English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 07 August 2020, 01:50   #21
fxgogo
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Richmond / U.K.
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by amigatime View Post
Okay, it was difficult getting focused on the detail with my phone, but here goes.

CRT-Royale, Kurozumi preset on LG C8 @ 4K:



Emulated Mega Drive version of Flashback.
That does look good. I have played with the winUAE shaders but not this one. Definitely will give it a go. That might be the 80% I am looking for.

You make a good point about getting a high enough resolution to represent the analog feel. I have managed to create great analog looks in After Effects for some of my animation work, and having the resolution there to create blurs and chromatic deviations really helps.
fxgogo is offline  
Old 07 August 2020, 03:04   #22
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Retro-Nerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Germany
Age: 48
Posts: 12,050
The best CRT shader in Retroarch is by far "CRT-Guest-Dr-Venom". It has tons of options and supports several well known CRT masks. Looks good in 1080p and even better in 4K resolution. CRT-Royale Kurozumi is nice, but it simulates a Sony PVM/BVM with thick black scanlines. Not my cup of tea. But some likes it that way.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 07 August 2020 at 03:12.
Retro-Nerd is offline  
Old 07 August 2020, 10:53   #23
amigatime
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: UK
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeberbach View Post
OSSC is OK. It is not great for CRT use because it has HDMI output so then you will find yourself needing yet another converter to turn HDMI into component or HD15 VGA or whatever your CRT needs but unless you are extremely lucky it won't be HDMI! I have a 21" Trinitron here and an OSSC but it's just not as good as using a generic Dell LCD when I need to use the OSSC. It's not really for your use case.
Yeah, it's a shame. I just have to accept that if I want a CRT on this Amiga (and I really do), then I'll have to get hold of a PAL unit of some description. I'm thinking it's likely going to be a PVM or equivalent in the 14" to 20" range - whatever I can get my hands on without going silly - or possibly one of the classic consumer units of the time. I'd love a magic device that would do the whole range from PAL up to SVGA, and authentically, but I just can't see it at the moment. The OSSC Pro could be a solution in the future as it will have a frame buffer, so it may be possible to trade a frame's worth of latency for some processing that would make using an Amiga on an SVGA CRT bearable. There's also talk of a possible VGA expansion for the Pro to allow direct connection to a CRT.
amigatime is offline  
Old 07 August 2020, 11:01   #24
amigatime
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: UK
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxgogo View Post
That does look good. I have played with the winUAE shaders but not this one. Definitely will give it a go. That might be the 80% I am looking for.

You make a good point about getting a high enough resolution to represent the analog feel. I have managed to create great analog looks in After Effects for some of my animation work, and having the resolution there to create blurs and chromatic deviations really helps.
I'm not an Apple user, but I've read great things about the 5K iMac display when it comes to emulating CRT with the same shader. A user on the shmups forum posted a photo of his, and it looked very convincing.
amigatime is offline  
Old 07 August 2020, 11:02   #25
amigatime
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: UK
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
The best CRT shader in Retroarch is by far "CRT-Guest-Dr-Venom". It has tons of options and supports several well known CRT masks. Looks good in 1080p and even better in 4K resolution. CRT-Royale Kurozumi is nice, but it simulates a Sony PVM/BVM with thick black scanlines. Not my cup of tea. But some likes it that way.
Oh, nice! I'll give that a go today, thanks
amigatime is offline  
Old 08 August 2020, 11:32   #26
fxgogo
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Richmond / U.K.
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by amigatime View Post
I'm not an Apple user, but I've read great things about the 5K iMac display when it comes to emulating CRT with the same shader. A user on the shmups forum posted a photo of his, and it looked very convincing.
Me neither. I have not even seen one of those in action. Sounds devine.
fxgogo is offline  
Old 08 August 2020, 17:23   #27
Jope
-
Jope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Helsinki / Finland
Age: 40
Posts: 7,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by amigatime View Post
Do you have the OSSC connected to a CRT? My main concern is running an SVGA monitor at 50Hz, which I believe will have a lot of flicker. I remember that 60Hz was pretty awful on decent monitors and I used to prefer running at a minimum of 85Hz.
This is my experience also. The nicer the monitor (higher max refresh) the more flickery 50Hz will be.
Jope is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OSSC (Open Source Scan Converter) with an Amiga jarp support.Hardware 215 18 September 2020 19:18
OSSC Smooth scrolling on Amigs Borgy support.Hardware 25 11 July 2020 13:56
OSSC Recommendations amigatime support.Hardware 22 31 May 2020 06:53
Advice for OSSC and a1200 (PAL) Workbench issue Steve030 support.Hardware 3 10 April 2020 21:26
Amiga sound with OSSC Borgy support.Hardware 4 28 February 2018 08:51

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.07903 seconds with 14 queries