English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 01 October 2016, 00:46   #1
mai

Pinball Dreams WHDLoad Highscore saving

I played a lot of rounds of Ignition table.(real A1200)
I would like to know when will the highscore saved.
I am very confused and disappointed, because some reached scores disappears.

Also found a rare bug in ignition table:
I have shoot the ball through the left passage and afterwaeds the ball fell into the start ramp(the ramp with the trigger)
This could be annoying, if you are about to reach a highscore, because you cant continue now, operate the trigger has no
effect, no key is possible now, except F10.
Old 01 October 2016, 04:06   #2
-Acid-

I'm not 100% but most of the Pinball games seem to save scores on exit back to menu or when quitting the game back to workbench cleanly (ie not with whdload quit key).
Old 01 October 2016, 17:04   #3
mai

This one is really strange!
Is the highscore save procedure modified by WHDLoad slave author, at least no info in readme file.
I made some testing and still unsure, how to do correctly.
I have re-installed Pinbal dreams for easier reaching a score.
1. Test: i reached a score, typed the three letters and gone back to table selection screen, pushed space for highscore screen and the score is there. then i have preesed WHDLoad quit key F10 and started Game again to see if score is still there and guess, it is.
2. Test: i reached a score, typed the three letters and gone back to table selection screen, pushed space for highscore screen and the score is there.
Now it differs from the first Test, i turned Amiga off.
Turned Amiga on, started the game again and guess, this time score is not there.
So i think both is essential, go back to table selektion screen and afterwards quit with F10.
Old 01 October 2016, 17:19   #4
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by mai View Post
This one is really strange!
Is the highscore save procedure modified by WHDLoad slave author, at least no info in readme file.
I made some testing and still unsure, how to do correctly.
I have re-installed Pinbal dreams for easier reaching a score.
1. Test: i reached a score, typed the three letters and gone back to table selection screen, pushed space for highscore screen and the score is there. then i have preesed WHDLoad quit key F10 and started Game again to see if score is still there and guess, it is.
2. Test: i reached a score, typed the three letters and gone back to table selection screen, pushed space for highscore screen and the score is there.
Now it differs from the first Test, i turned Amiga off.
Turned Amiga on, started the game again and guess, this time score is not there.
So i think both is essential, go back to table selektion screen and afterwards quit with F10.
Whdload was modified quite some years ago to only actually physically save to hard drive after you quit out of WHDload.

It was originally designed to save files on demand, but that meant you would get OS flashing like you get if you dont preload a game, so Wepl changed it so that any saving of information to the hard drive is only done when a quit key is pressed, obviously in the case of Pinball Dreams, you still need to go through the process of entering scores and completing the hiscore procedure, and WHDload captures any save file demands to ram, and then processes them on exit.
Old 01 October 2016, 17:46   #5
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Just tested this in WinUAE.
As Acid and Gallahad have mentioned, you have to press ESC to save the highscore before quitting with the quit key.
Old 01 October 2016, 19:39   #6
daxb

A bit late but... Look for file "HI00" in the data directory. "HIGH" should be the default highscore. WHDLoad saves data when you quit a game by default. If you do a reset or the system crash no data will be saved. If you changed this behaviour data is saved immediately (NoWriteCache).

Find the file(s) where highscore is saved to is easy. After enter a highscore quit game and look in game directory for file(s) that changed to the current datestamp.
Old 02 October 2016, 23:44   #7
mai

So it is really essential to do both, go back to table selection screen and afterwards quit to Workbench!
Thank you for confirmation

Anyway, a sidenote in readme file would prevent confusing and disappointing!