
AmigaHope

Have you tried using 2 active terminators instead of using the ACard's terminator?

The way I always set my CSPPC up was:

Active Term
CSPPC
Drive (with term power)
Drive
Drive
Active Term

I always kept my drives on one side of the bus from the controller, and had term power originate in the middle (I don't think that matters but it's just how I did it).

Your problem could also be coming from mixing UW and U160 devices on your bus (possible LVD issues?)

What happens if you use just the 7720UWs (i.e. 2 devices, all UW)? The CSPPC can't really use the 7730A properly, even though it seems to work fine when used as the only thing on the bus.

Last edited by AmigaHope; 14 July 2020 at 14:35.
Old 15 July 2020, 12:59   #17
ancalimon
Supernormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaHope View Post
Have you tried using 2 active terminators instead of using the ACard's terminator?

The way I always set my CSPPC up was:

Active Term
CSPPC
Drive (with term power)
Drive
Drive
Active Term

I always kept my drives on one side of the bus from the controller, and had term power originate in the middle (I don't think that matters but it's just how I did it).

Your problem could also be coming from mixing UW and U160 devices on your bus (possible LVD issues?)

What happens if you use just the 7720UWs (i.e. 2 devices, all UW)? The CSPPC can't really use the 7730A properly, even though it seems to work fine when used as the only thing on the bus.

Unfortunately I my cable does not have an additional connector for a second terminator. (I have two terminators and I'm not even sure if they are working) Why do you have term power on? What use does it have? I also had term power on with one of the 7720UW but removed it hoping to solve the problem.

If I only have 7720UWs they probably will run at around 30mb per second, but I need the sata drives.
Old 15 July 2020, 22:22   #18
AmigaHope

Term power supplies power to the active terminators. The CSPPC doesn't provide power to them so you need a device that supplies term power. Your terminators also must support SE mode since that's what the CSPPC uses.

Your 7730As fall back to SE mode (they want to work in LVD for Ultra160, but the CSPPC doesn't support that) but their initial negotiation could be causing problems on the bus given the mixture of devices. (This is just me spitballing, don't take it as gospel)

If you want to check if termination is your problem, you could try removing just one device and put your second active terminator on the other end, moving all devices to one side of the bus. If this fixes your problem, you probably just need to get a new cable with one more socket on it.
Old 19 July 2020, 21:52   #19
ancalimon
Supernormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaHope View Post
Term power supplies power to the active terminators. The CSPPC doesn't provide power to them so you need a device that supplies term power. Your terminators also must support SE mode since that's what the CSPPC uses.

Your 7730As fall back to SE mode (they want to work in LVD for Ultra160, but the CSPPC doesn't support that) but their initial negotiation could be causing problems on the bus given the mixture of devices. (This is just me spitballing, don't take it as gospel)

If you want to check if termination is your problem, you could try removing just one device and put your second active terminator on the other end, moving all devices to one side of the bus. If this fixes your problem, you probably just need to get a new cable with one more socket on it.
So, you are telling me that just before the active terminators on both sides, there must be a device with term power jumper activated?
Old 20 July 2020, 07:03   #20
Jope
-

Only one device should be supplying term power on the bus.