English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 14 February 2005, 12:34   #1
Fackamato

Send a message via MSN to Fackamato
The Amiga freezes

Lo

I have an A1200 w/ Bliz 060/48mb RAM, and it sometimes freezes during serial (nullmodem) transfer. Doesn't matter what software I use (amiga explorer, term 4.6). Any ideas?
Old 14 February 2005, 12:51   #2
wlcina

hm, try boot from floppy where is aexplorer installed and no other software running in background. (you can also try to disable blizzard)
Old 14 February 2005, 12:59   #3
keropi

be sure you have correctly installed the 060 libs
Old 14 February 2005, 13:04   #4
Fackamato

All the libs are correctly installed. I disabled the bliz and it no longer hangs.. Why is this? It has enough cooling, Arctic Silver Athesive glued heatsink+fan on it...
Old 14 February 2005, 14:01   #5
ant512

I remember vaguely that the standard serial.device has problems with 060 accelerators...

Hmm, can't find any info to absolutely corroborate that, but you can try any of these serial.device replacements:

http://ftp.uni-bremen.de/aminetbin/find?serial+device

I think I use the ArtSer device, patched to completely replace the standard device. It includes instructions on how to do this.

However, judging by your other posts ( http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=17301 ), it looks like you might be having motherboard/power problems. First of all, the standard lightweight A1200 PSU may not be able to cope with your accelerated Amiga. Secondly, which revision of motherboard do you have? If you have the 1d.4 or 2b boards, I'd guess that you might have encountered the bus timing fault. The symptoms you describe match exactly the problems I had with an Apollo 060/1d.4 combination.
Old 14 February 2005, 14:31   #6
Fackamato

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant512
I remember vaguely that the standard serial.device has problems with 060 accelerators...

Hmm, can't find any info to absolutely corroborate that, but you can try any of these serial.device replacements:

http://ftp.uni-bremen.de/aminetbin/find?serial+device

I think I use the ArtSer device, patched to completely replace the standard device. It includes instructions on how to do this.

However, judging by your other posts ( http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=17301 ), it looks like you might be having motherboard/power problems. First of all, the standard lightweight A1200 PSU may not be able to cope with your accelerated Amiga. Secondly, which revision of motherboard do you have? If you have the 1d.4 or 2b boards, I'd guess that you might have encountered the bus timing fault. The symptoms you describe match exactly the problems I had with an Apollo 060/1d.4 combination.
Hm, it's actually a modded AT psu to fit the a1200. I'll check what revision it is...

2B

bus timing fault :O :O :O
Old 14 February 2005, 14:51   #7
Fackamato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fackamato
Hm, it's actually a modded AT psu to fit the a1200. I'll check what revision it is...

2B

bus timing fault :O :O :O
revision 2b, yes

what can I do about it? i disconnected the blizzard now, same error, i.e. reboot but without the blizzard intro. after some reboots i get a guru, which disappears by itself after some seconds, then the hdd starts booting but hangs at some point. hm, the guru doesn't seem to come at all times, now it's just rebooting... this is the guru:

Error: 8000 0011 Task: 00002720
Old 14 February 2005, 16:07   #8
ant512

If the Amiga is crashing with the Blizzard removed, I don't think the bus timing fault can be the problem - this only manifests itself when you have an 040/060 accelerator fitted.

Have you tried booting from floppy with the Blizzard removed? If that works, I suggest that something in your startup-sequence is either not configured properly or corrupt, or your entire disk may have been corrupted (potentially caused by writing to the drive when it crashed on a previous occasion). It could even be that the drive is completely knackered, and is doing something evil to the 1200's electronics.

So, try booting from floppy without the accelerator. If it works, the startup-sequence/WB install is faulty. If it doesn't work, try removing the hard drive too, and then try booting from floppy. If that works, the hard drive is faulty. If it doesn't work, there's either something wrong with your motherboard, or something wrong with your PSU.

It may be possible for some kind of power spike to have been transferred via the serial cable (potential difference between the laptop and the Amiga, perhaps), but I'd have thought that the design of the serial interface would protect against this...
Old 14 February 2005, 16:11   #9
Fackamato

Quote:
If the Amiga is crashing with the Blizzard removed, I don't think the bus timing fault can be the problem - this only manifests itself when you have an 040/060 accelerator fitted.

Have you tried booting from floppy with the Blizzard removed? If that works, I suggest that something in your startup-sequence is either not configured properly or corrupt, or your entire disk may have been corrupted (potentially caused by writing to the drive when it crashed on a previous occasion). It could even be that the drive is completely knackered, and is doing something evil to the 1200's electronics.

