English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 07 June 2015, 16:51   #21
Cobe

Looking forward for an update. Check cd32.co.uk if you're interested maybe you can release it there.
Old 07 June 2015, 19:40   #22
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

i must say i am having a lot of fun on this game now i have a joypad!

jeez, is room 2,1 even possible?
EDIT: did it, after about 400 deaths...
jeez, is room 3,1 even possible?

Last edited by Mrs Beanbag; 07 June 2015 at 21:43.
Old 07 June 2015, 22:38   #23
jayminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
i must say i am having a lot of fun on this game now i have a joypad!

jeez, is room 2,1 even possible?
EDIT: did it, after about 400 deaths...
jeez, is room 3,1 even possible?
Well, yes, they're all possible I actually playtested the whole thing one more time on my CD32 now and completed it with about 70 deaths

For some spoilers about room 3,1 you need to grab the left "lonely block" first from the left side, then from the right side, then grab the right one and jump to the exit

So, version 0.94 is now done, the major changes is a slighty better looking statusbar and better CD32 support. You can now "save & quit" on the CD32 by pressing the 'play' button. I also found some bugs when erasing the save, not all data got erased which is now fixed. There are some other fixes here and there but nothing that changes gameplay. It should be safe to just switch out the executable. There are no more room coordinates in this version though!

Also, I did an updated iso with this version for the CD32!

The files can be found here as usual.
Old 08 June 2015, 00:22   #24
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

did it... bloody hell that was hard though, you are an evil level designer
Old 08 June 2015, 06:18   #25
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Wwee!! Another new Amiga game! I can see that you have spent a lot of work on this. It looks very professional. Can't wait to play it.. Will probably do that next week

Thanks for the game
Old 08 June 2015, 10:57   #26
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

it is easily the best AMOS game i've ever played, and huge
Old 08 June 2015, 13:10   #27
jayminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipoonios View Post
Wwee!! Another new Amiga game! I can see that you have spent a lot of work on this. It looks very professional. Can't wait to play it.. Will probably do that next week

Thanks for the game
You're welcome, I really hope you're going to enjoy it!

Quote:
it is easily the best AMOS game i've ever played, and huge
Happy to hear that!

Sure AMOS is limiting what you're able to do quite a bit, but I still think really great games could be created in AMOS if they don't have to be technically amazing. But I probably won't make another AMOS game, next one will be assembler or C.

But I do have some other old AMOS stuff I might clean up a bit and release aswell.
Old 08 June 2015, 14:12   #28
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

63 stars! Only one left!
Old 08 June 2015, 17:29   #29
jayminer

Quote:
63 stars! Only one left!
Nice, may I ask which is the last one, just curious which one you think is the hardest to get?

Also, you're probably gonna hate me even more for my level design after getting all 64 stars, there is a really hard area you can get to after that only a few rooms long though!
Old 08 June 2015, 17:45   #30
spud

Very very very very difficult, I managed 5 stars with 100 lives lost. At this point an extra number count appeared above the lives lost counter and started incrementing.
Old 08 June 2015, 17:53   #31
jayminer

Hmmm, just tried it and I see what you mean, I moved the text around a bit yesterday and must have done something wrong :/ and never died that many deaths when I did my complete playthrough yesterday :/ will fix this soon!

About the difficulty, yes it's hard, I personally don't think it's all that hard, I would categorize it in the same category as many other modern retro games such as VVVVVV, You Have to Win the Game, Super Meat Boy and others. Hard but with lots of checkpoints and unlimited lifes so you can just keep trying until you get the hang of things, unlike old games that was crazy hard and you only got 3 lives and then had to start from the beginning
Old 08 June 2015, 20:26   #32
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayminer View Post
Sure AMOS is limiting what you're able to do quite a bit, but I still think really great games could be created in AMOS if they don't have to be technically amazing.
This is the correct way to approach AMOS "Keep It Simple, Stupid", i think a lot of people come at it with these grand designs in their head, with amazing graphics and everything, and then find they bit off more than they could chew because AMOS doesn't have much in the way of teeth. Been there, done that. I'm making PuzCat 2 in AMOS again for various reasons, including i want to see what i can get out of it now i'm older and wiser.

i don't know if i'd say the last star is the hardest. Some of them, once you go in the room you can't get out again so you've got no choice but to keep at it. (i am currently stuck on screen 19, 3)

i'd say i'm amazed that you can do a complete playthrough without losing a hundred lives but i'm actually not, it's a game that you really do get better the more you play it and you've surely played it quite a lot. It's one thing that makes designing games hard i think, i can play through most Mr Beanbag levels without loss of life but then i watch some novice at it and they find it hard in ways that surprise me.

