English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 11 March 2006, 02:09   #1
Black Wolf

Send a message via MSN to Black Wolf
WHDLoad error

I have been using WinUAE, and with my current configurations, I had no problems running many games, even if it means adjusting something here and there. Today, I decided to use WHDLoad, which I installed under DH0:WHDLoad without problems. However, when I run the WHDLoad program itself, a dialog box shows parameters that you can use with it, followed by the message WHDLoad failed returncode 10. What does this mean, and how do I go about fixing it?

CPU: 68020
Chipset: Full ECS, Immediate Blitter/Cycle-exact disabled
ROM: Kickstart 3.1
RAM: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, 1MB Slow

I know that I have met WHDLoad's requirements.
Old 11 March 2006, 05:09   #2
Crackersixx

Have you installed a WHDLoad game? If so, which one?

Once a game is installed using WHDLoad you simply need to double click the game icon and that will launch WHDLoad for you with the proper parameters and slave file.

It sounds as if you are just launching whdload itself (which you can do but you must supply a slave and other params on the commandline).
Old 11 March 2006, 05:13   #3
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Wolf
I have been using WinUAE, and with my current configurations, I had no problems running many games, even if it means adjusting something here and there. Today, I decided to use WHDLoad, which I installed under DH0:WHDLoad without problems. However, when I run the WHDLoad program itself, a dialog box shows parameters that you can use with it, followed by the message WHDLoad failed returncode 10. What does this mean, and how do I go about fixing it?

CPU: 68020
Chipset: Full ECS, Immediate Blitter/Cycle-exact disabled
ROM: Kickstart 3.1
RAM: 2MB Chip, 8MB Fast, 1MB Slow

I know that I have met WHDLoad's requirements.
You need to run a WHDLOAD slave file, from the icon.
The Icon will have tooltypes set for WHDLOAD to read.., Parameters to load etc.

Sounds like your trying to run WHDLOAD by itself, WHDLOAD does not have a GUI.
Old 11 March 2006, 07:11   #4
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Also you should avoid using slow and fast memory in the same setup. Use either one, but not both at the same time.
Old 11 March 2006, 12:34   #5
Black Wolf

I'm testing WHDLoad with Ghouls 'n Ghosts. After I installed WHDLoad, I copied the game files from the two disks to a folder called DH0:Ghouls\data and clicked on its icon. All I get is a black screen and nothing happens after that. (Although I can press F9 to go back to Workbench.) I have put both kick34005.A500 and kick34005.A500.RTB in DEVS:Kickstarts. The funny thing here is when I click on the icon when both the game disks are present in the drives, it still accesses the drives. By the way, my version of GNG is the Defjam-CCS cracked version.
Old 12 March 2006, 05:54   #6
Crackersixx

Quote:
I'm testing WHDLoad with Ghouls 'n Ghosts. After I installed WHDLoad, I copied the game files from the two disks to a folder called DH0:Ghouls\data and clicked on its icon. All I get is a black screen and nothing happens after that. (Although I can press F9 to go back to Workbench.) I have put both kick34005.A500 and kick34005.A500.RTB in DEVS:Kickstarts. The funny thing here is when I click on the icon when both the game disks are present in the drives, it still accesses the drives. By the way, my version of GNG is the Defjam-CCS cracked version.
You need to download the Ghouls 'n Ghosts WHDLoad installer and use that to install the game. Just copying the files from the disks will not work.

The installer will ask you to insert your game disks and it will do all the work for you.
Old 12 March 2006, 09:42   #7
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

My WHDLoad version doesn't natively support the Defjam version, well I didn't put support in for it, so if Defjam modified the boot file beyond what my slave expects, then it won't work.

Ask around on here, and I'm sure some kind soul could give you an archive from an original version.
Old 12 March 2006, 10:22   #8
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

I got a WHDLOAD version (do not know what version) in my WHDLOAD directory, who thinks I should help him, given he joined up to get help with WHDLOADING a cracked version
Old 12 March 2006, 17:26   #9
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
cracked = no help ; whdload is original installed only.
Old 12 March 2006, 18:17   #10
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteb
I got a WHDLOAD version (do not know what version) in my WHDLOAD directory, who thinks I should help him, given he joined up to get help with WHDLOADING a cracked version

I'm not really in a position to criticise!
Old 13 March 2006, 01:23   #11
Black Wolf

I got Ghouls 'n Ghosts to work by downloading an original version then using it with WHDLoad, and it worked fine. I didn't need to use the install. I read CodeTapper's WHDLoad FAQ, and all I had to do was copy the game files into the Data directory, and added a ToolType to the main icon, so that WHDLOAD points to the game files in the Data directory. This wasn't an easy task. It took a great deal of preparation. Thanks for your help anyway.

WHDLoad is indeed a complicated program, and it is intended to work on a real Amuga. It often requires the original game disks for it to work properly. I don't own an Amiga, but if I wanted to use an original version of Dragon's Lair (which I have no plans to), I would be out of luck. Most of the Dragon's Lair disk images that are floating around on the net are cracked versions, so I would have no choice. But using WHDLoad with cracked versions really depends on how complicated the crack is.
Old 13 March 2006, 01:31   #12
Black Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteb
who thinks I should help him, given he joined up to get help with WHDLOADING a cracked version
I am going to pretend that I didn't read that. How do you know that this isn't my first topic on the board, and who asked you to help anyway? I joined up ages ago under the name "Exodus" when I was new to Amiga emulation, and wanted a bit of help from the professionals. However, as time went on, I was able to run most Amiga games under WinUAE by creating configs and twinkering with a few settings, so I stopped using the board for a while.
Old 13 March 2006, 04:05   #13
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
how can anyone stop using this board i check it everyday @ least twice!
even if i am not in an Amiga mood.
Old 13 March 2006, 17:36   #14
Crackersixx

Anyone who makes snide comments on cracked Amiga software needs a reality check.
Old 13 March 2006, 18:33   #15
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
I am going to pretend that I didn't read that. How do you know that this isn't my first topic on the board, and who asked you to help anyway? I joined up ages ago under the name "Exodus" when I was new to Amiga emulation, and wanted a bit of help from the professionals. However, as time went on, I was able to run most Amiga games under WinUAE by creating configs and twinkering with a few settings, so I stopped using the board for a while.
what you have to remember is that the reason why WHDLoad hasn't attracted any criticism from publishers is because in 99.99% of all installs, only the original is supported, otherwise WHDLoad would probably not be allowed to exist. For instance:

Cannon Fodder is still making money for Codemasters (they bought Sensible Software), because the WHDLoad install only supports the original, they can't really complain. But if I was to support the cracked version, why bother buying the official release for PSP or Gameboy Advance when you could run an Amiga emulator on those systems and use the Amiga version instead?

Occasionally, more due to a games rarity, a crack will be supported, and sometimes not even by design, a crack will work with the install, but WHDLoad has had a trouble free existence so far by not going out of its way to support cracks, and that is the way it must stay for the time being.
Old 13 March 2006, 21:19   #16
MethodGit

Interesting stuff there, Galahad. I guess it also explains the reluctance by the SPS team to help anyone into obtaining any of the images they list.

Is Cannon Fodder actually coming out on the PSP btw, or were you just making an example????