English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 11 February 2013, 01:46   #1
jenxbunni

Error: Not a DOS disk in device df0 -- Help, please?

I've seen this question but no one seems to have an answer to the same problem I'm having.

The game I'm trying to play is Champions of Krynn. Starting out, it works fine...I configured winuae so it runs alright and the game works. But after creating a character, it wants to save it.

It asks me if my save disk is in df0 and no matter what I answer, it goes to an error where it says to insert a save disk in df0.

That's where most of the threads had some kind of solution, to make a save state and then load it in df0 and try again.

Now there's another error. "Not a DOS disk in device df0". And the only other thread with this said to restart the game with the save state in df0, but I don't think that's going to work cause my game has 4 .adf files already. ><; I'm just really really confused by this point and every forum I've seen has had really vague instructions. If someone could help with a step-by-step, I would really appreciate it!!

Old 11 February 2013, 03:54   #2
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Presume you need an AmigaDOS formatted floppy/ADF. WinUAE has an option on the floppy disk page to create a standard AmigaDOS disk, use that and use that newly created ADF/Floppy as your save disk.

The game probably uses AmigaDOS for loading/saving data, and is expecting an AmigaDOS disk.
Old 11 February 2013, 10:53   #3
Skope
Protracker

After you get this sorted out I'd suggest activating a second "floppy drive" in WinUAE (DF1) and use your savedisk with that, which would keep you from switching back and forth between the game disk and save disk.

That is to say if the game supports the extra drive (some do not) but it should.

Good luck.
Old 11 February 2013, 10:59   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

If you have 4 disks for Champions Of Krynn, you already have the save disk It should be disk '4'. Just put that in DF0 (sorry Skope, but COK doesn't support DF1...) and save your character.

Step by step guides are nice, but in general it's easier for everyone to answer specific questions. Good luck.
Old 11 February 2013, 11:10   #5
Skope
Protracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
(sorry Skope, but COK doesn't support DF1...)
Weird for such a game, but okay. Something to keep in mind though for other games.
Old 11 February 2013, 11:13   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

All the 'Goldbox' SSI AD&D games suffer from that problem. It's really a bit annoying, but luckily (except for saving) you don't have to swap disks often
Old 11 February 2013, 20:10   #7
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

You could use the HD version, save a lot of disk swapping.