English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 02 October 2016, 20:59   #21
mark_k

I think there's something wrong with the way you're mounting the ISO image. (That's what you downloaded when you bought Aladdin4D, right?)

All the filenames are getting truncated to MS-DOS 8.3 character lengths. Which Amiga CD filesystem are you using to access the (emulated) CD?
Old 02 October 2016, 21:11   #22
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

(I haven't checked screenshots without enough information. I only support config files and logs )

But sounds like Rockridge CD (without Joliet entries) is added as a directory harddrive. You must use CDFS automount or normal mountlist based CDFS WB configuration. Tick "CDFS Automount CD/DVD drives" in Harddrives panel. Do not add your CD manually to harddrives list.
Old 02 October 2016, 23:59   #23
JZon

We're not worthy. We're not worthy.

CDFS automount CD/DVD drives is ticked. But, I'm using an iso image from this laptop's hard drive. (used ImgBurn, Data Type: MODE1/2048, File System: ISO9660 + UDF) (There are other options including straight ISO9660 and straight UDF)

I see why they wanted to change parameters or attributes or whatever to disc or hard drive. I found 21 install disks! LOL I put them each in their own Aladdin4D hard drive drawer, made 21 standard blank HD floppy disks, and the first copy was too big for the floppy disk. (or it was installing there, not sure. Is there a program that could properly make an Al1a and Al1b install disk?)

Also found an Ifxhits script file! Maybe this is doubleclick away from proper execution.

I tried running from the CD (iso), got the usual Cannot open support/alad.library- check installation. (I could make an actual CD)

Can I tell these... hold the phone.. just found a new script file (not the one in the attachment) It has all kind of instructions...

Have to button this up. Standby...Click image for larger version

Name:	Disks&Script.PNG
Views:	94
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	50276
Old 03 October 2016, 01:18   #24
idrougge

What exactly did you get as an original file?
Old 03 October 2016, 06:47   #25
JZon

Response

You mean an original disc?

I actually ordered this puppy in the mail. It came as a CD. I told DiscreetFx I wanted the original packaging too. He wanted to make sure I was really serious about learning Aladdin4D. I assured him yes, I am. The box is now sitting in my mom's closet. LOL

The CD (iso image on the hard drive) isn't a working directory as it is write protected and I'm unable to change the names (from lib to library).

But, I can insert fresh copies of whichever file I need, where I need it, quickly and efficiently.

Small update.. I'm finding script files that open to text documents. It looks pretty complicated like my original picture attachments, but very clear,

> Copy a fully working directory structure from CD to new location.
> Install required libs.
> Make required assigns.

Those 21 7z's ended up being 21 Newsletters for Aladdins Lamp. A new folder appeared out of nowhere after installing them, NEWSLETTERS.

Another new folder popped up after I'd been clicking around, A4Dinstall. (I put the fload files in there and tried executing them from there. Sometimes I get freezes and have to reboot, sometimes I get nothing, only the chip value at the top of the Amiga 3.1 workbench screen looses 500 mb's or so.)

Getting closer..
Old 03 October 2016, 08:29   #26
JZon

New Development

Great news.

I got a new error! LOL (see attached)

It's funny, I try to follow the stock docs, making new directories, putting things there, making assigns using Dopus, & oh, by the way, found stock WinUAE SnoopDos already built in! (works smooth) and...

new mystery scripts and or files and...

Found some errors failing to find new files not found (hopefully yet) in LIBS: magic.library.

Not sure how SnoopDos found this, possibly triggered by Aladdin4 (which by the way, was showing reference back to Aladdin4D) but a new library called magic.library was failing to be seen. I tooled around looking for it, then used another useful built in WinUAE feature, Find. The library doesn't seem to be available. (yet hopefully) The alad.library is being sought in a subdirectory of libs, which I'm working on now.

Standby.. .. ..

Click image for larger version

Name:	New error!.PNG
Views:	125
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	50277
Old 03 October 2016, 08:31   #27
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZon View Post
CDFS automount CD/DVD drives is ticked. But, I'm using an iso image from this laptop's hard drive. (used ImgBurn, Data Type: MODE1/2048, File System: ISO9660 + UDF) (There are other options including straight ISO9660 and straight UDF)
Amiga does not support UDF. Use Joliet (Rockridge also works but Joliet works better in non-Amiga systems) if you want to stay as compatible as possible.
Old 03 October 2016, 14:47   #28
mark_k

Quote:
I think you've inadvertently been making things very hard for yourself!

It sounds like you used ImgBurn to create an ISO image from the files on the Aladdin CD. For example if your CD drive is E:, you probably used the ImgBurn option "Create image from files/folders" then selected the files in E:\. That's how you managed to mangle/truncate various filenames.

What you should do, is use the "Create image file from disc" option. If you put your original Aladdin CD in the drive and do that, you should get an ISO image corresponding to your Aladdin CD. That should have all filenames intact.
Old 03 October 2016, 14:56   #29
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Or, even easier, just use the Aladdin CD. Or is that too simple?
Old 03 October 2016, 23:04   #30
JZon

Smart Computing

Joliet.. sweet.

Um... Mom's closet... Yes, I suppose I could go digging. (no telling where) I copied it straight to a file folder as it was..

It's simply it's own directory on hard drive now. No problems there. I don't think the CD was active like that, I think it was only an install CD. (you mean like put the CD in and it does everything?) It was probably the better part of two years ago, maybe more, when I last had the Aladdin box on deck. I tried it back then and quickly found out how envolved it was shaping up to be and put everything on hold then. It wasn't like an original CD with old school graphics, it was a recent looking burn. The directory was 16 folders and 16 files on the face.

