English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 11 July 2007, 22:55   #1
fc.studio
Cat lover

Increasing Fast RAM and speed.

I know that accelerator board without FAST RAM are nearly useless, but does anyone know if increasing the FAST RAM means that the AMIGA run faster?
I've a Blizzard 1230/IV with a 16MB SIMM. If I put a 32MB or a 64MB SIMM, does my A1200 will run faster?
At the moment SYSInfo reports 9625 Drystones and 10.04 Mips.
Thanks.
Old 11 July 2007, 23:05   #2
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@fc.studio

The speed increases only happen upto a point. basically the more ram you have the more programs you can run at any one time with out the system *paging* memory blocks to the hard disk and back. (MMU required for paging)

but there exists a point where adding any more ram wont improve anything. for an average amiga that enjoys WHD and a little apps then 16MB is probly more that enought, but by the time you get to 32MB only the most intensive lightwave / imagine scenes would work really use this much.

of course there are some apps that really do benefit from more memory (imagine / lightwave) but also video tracker / medss. so the greater your computers memory requirements the more memory the better, but there is a limmit.

you can improve the speed of the memory and this will subtle improve your score *going from 70ns to 60ns* will make a subtle difference, but you would get more benefit by putting your system into NTSC instead of PAL as this would improve chip-speed access.

also if you increase you processor frequency this also as you most likely know will improve your performance ratings too, but again, there is a limmit
Old 11 July 2007, 23:10   #3
fc.studio
Cat lover

Very clear. Thanks
Old 11 July 2007, 23:13   #4
thomas

Quote:
basically the more ram you have the more programs you can run at any one time with out the system *paging* memory blocks to the hard disk and back. (MMU required for paging)
You are talking about Windows, aren't you ? AmigaOS never had virtual memory and never did paging. In the same manner, AmigaOS never needed nor utilised an MMU, even if it is present.

Regarding speed, it only matters if fast ram is present or not. It does not matter how much fast ram there is. More fast ram does not make it faster.
Old 11 July 2007, 23:15   #5
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc.studio View Post
I know that accelerator board without FAST RAM are nearly useless
Don't accelerators (for the A1200 at any rate) with no Fast RAM actually run slower than a "regular" 020-powered A1200?
Old 12 July 2007, 01:46   #6
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@thomas
interesting, I honestly thought the Amiga had the ability to page. thanks you for the correction my friend. I am curious though does the amiga have a paging system when running under X11 or linux ?
Old 12 July 2007, 04:59   #7
BippyM
Global Moderator

I thought there were MMU progs that allowed "virtual-ram" on the amiga.. Surely this is the same as paging!
Old 12 July 2007, 21:51   #8
Secret Vampire

I thought general wisdom was that any MMU hack virtual memory systems were just that, a hack, and offered minimal gains, if any.
Really, if you want virtual memory that works it needs to be integrated into the OS kernel. To do it outside means relying on a kernel which doesn't have any kind of virtual memory capability, and just fooling it into thinking it has more memory available than it does, and using the MMU to move stuff around, or make an area of disk an extension of real memory.
So, since Linux has virtual memory built in, you would have paging when running Linux on an Amiga, same goes for BSD. X11 is a no, since that's just a windowing system, any virtual memory would depend on the underlying OS.

This is at least the case for conventional OSes, how something unusual like plan 9, where everything is, in theory at least, a device may be different. You presumably have memory devices which are not part of the kernel, so adding VM would be a function of the memory device.
Old 13 July 2007, 09:48   #9
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

I remember seeing a tool called "Gigamem" being advertised back in the day and I'm sure there were other virtual memory progs around too. I've never tried them, but I bet they run like crap
Old 13 July 2007, 11:59   #10
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

I would imagine though that if you had a good U2W Fast SCSI 2 device it would be quite seeless really