English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.EAB

Old 24 November 2011, 22:45   #21
roy bates

to be honest if i was joining now,i wouldent mind one question to gain access to the wealth and freindlyness(if theres such a word)of eab.
Old 16 December 2011, 00:15   #22
RCK
Administrator

Updated to: What is this forum about ? (single word)
Old 16 December 2011, 14:02   #23
MrCheese

Carbon based unit here and a recent member. Just thought I would post this and giggle at the legitimate use of the word member. I had a forum question when I joined up, something like "What is this forum about". Good anti spam idea. Some sites show a picture and you have to select what it is from a few radio buttons e.g. picture of cat, choice of dog, cat, sheep, fish. Or you can have "What is the missing letter "Amga", with the answer in this case being i.
Old 16 December 2011, 14:30   #24
Graham Humphrey

We're still getting a few spammers through (I've killed one off just now, for instance) but the number registering has dropped significantly recently, so something appears to be working
Old 16 January 2012, 15:05   #25
Graham Humphrey

Looks like the spambots are getting through thick and fast once more

Just today I've caught and banned six that have signed up... a quick look at the members list reveals that the actual number is likely to be many more than that.
Old 16 January 2012, 15:19   #26
pmc
gone

Is it maybe possible to add one of those "type the letters you can see displayed as graphics in the box above" type things - not sure what the proper name for those is.

Yes they can be annoying but I'm guessing they're pretty effective at stopping bot sign up?
Old 16 January 2012, 19:45   #27
Synthesize Me
Amigaholics Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmc View Post
Is it maybe possible to add one of those "type the letters you can see displayed as graphics in the box above" type things - not sure what the proper name for those is.

Yes they can be annoying but I'm guessing they're pretty effective at stopping bot sign up?
I think you are talking about a CAPTCHA, the only problem with these is that there is software out there that can actually read and type in the text automatically.. I personally think the "What is the model number of the first Amiga released?" question is a great solution. If you are new to the Amiga then you can easily find out the answer within a minute by Wiki'ing it.
Old 16 January 2012, 20:39   #28
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

i dunno, you need to not be too harsh with the questions.

I went onto Amiga.org to look for something yesterday, and I consider myself pretty Amiga knowledgeable, yet I struggled over some of the questions!
Old 16 January 2012, 20:44   #29
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
i dunno, you need to not be too harsh with the questions.

I went onto Amiga.org to look for something yesterday, and I consider myself pretty Amiga knowledgeable, yet I struggled over some of the questions!
Aye, I could'nt get in (to amigaworld I think) cause I didnt know the certain spelling of billy's surname.

It put me off.
Old 16 January 2012, 21:02   #30
Ian
Global Moderator

The problem is that these days it's actually people creating the accounts. So all the captcha systems are pretty much useless.

There are plenty of spamblock hacks for vbulletin, some of which consult the known spammers list and some that use various different variations of captcha.

Best solution for a board this size is to make only one forum accessible for zero posters and moderate all post in there.

Any spam will be stopped before us "normal" people see it and the mods should then ban the account through the modcp.

Then when RCK has a spare few seconds he can just permanently ban all those accounts or he could assign it to his most trusted mod and give them limited admin rights.
Old 16 January 2012, 23:24   #31
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Best solution for a board this size is to make only one forum accessible for zero posters and moderate all post in there.
Good idea indeed!
Old 17 January 2012, 09:03   #32
pmc
gone

Seconded.

Sounds like a good effective solution to me.

Nice one Ian
Old 30 January 2012, 12:44   #33
RCK
Administrator

yup, it's a good idea !

what about this, zero poster member would be in a "new member" group that could only see "Member Introductions" forum with moderation active like "news" forum.
If real human post are validated, their post number would grow up to 1 and then EAB will move them to normal 'register' usergroup, without restriction.
Old 30 January 2012, 12:51   #34
Amiga1992

But then people will be complaining that they don't see the rest of the board. It could turn people off to force them to post in the introduction section.

I have seen this implemented by force in other forums and it didn't work really well. People get angry when you constrain them :P
Old 30 January 2012, 12:53   #35
RCK
Administrator

We can show the other forums in read only
Or better, let's close new inscription and make the board invite only
Old 30 January 2012, 13:35   #36
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
blimey 2 posts from rck in the same day \o/

what ever gets rid of the bots works for me
Old 30 January 2012, 14:08   #37
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCK View Post
We can show the other forums in read only
Or better, let's close new inscription and make the board invite only
Haha!
Well as always do what you think is best, but I believe forcing people to introduce themselves first might not work really well with some people who will bitch about it endlessly :/

If I get this correctly, this all depends on admin moderation anyway, right? So, is there a system like Wordpress's Akismet that checks posts for them being spammy? If such system existed, said posts would be flagged for admin approval and then the admin can see if it's spam or not and act accordingly.

You could also make this even more precise and only have it work with new users, so the system doesn't go and check for every damned post being made on the board.