English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 09 October 2002, 06:05   #1
searcher

Unhappy I need An IFF/8SVX and an IFF/ANIM Player for PC

Dear Amiga users,
I need an IFF/8SVX sound player and an IFF/ANIM animated picture player for PC. Is there any program (or programs) for this purpose? I heard the WinAmp can play IFF/ANIM animations, but the test was failed.

Thanks for any help

<akira>
sig stripped. Use your UserCP instead
</akira>

Old 09 October 2002, 06:14   #2
Amiga1992

Winamp wont play shite.

IFF/8SVX samples could be played with a sound edit program like Cool Edit or Soundforge...

Never found an ANIM5 player for the PC, if you find one, let me know

And please don't type your signature directly. Read the forum rules and FAQS please.
Old 09 October 2002, 15:41   #3
the wolf
Just Leeching

Well, as far as i know it doesn't exists an anim iff player for PC.
I had the same problem, as I made some anims long time ago on my amiga.
So, you have one of this choices:

First of all, you MUST use at least one of this program on Amiga DOS, all downloadable from Aminet:

BuildAnim: load animation and split the frames.
WhirlGif: reads a series of GIF files, and produces a single gif file composed of those images.
Anim2Gif: converts (guess!) anims to gifs.

Well, Anim2Gif seems the best of bunch, but requires the other two programs and it's veeeeery slow (IMHO). Let's say for a 100 frames animation, it tooks about an hour! :eek

The best solution for me is to use Buildanim (in Amiga Dos), which split automatically the frames of animation in sequence numbers, then load the pictures using a gif animator on PC and "rebuild" the anim.

A very good program for the iff music files on PC is GoldWave: like AudioMaster for Amiga had many options and filters, converts CD tracks directly into MP3, and is almost easy to use.

A quick trick: to listen your "standard and not so long" Amiga IFF music files, rename them with the .snd or .au extension, and play them with WinAMP!

Cheers!
Old 09 October 2002, 16:25   #4
Amiga1992

You can convert an ANIM animation to Animnated GIF using Cloanto's Personal Paint. That's what I do!
Old 11 October 2002, 01:28   #5
searcher

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Winamp wont play shite.

IFF/8SVX samples could be played with a sound edit program like Cool Edit or Soundforge...

Never found an ANIM5 player for the PC, if you find one, let me know

And please don't type your signature directly. Read the forum rules and FAQS please.
Oh God, what an expensive program! SoundForge is 22Mb in length and $400 in price. Is this a gold mine?! ...Hooooom... well, I will test CoolEdit in stead, to be duly punished for "SonicFoundry Inc". That's a good think! :eek

Now, I'm searching for "CoolEdit" by "Google" search engine. HOORAY...., I find it. But!? ... what?! ... Oh Mammy, CoolEdit is a text editor.

Thanks dear Akira for your reply. I think you are right and there is not an IFF/ANIM player for PC. I searched the net from top to down completely, but I never found any. If I find one at a later period, I will call you.

Old 11 October 2002, 01:31   #6
searcher

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodoichi
I'm not sure if IrfanView supports anims.
well, I tested it after your suggestion. Your guess about the IrfanView was true partly. The program can view the first frame of an IFF anim, but not the whole. Thanks for your suggestion.

Old 11 October 2002, 01:47   #7
searcher

Quote:
Originally posted by the wolf
Well, as far as i know it doesn't exists an anim iff player for PC.
A quick trick: to listen your "standard and not so long" Amiga IFF music files, rename them with the .snd or .au extension, and play them with WinAMP!

Cheers!
Your comments were very helpful, but my need is a direct play without any conversion. why?... because I have hundreds IFF animation saved at 16 CD and if I want to convert them, I may be died!

What an excellent program. I downloaded the GoldWave and I found it very useful. Thanks, thanks, thanks. Your trick was very helpful too. I must thank for it again.

Now, a gift for all of the forum users:

Do you know a PC version of "Directory Opus" is presented on the net? If you want, you can find it at:

HTTP://www.gpsoft.com.au

Old 11 October 2002, 14:51   #8
the wolf
Just Leeching

Quote:
Your comments were very helpful, but my need is a direct play without any conversion. why?... because I have hundreds IFF animation saved at 16 CD and if I want to convert them, I may be died!
Oh, boy... 16 CDs??? :eek
May God help you..
I guess unfortunately there aren't much more choices that the one I told you or view directly the anims with the WinUAE and save them in AVI format...

If you find another way to view them on PC, let me know!
Good luck!
Old 11 October 2002, 17:18   #9
Amiga1992

I think you will have to resort to emulation to see the anim files then... But you should really get yourself an Amiga.
Old 12 October 2002, 15:33   #10
Amiga1992

OK, Thank Amigaboy for this:
http://cosmigo.com/promotion/

It's not a free program, but it's quite cheap!
Old 13 October 2002, 02:49   #11
searcher

Big grin I Find at last

Good news:

I found a very excellent IFF/ANIM player on PC at last. If you want, please point to:

http://www.randelshofer.ch/multishow/download.html

"MultiShow" is a java program for free, and can show a varied of files such as AIFF, MOV, AVI, JPG, PNG, TXT, RTF as well as IFF/ANIM files. If your IFF/ANIM have not an extension or have a wrong extension, this program can play it none the less!

Old 13 October 2002, 20:18   #12
the wolf
Just Leeching

Good job!

Great Program!

Old 15 October 2002, 01:13   #13
Amiga1992

w00t!

Thansk a lot!!!!
Old 18 June 2007, 05:49   #14
markmark

If someone is still interested, I made an open source decoding library and a SDL based player playing nearly all of this IFF ANIMs.
special features:
-ANIMs with audio
-ANIM J decompression
-conversion to BMP files

http://murkymind.de

Multishow doesn't play a lot of ANIM files proberly.

Old 01 August 2008, 17:21   #15
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Just tried that program and it doesn't work at all :-( , not even an error message.
Old 01 August 2008, 17:47   #16
hit

its a commandline tool, no gui, it seems. so open a dosbox on your windows machine and type something like:
iffanimplay.exe example.anim
just tested on a linux box using wine. is working.

Edit: what happened to markmark's account? was it removed, purged?

Last edited by hit; 01 August 2008 at 18:13.
Old 02 August 2008, 00:58   #17
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Oh, I see. (The normal thing to do would be to display a usage template if there are missing arguments.)

Testing with BoingThrows, there some corruption on the man's skin during some frames. Apart from that it seems to work.
Old 02 August 2008, 10:50   #18
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hit View Post
Edit: what happened to markmark's account? was it removed, purged?
Yes, presumably because he wasn't active for a long time and only had a few posts.
Old 02 August 2008, 12:55   #19
hit

Minuous: i compiled the source on a linux box. there is a usage message, starting the tool w/o arguments. the bad one on this linux binary is the distorted sound, no clue how to fix that :/
was using xanim (http://xanim.polter.net/) on *nix boxes, but sound doesnt work here.

Graham: ok, i c.
Old 03 August 2008, 09:05   #20
OddbOd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
The normal thing to do would be to display a usage template if there are missing arguments.
Actually it tries to, if you check in the directory where you are running iffanimplay there will be a text file called stdout.txt, run the program without arguments and the usage will end up in that file. A quirk of programs using the SDL library is that by default they redirect stdout and stderr to text files, it's like that so non-console applications can output usage/debug messages.