English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Technical

Old 11 October 2019, 07:24   #1
Unkown
The Old Fart!

Lightbulb M.2

OK so i don't corrently own a amiga at this moment in time but as and when the day arrives i would be interested in knowing the following.

So would it be possible to run say Dual M.2's in a amiga computer ?

Or is this just not possible in this moment in time.

Just that i have 2 M.2's 500GB Samsung Evo 970 & 500GB Samsung Evo 970 +

Used to have both drived in my main gaming PC but there was not real point as you dont relly gain anything having 2 in your mobo. So one was removed and put into another PC (Archive Machine)

I like the idea of cf card's in my future amiga but would have loved having dual M.2's smaller size than i currently have ofc.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dual M.2 Case.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	64711  
Old 11 October 2019, 07:57   #2
jmmijo

An AMIGA is a LEGACY computer way before SATA interface was even a thing for PC's and the subsequent data transfer protocols used in M.2 drives.

You can get IDE interfaces for the AMIGA, at least for some models and possibly use an M.2 to IDE adapter or even a SATA to IDE adapter.

Not sure if there were ever native SATA or M.2 interface cards/adapters for the AMIGA as I have never looked for them.

I have a few AMIGA models with mostly SCSI interfaces so hence I have older HDD"s based on the 50-pin interface connection.
Old 11 October 2019, 18:41   #3
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Even if you could somehow connect, how would you use such a huge storage with Amiga?! what for?

What most of people did, get CF card to IDE connector and get 2 or 4 GB CF card for Amiga.

Something like this:

https://www.cdw.com/product/StarTech...g!329550103630!
Old 12 October 2019, 11:59   #4
Unkown
The Old Fart!

know about the IDE to sata adapter and the SATA to ide adapter used the IDE / SATA for backing up old IDE HDD's years ago.

Its not the huge storage i am after its the speed. Dont get me wrong i would be happy with the CF card but i was just curious if it would have been possible to do so.

I wouldnt go spending money on a 500GB M.2 for the amiga more like maybe 60/120GB M.2

Also there are achive reasons as well to consider for HUGH storage options as well.

The amiga comuters have survived this long so i don't as any reason what it couldn't use todays SSD/ M.2 Tech. If there is enough demand for such.
Old 12 October 2019, 15:00   #5
Unkown
The Old Fart!

I am 90 Confident that i would beable to connect the m.2 to the amiga via this or another adaptor but the remaining issue that i see is the drivers if any would be needed but i susspect they would indeed would be needed.

Simply you need drivers for other OS's inorder to use the M.2 of any shape or size.

So drivers maybe the only thing preventing us from using m.2 with the amiga.

Well it maybe some months before i can even thing of testing this because currently so no amiga so the serach continues and with chrismas kocking as well funds are kinda non existand atm.

One can only dream...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51kYJp-kwzL.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	64733  
Old 12 October 2019, 15:55   #6
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkown View Post
Its not the huge storage i am after its the speed.
You are joking, aren't you? The Amiga's IDE bus can hardly do more than 2 - 3 mb/s. Every 15x CF card outruns it already. Most CF cards are 10 times faster. Your SSDs are 2000 times faster. It's complete waste to try to connect such device to the Amiga. Better find some PCIe to M.2 adapters and put them into one of your PCs.

Secondly M.2 can be either SATA or NVMe. The former can probably be connected to a traditional SATA bus via an adapter. But the latter speaks another language. You cannot make it talk to SATA or IDE. From what I found with Google your Samsungs *are* NVMe.

Note that the connectors are keyed. You cannot connect a M.2-NVMe drive to an M.2-SATA->SATA adapter.
Old 13 October 2019, 07:42   #7
Unkown
The Old Fart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Better find some PCIe to M.2 adapters and put them into one of your PCs.

I have more than enough M.2 storage in my PeeCee's Thank You!

Well if i dont ask i dont know do i...