English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.OtherUAE

Old 10 May 2009, 22:01   #1
Paradroid90
Open Source Guru

Creating HDF File of 1GB in size in E-UAE on Ubuntu 8.10

Hi Guys,

Had a few issues with creating a HDF file of 1GB in size to Format and install my WHD Stuff onto.

I have used E-UAE and have already created a Amiga Sys 4 Workbench 3.0 HDF from the instructions give by Dary via his great website.

I know you need to go through and use Text Editor on the uaerc file but can't set a HDF for the size i require so that the drive is re-conized in Amiga Sys 4.

What changes need to be made to the uaerc file to acheive this.

Also how do you get E-UAE to reconize the CD Rom for CD Rom support.

Any help would be appricated.
Old 03 June 2009, 23:59   #2
Truck

I'm a TAD unorthodox, but, well. (: Here's what I do.

#1. I tend to not use the CD at all, but image the CD's with a disk utility (or, well, you know, dd or something) and mount the iso in the OS, then use that path as a drive in my .uaerc.
Mounting an iso at a point in the filesystem needs the loop device, and works like this:

mount -o loop developercd.iso /home/truck/amiga/devcd

If you make the appropriate entries into your /etc/fstab you can mount that without being root. (Hint: Use 'user' in the options column. I'd paste mine but I'm on the wrong machine right now.)

#2. There ARE ways of using scsi emulation to hook up the CD, but it's a bit complex, though detailed in the documentation (in the textfiles.) I have never done this. I fully reccomend my way (:

I'm not using AmigaSys4, so I'm unsure on what would be different between it and a standard hd setup.

Old 04 June 2009, 10:26   #3
thomas

Quote:
Had a few issues with creating a HDF file of 1GB in size to Format and install my WHD Stuff onto.
As E-UAE is a port of WinUAE, it probably has the same issues as WinUAE. There were some versions of WinUAE which didn't recognise a HDF of exactly 1024 MB in size. Try 1023 or 1025 MB, perhaps it works better.

It's also a good idea to create a working config in WinUAE and then look into the config file for the entries which need to be added to E-UAE's .uaerc file.
Old 04 June 2009, 10:59   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
HDF of exactly 1024 MB in size. Try 1023 or 1025 MB, perhaps it works better.
Reason was bad default "geometry" values. (too small "heads")

Exactly 1G HDF had 65536 cylinders which equals 0 cylinders under OS3.5 and earlier (uses 16-bit variables). HDF number of cylinders MUST be less than 65536 if not using OS3.9.
Old 17 July 2009, 18:23   #5
ethnopunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradroid90 View Post
Hi Guys,

I have used E-UAE and have already created a Amiga Sys 4 Workbench 3.0 HDF from the instructions give by Dary via his great website.

snip
Link please. I also want one.

Old 17 July 2009, 19:07   #6
thomas

http://amigasys.extra.hu/
Old 17 July 2009, 22:17   #7
ethnopunk

I download http://amigasys.extra.hu/downloadeuae.html not sure if this is the correct one for Ubuntu. Is there a trick to adding folders as a drive?
E-UAE asks me for path, device name and volume name? Do I add the folder or a file?