Also i'm not sure if the emulator has some lag on the controls, sometimes it seems to react a little after i press the button, then again maybe i'm just telling myself that to cover up for my ineptitude!

Last edited by Mrs Beanbag; 08 June 2015 at 21:13.
Old 08 June 2015, 22:00   #33
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

YES! I got the 64th star!

Now what... the map has a castle on it but i can't jump that far

RIGHT I AM IN THE CASTLE NOW AND I DON'T EVEN

Last edited by Mrs Beanbag; 08 June 2015 at 22:08.
Old 08 June 2015, 22:57   #34
jayminer

Quote:
This is the correct way to approach AMOS "Keep It Simple, Stupid", i think a lot of people come at it with these grand designs in their head, with amazing graphics and everything, and then find they bit off more than they could chew because AMOS doesn't have much in the way of teeth. Been there, done that. I'm making PuzCat 2 in AMOS again for various reasons, including i want to see what i can get out of it now i'm older and wiser.

i don't know if i'd say the last star is the hardest. Some of them, once you go in the room you can't get out again so you've got no choice but to keep at it. (i am currently stuck on screen 19, 3)

i'd say i'm amazed that you can do a complete playthrough without losing a hundred lives but i'm actually not, it's a game that you really do get better the more you play it and you've surely played it quite a lot. It's one thing that makes designing games hard i think, i can play through most Mr Beanbag levels without loss of life but then i watch some novice at it and they find it hard in ways that surprise me.

Also i'm not sure if the emulator has some lag on the controls, sometimes it seems to react a little after i press the button, then again maybe i'm just telling myself that to cover up for my ineptitude!
I actually think the game is a lot harder when I play it on UAE, I did a complete playthrough once and I think I died 100 times in a room I usually think is quite simple. Not sure if it's my gamepad, my PC monitor or what it is. I played the game on my Plasma TV since my CRT recently died and I think that has 16ms lag (one frame) as default so I wouldn't think UAE would introduce much more lag, but I guess it does :/
Old 08 June 2015, 23:02   #35
jayminer

Quote:
YES! I got the 64th star!

Now what... the map has a castle on it but i can't jump that far

RIGHT I AM IN THE CASTLE NOW AND I DON'T EVEN
Well, I want to congratulate you on getting this far and my actual thought was that when you entered the castle you would be done with the game, but also unlock the super mega evil hard extra rooms for the people who really want to try and get through them. I have been thinking more and more of actually trying to get this to a version 1.0 now when I already have been fixing things, and I think I will implement this then, so I would say you can consider that you finished the game and are now playing this super hard bonus content.

If your stuck in the first room in the castle, just jump and grab the wall and mash the firebutton as fast as you can and you will sort of "climb the inverted stairs"
Old 08 June 2015, 23:22   #36
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayminer View Post
If your stuck in the first room in the castle, just jump and grab the wall and mash the firebutton as fast as you can and you will sort of "climb the inverted stairs"
yeah that's what i tried... can barely even grab the wall though, maybe try it on real Amiga at some point.

but not until my thumbs heal
Old 09 June 2015, 01:05   #37
earok

Very cool, I'm really impressed. Would you mind if we post this on the unofficial ports blog (http://cd32.co.uk)? Have you thought about doing a cover?
Old 09 June 2015, 08:41   #38
jayminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
Very cool, I'm really impressed. Would you mind if we post this on the unofficial ports blog (http://cd32.co.uk)? Have you thought about doing a cover?
Thank you! I wouldn't mind at all if you posted this on the blog, I just checked it out myself the other day! Great stuff.

However, maybe wait a little, I have decided for sure now that I'm gonna do more fixing of the game, I really want some sort of ending for the people who finish the game, even if it turns out to just be text I have already fixed the "more than 100 deaths bug" and I also did some small graphical changes to some sprites today since I figured I could do them better today than I did 4 years ago (well, I think it was in 2011 I did most of this game, can't really remember ).

Will probably have it all done really soon.

Also, if anyone is interested in doing some music please contact me.
Old 09 June 2015, 10:10   #39
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

i might be able to do some music
Old 09 June 2015, 12:51   #40
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Our short review is up
http://www.indieretronews.com/2015/0...ppears-on.html

Well done, it's enjoyable