English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 04 December 2009, 21:50   #1
crazyegg

USB Subway Deneb: What Devices Do You Use?

Hi All,

I recently became interested in setting up USB for my several Amigas.

Initially, I wanted to get USB so as to attach a high quality USB mouse to my A1200. However, I quickly KO'ed that idea when it became apparant that most games DO NOT support USB mice!

So, what USB devices are A1200 / A600 users using with their USB Subway adapters? Where can one find drivers?

Since the A1200 / A600 has a PCMICIA interface, users can use CF card/PMCIA adapter card to transfer files from PCs.

So what's left? CD Roms, USB keys (but why since I can use the CF card/PCMCIA option)...

Just curious.

Regards...ed
Old 04 December 2009, 21:59   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

USB->SATA bridge (mass storage class)
USB->Ethernet bridge
USB AHI Soundcard (1.0 Audio class)
Old 05 December 2009, 00:25   #3
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I use a Subway in my A1200 and I have an external USB CD Rom connected through a powered USB Hub... I also use a USB Key for PC-Amiga transfers and backup/Storage as I have a PCMCIA Network card taking up my A1200 PCMCIA slot.

I was going to look into the idea of getting a small USB Printer but I am not sure if there is one that would work and I don't have the time at the moment to investigate...
Old 05 December 2009, 01:07   #4
kriz

Mostly for usb storage, memory readers.. But also mouse/keyboard sometimes. Works really good also...

Network and sound is what i would like to try with it, sound im not really sure is possible but have to check that...
Old 05 December 2009, 01:48   #5
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz View Post
sound im not really sure is possible but have to check that...
Works only with a Deneb.
Old 05 December 2009, 01:59   #6
kriz

Ahh ok, thanks i have the deneb aswell as the subway. This i have to check..
Old 05 December 2009, 02:03   #7
Cammy

On my A600 I use a USB numeric keypad, hub, mouse and control pad. They work with all system-friendly software, and surprisingly a couple of games I wouldn't have expected to work with them. I use the Anaiis USB stack on the A600 with a Subway USB card connected to an A603.

On the A1200, I use a USB mouse, control pad, DVD Burner, external Hard drive, hub, card reader with CF and SD cards, flash sticks, and my favourite USB device of them all, the Missile Launcher! Check them out here http://www.lifeaftercoffee.com/2006/...nds-on-review/

In the review it says the software is limited, and doesn't allow for pan and tilt at the same time. This is true for the Windows software, but not for Amiga! The Amiga allows full control over these things, letting you pan, tilt and fire with instant response through an Amiga joystick or a USB pad/stick, or with the keyboard.

Poseidon supports all of this stuff out of the box, there's no need to go looking for specific drivers. It's a complete USB solution for the Amiga (as well as MorphOS and Aros).

We have missile launchers plugged into the A1200 and the Aros laptop and netbook in our office, they're the best fun.

And you can get them from Jaycar on special this week (if you live in Australia), they're reduced from $49.95 down to $10!!! Get one while you can.
Old 05 December 2009, 02:16   #8
kriz

I also got a new usb microphone, would be great to use it.. I just tried now connecting it to my morphos machine. it showed as a audio device with Poseidon...
Old 05 December 2009, 18:00   #9
Cammy

Hey Kriz, does AHI recognize the USB microphone? I'm guessing that they are treated as a USB sound card microphone input.

I'd love to get these gadgets working through Poseidon and Anaiis :

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.23789
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30058

Fun little USB toys that could be set up and used for more than their original intended purpose.
Old 05 December 2009, 18:29   #10
Doobrey
Hamster tamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
Fun little USB toys that could be set up and used for more than their original intended purpose.
Toys like this ?
[ Show youtube player ]

Although I can't think of an alternate purpose yet.
Maybe attach a spoon for an automatic coffee stirrer or something?

But getting serious..
My A1200/Subway I just use with USB thumbdrives for copying stuff about.
A4000/Deneb has a 7 port hub and a crapload of el-cheapo USB-IDE adapters hooked up to my old HD's, ZIP drive, CD burner. As well as thumb drives, camera , keyboard+mouse, and coffee warmer (it was a Xmas pressie!)

Last edited by Doobrey; 05 December 2009 at 18:37.
Old 05 December 2009, 18:30   #11
asm1

Not that I know much about deneb or subway, but I assume Deneb is "Big box" Amiga only? or can it be used in a towerized A1200 with some sort of PCI busboard ?

cheers

Andrew
Old 05 December 2009, 20:11   #12
watertonian
2 1200s in Wisconsin

Send a message via AIM to watertonian Send a message via Yahoo to watertonian
@Cammy

The panic button I'm guessing would just be addressed via the HID class. The MSN wing-flapping-mutant-angel-thingy I haven't a clue how it works. If I HAD to guess, its probably addressable via a USBserial.device. (I use poseidan+subway on my 1200T) The gizmos I'd like to use are:
http://www.x-tremegeek.com/templates...roductID=22277
and
http://www.x-tremegeek.com/templates...roductID=20782
(My Wife won't let me get the latter of the 2, for fear of traumatizing the cat if I managed to get it to work)