I managed to be able to execute all the files I could ascertain from the instructions, watching in SnoopDos, no errors, it just didn't do anything in the end. Desktop was still active, no freezes. (I think maybe the freezes were from executing from wrong folders)

Then, looking around for the magic file, I found more unpacked .z files all over the place. Got them in position, consolidated the .z's to a DotZs folder(s), and came across a new install patch! The Ftp folder had a lot of stuff. (see attached)

So following this brought a new error.

'Aladinn4D:' does not appear to contain a copy of Aladdin 4D 5.0

So, I think I've done everything right in the correct order, I want to proceed, but, I'm not sure..

Should I try it?

Name:	InstallPatch.PNG
Views:	90
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	50295

Name:	Aladdin 4D 5.0.PNG
Views:	90
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	50296
Old 03 October 2016, 23:09   #31
JZon

Epiphany

If that's the case, I should've mounted the directory, AladdinInstall! LOL

I went and turned it back into an iso. (with shooting myself in the foot parameters) I'll be a monkey's uncle..

Ok. Going back in. Standby.. .. ..
Old 03 October 2016, 23:38   #32
DamienD
Banned

Arrrgh, I can't take it anymore, this thread is sooooo painful...

JZon, however you made the .ISO / copied the files from the original CD-ROM previously is the issue here; pretty much guaranteed

Please listen to what other people have already said, especially Toni and also what Arnie mentioned in post #29.

If you want to actually move forward with this forget whatever you've done previously and you'll probably need to do something like:

... Find your original CD.
... Put it in your computer's CD/DVD drive.
... Start WinUAE and load your config.
... Select "CD & Hard Drives", tick "CDFS automount CD/DVD drives".
... Select Start.
... Once your HDF has started you should have an icon for the CD drive.
... Double-click it, find something that is probably an install script, run it and follow instructions.

Last edited by DamienD; 04 October 2016 at 00:05.
Old 04 October 2016, 00:44   #33
JZon

Solved!!!

SOLVED!!!

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Everybody here was correct..

All suggestions were more than ample..

Great experience.

Ok. Yes, converting back to iso was inadvisable.

I created the new directory (193 Gb's) (LOL), named it Aladdin 4D, attached it and the AladdinInstall directories..

The whole setup looked different, less files, folders, and icons, big icons from which to choose from.. Night and day! LOL

The install went very smooth. Just make sure to change the name of the directory for where you want it to go, in my case, "Aladdin 4D:"

Then there is the procedure of installing with SwapFileLoader. It's already setup to cycle through the 3 options, .new, .516, .org. Just open it and follow the prompts 3 times, the first time is already set to the first option, the next time you click 516, and lastly original.

Other than that all is well. Thank you very much! JZon

Name:	Aladdin 4D 5.1Screenshot!.PNG
Views:	73
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	50297

Name:	Success!.PNG
Views:	82
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	50298
Old 04 October 2016, 00:52   #34
JZon

Ps

PS

How do I update my avatar and purge attachments? Will that remove pictures from the forum?

And if anybody knows how to make icons in WinUAE stay in their place and possibly make folders open to chosen size would be helpful.

Thank you very much! JZon
Old 04 October 2016, 01:49   #35
JZon

ProperInstallVsMyInstall

I took a before and after..

Attachment 50299

Got almost 2/3rds there. (the hard way)

Last edited by JZon; 07 October 2016 at 02:45.
Old 04 October 2016, 10:22   #36
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
SOLVED!!!
Phew, great news

Quote:
How do I update my avatar and purge attachments? Will that remove pictures from the forum?
Changing Avatar:
From the main EAB page http://eab.abime.net/ select "User CP", from under "Settings & Options" select "Edit Avatar".

Removing pictures from posts:
For each post, select "Edit" --> "Go Advanced" --> "Manage Attachments", "Remove" all desired files, "Close this window" and finally "Save Changes".

Quote:
And if anybody knows how to make icons in WinUAE stay in their place and possibly make folders open to chosen size would be helpful.
I believe you do something like this.

Arrange the icons / folder sizes to how you like, right-click, select "Window" from the top menu, "Snapshot" --> "All".
Old 04 October 2016, 10:56   #37
Tomislav

Why to make CD image when you can copy installation in directory and that directory define as HD in WinUAE. (Eventually, CD is good if you will use it on real Amiga)
Old 06 October 2016, 15:25   #38
JZon

Nice Follow Up's

Thank you. Thank you.

Yes, straight directory.. solved.

Best support here than any other forum experience I've had.

Thank you very much! JZon
Old 07 October 2016, 02:54   #39
JZon

Inquiry

I just removed the picture in the last response I'd made with a picture. It did indeed remove the picture from the board.

I was wondering how to purge my folder while retaining pictures on the board, in case somebody else wanted to see the results.

(Plus I would have to go to each post, I was looking for a way to batch purge all of my pictures in my folder as it's getting pretty full)

Also, I'm not seeing a 'show all files' prompt so I can see and select the files.

Should I just go back and retrace my posts and take out excess, unnecessary pictures like those docs that made more technical sense? OK That'll be a good start. Sorry for all the questions. Brother Jzon
Old 07 October 2016, 03:04   #40
JZon

Updatement

OK. Got rid of enough technical docs to bring my folder to half full (4.76 mb's).

(Still have room for future questions)

Is there a way to burn the images to the board, so I can completely purge my folder?

Thank you very much! Brother JZon