So, try booting from floppy without the accelerator. If it works, the startup-sequence/WB install is faulty. If it doesn't work, try removing the hard drive too, and then try booting from floppy. If that works, the hard drive is faulty. If it doesn't work, there's either something wrong with your motherboard, or something wrong with your PSU.

It may be possible for some kind of power spike to have been transferred via the serial cable (potential difference between the laptop and the Amiga, perhaps), but I'd have thought that the design of the serial interface would protect against this...

Hm well, it doesn't boot at all, just blinks and reboots, reboots, reboots... So I can't boot from anything. This happens with everything unplugged (bliz, hdd etc)
Old 14 February 2005, 16:19   #10
ant512

Do you have another PSU lying around that you can test the Amiga with? Also, try unplugging absolutely everything, so you just have the floppy drive, PSU and RF cable plugged into the motherboard. Oh, and make sure the Kickstart ROMs are pushed into place properly. It is doubtful that they could have come loose, but it's worth a go. They are the only socketed chips on the 1200 motherboard.

Remember to take the usual anti-static precautions before prodding your motherboard.

As for the guru you're getting, some googling reveals that this is probably an error code returned by the CPU itself (a "cpu trap"); however, the specific error number (0x11) doesn't match anything in Motorola's spec.

Last edited by ant512; 14 February 2005 at 16:40.
Old 14 February 2005, 17:14   #11
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Naaaaaaa tsssss..... Why bothering about Serial use PARALLEL instead

Hello, I just would like to give a hint for safe and FAST transfers :

You need a PC with a DOS partition and PC2AM3.08 from aminet on one side,
An A1200 or equivalent with hard drive and more than 2mb chip (FAST hehe).

Now build the Parallel cable by using the plan given in PC2AM docs and now
you're up to Transfer rate like 40ko/s (Yes try it !!)

now under DOS type PC2AM.exe enter and on amiga go in CLI and type Mount PC:
afterwards use Directory opus pro 4.12 or better and now type PCDISK: on right window and on the left one type the folder where you have things to transfer.

It works in both sides PC-> Amiga Amiga->PC and it's pretty fast !!!!

Just need to reboot amiga when finished but it work FAST FAST for an amiga !!!

How do you think i upload so much game dumps to CAPS server hehe ??
Old 14 February 2005, 18:05   #12
Frog

PC2Am normally handle long filename but if i run PC2Am from Win2000, it freeze and if i run it from DOS, it says it detect 7.0+ but all win stuff aren't loaded...
Any hints ?
Old 14 February 2005, 18:30   #13
Fackamato

Quote:
Do you have another PSU lying around that you can test the Amiga with? Also, try unplugging absolutely everything, so you just have the floppy drive, PSU and RF cable plugged into the motherboard. Oh, and make sure the Kickstart ROMs are pushed into place properly. It is doubtful that they could have come loose, but it's worth a go. They are the only socketed chips on the 1200 motherboard.

Remember to take the usual anti-static precautions before prodding your motherboard.

As for the guru you're getting, some googling reveals that this is probably an error code returned by the CPU itself (a "cpu trap"); however, the specific error number (0x11) doesn't match anything in Motorola's spec.
I've actually reseated the ROMs, yes, tried with the original A1200 PSU too (with everything unplugged), same thing. CPU error, eh , hmh

Another thing, I managed to get into wb once (with all things plugged in), it was rebooting etc, but I held in the two mouse buttons. After 20 reboots or so I got into the boot menu, and I disabled cpu caches (to be sure) and disabled the startup-sequence. That got me into wb, but the problem does not lie in the software configuration..
Old 14 February 2005, 19:24   #14
Fackamato

this is really weird. I just powered it on, after it has been shut down for like 20 minutes. It booted just fine, with the bliz and all. Sitting here in workbench now...

Now I'll try a demo, onefinger.

AH! ONEFINGER, HELL YEAH *turns up volume*

fu neighbours!

keyboard is not plugged in though. so i'll have to shut down, plug in keyboard, and start it. i'd bet money on that it won't start after that.

edit: aaaaandddddddddddd of course it didn't boot after that! this is very weird! it ran the whole 1finger demo, i shut it down. plug in keyboard and no boot...

Last edited by Fackamato; 14 February 2005 at 19:30.
Old 14 February 2005, 20:03   #15
Fackamato

Hmh, well, I'm changing the motherboard now... I got a spare 1.D4

edit: solved, everything works now. I'll never play with a parallell cable again!!!

Last edited by Fackamato; 14 February 2005 at 21:05.
Old 15 February 2005, 09:46   #16
ant512

If the computer works briefly, it might be a heating problem. You may have a broken trace on the motherboard that's connected when the machine is cold, but disconnects as the machine heats up and the traces expand.

Glad you've got a spare board, though.