@all
Like mentioned, I use a Subway USB card w/ poseidan, and use:
2 USB hubs, the Targus one is self powered (Important because the 1200 doesn't seem to like having too much juice drawn out of her clockport), the other is a generic one that came with a floppy drive I bought once.
a Lacie 1.44MB floppy drive (Works with fat95, reads PC disks fine, of course Amiga HD floppies choke on it)
A Samsungh A503 digital camera. (Mounts as a flashdrive via Fat95)
A Nextar 512MB MP3 player (Again, like a USB drive)
A Sandisk Cruzer 8GB thumb-drive (Careful with these, they are separated into 2 devices, one of which is a virtual CD-ROM that Poseidan will mount. The "CD-ROM" contains software that might be useful if you use it on windows, but I configured Poseidan to ignore it)
And finally, my Sony Clié PEG-TJ27 PDA. (2 modes, a program on the PDA will mount the mem stick as a thumb drive, and the Hotsync manager launches a script Amiga-side to backup the internal memory to HDD)

Also, I've used a couple of USB joystick/gamepads. (Most my games are WHDload, which HATES USB, and disables it whenever I start it, so its not too useful)
I've used a Macintosh USB keyboard with built-in USB hub, and it worked. (Testing it to make sure the U and E keys were really broken, or if my wifes XP machine needed some kind of wierd driver for it. They WERE broken..)
Managed to get my sister-in-laws IPOD to mount as a thumb-drive, too. The only things I've not been able to get to work are a Targus card-reader and a CanoScan flatbed scanner. Oh, and a logitech webcam. Though I've not played with the webcam much.
Not only is the poseidan stack VERY configurable, the author is extremely quick to respond to any bug-reports or general probs you might have. (Perhaps only because he lives in Germany, and I'm a night-owl :-D ) The few times I've e-mailed him, I've had a response within an hour or 2. (Poseidan will send bug-reports right from its prefs app. if you want) Aside from Subway being a bit slow (Due to the clockport being used in ways I'm guessing it was never designed for), I'm EXTREMELY happy with it.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I hooked up my Fellowes wireless USB mouse to it, though because of the forementioned problems with HW banging games, I simply plugged it into my Amiga > PS/2 > USB 5 inches worth of adapters.
Old 05 December 2009, 21:53   #13
AndyLandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by asm1 View Post
Not that I know much about deneb or subway, but I assume Deneb is "Big box" Amiga only? or can it be used in a towerized A1200 with some sort of PCI busboard ?

cheers

Andrew
Deneb is a Zorro II/III card, so you'll need a big-box Amiga, or an A1200T with a Zorro busboard.

Linky: http://www.e3b.de/usb/main_deneb_e.html
Old 05 December 2009, 22:04   #14
watertonian
2 1200s in Wisconsin

According to http://www.elbox.com/news_02_09_11B.html , there's some drivers for PCI based USB cards if you use a mediator, though I recall some problems with doing this. I'll have to look into it.

EDIT: Looks like its for the Spider USB card.
( http://www.elbox.com/products/spider_usb_20_pci.html )
Old 05 December 2009, 23:02   #15
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Spider USB is only supported on very early versions of Poseidon. As such the classes (and thus USB devices) are far more limited.
Old 05 December 2009, 23:06   #16
watertonian
2 1200s in Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Spider USB is only supported on very early versions of Poseidon. As such the classes (and thus USB devices) are far more limited.
Ah, thats what it was. I knew there was some prob. with it. (Was looking at moving my Subway to my other 1200, gettting a spider card, and using the clockport for a delfina card)
Old 05 December 2009, 23:10   #17
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Poseidon is now open-source so in theory you could compile a v4.3 with Spider Support if you were capable.
Old 05 December 2009, 23:16   #18
watertonian
2 1200s in Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Poseidon is now open-source so in theory you could compile a v4.3 with Spider Support if you were capable.
Might give that a shot, though last time I tried to compile something I wound up with the blinking red box on top of the screen. :-(
Old 08 December 2009, 01:57   #19
Cammy

Today I got ahold of two Dream Cheeky USB missile launchers. Although Poseidon recognises them, it doesn't bind them to the RocketTool class, so they can't be controlled via the regular RocketTool software. I can play around with the HID device settings and make it rotate and fire, so I know they at least work.

It's odd though, although both rocket launchers seem physically the same (apart from one of them having a removable webcam clipped onto it) they are recognised differently by Poseidon, and they seem to have different HID inputs.

I really hope we can find a way to get these working with RocketTool too.

The webcam is recognised as well of course, but has no class binding because there's no webcam software available yet. But it does say... yet!
Old 08 December 2009, 05:48   #20
watertonian
2 1200s in Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
Today I got ahold of two Dream Cheeky USB missile launchers. Although Poseidon recognises them, it doesn't bind them to the RocketTool class, so they can't be controlled via the regular RocketTool software. I can play around with the HID device settings and make it rotate and fire, so I know they at least work.
Great.. It works (in theory).. On Amiga.. I suspect my wife is going to want to kill me next paycheck..
Perhaps if you send out a bug report w/ debug on, Chris might be able to fix that? Also, have you tried the pencamtool and sonixcamtool with the webcam version? It'll export to ppm, but some clever scripting could convert that to IFF/PNG/JPG/etc..., and possible even set up as a web server. (Where filehits launch the rockettool proggy for the appropriate motion, and refresh the cam, should be pretty easy to do under quicksilver)