English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.Green Amiga Alien GUIDES

Old 18 May 2011, 02:53   #461
Ffin

Hi Milanca,

Thanks for all your efforts on the kernel, I am now able to run Amithlon in vesa mode on my laptop. I have 2 requests:

1 - could you please post a guide to compiling the kernel sources
2 - could you think about adding framebuffer support for the nVidia 8600GT chipset

Thank you for all your hard work.
Old 18 May 2011, 14:22   #462
Ffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerograph View Post
BTW currently I disabled SATA, can I just switch it on, if Kernel 4 works, or do I need additional drivers/settings ?
SATA and kernel4 work on my laptop, give it a try.
Old 25 May 2011, 14:39   #463
ck16

Hi All,

I've managed to get kernel 4 running with 1GB of RAM and detecting my Intel Pro/100 and partially working with my SB Live! card.

When I do a pciinsmod, the get the following output - it appears I have a missing driver called snd-emu10k1x.o:

3.Workbench:> pciinsmod
Loading module devs: pcidrivers/sound/soundcore.o, length 7571
Loading module devs: pcidrivers/sound/acore/snd.o, length 49751
Loading module devs: pcidrivers/sound/acore/snd-page-alloc.o, length 9272
Loading module devs: pcidrivers/sound/acore/snd-timer.o, length 23782
Loading module devs: pcidrivers/sound/acore/oss/snd-mixer-oss.o, length 18136
Loading module devs: pcidrivers/sound/acore/seq/snd-seq-device.o, length 7523
Loading module devs: pcidrivers/sound/pci/ac97/snd-ac97-codec.o, length 49226
Loading module devs: pcidrivers/sound/acore/snd-pcm.o, length 89721
Loading module devs: pcidrivers/sound/acore/oss/snd-pcm-oss.o, length 55032
Loading module devs: pcidrivers/sound/acore/snd-rawmidi.o, length 21184
Could not find module sound/pci/emu10k1/snd-emu10k1x.o (path is devs: pcidrivers/)
Error code: 4
3.Workbench:>

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Chris
Old 25 May 2011, 17:35   #464
amigoun

Thats intended. You can have your sound from SB Live working thru OpenPCI drivers.
Old 04 June 2011, 17:17   #465
ck16

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigoun View Post
Thats intended. You can have your sound from SB Live working thru OpenPCI drivers.
Howdy,

I installed the latest OpenPCI drivers and AHI 6.

I managed to get my SB Live! recognised under Amithlon - I can play a test sound in the AHI program under Prefs, although I hear no sound in AMPlifier even though it's configured to output via AHI.

In fact I can't any programs to output sound.

Any ideas? I've been banging my head against a wall on this problem.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 05 June 2011, 06:57   #466
Dreamcast270mhz
Die Copyright holders!!!

I have attempted to boot both kernel310 and kernel4 on a C2D Desktop. I am using SATA under PATA enulation. I have some weird agp nvidia in the machine, trying to get a more mainstream video card, any suggestions? Kernel4 does boot but I get garbage on the screen. Original cd version fares no better..
Old 07 June 2011, 10:04   #467
ck16

Anybody?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck16 View Post
Howdy,

I installed the latest OpenPCI drivers and AHI 6.

I managed to get my SB Live! recognised under Amithlon - I can play a test sound in the AHI program under Prefs, although I hear no sound in AMPlifier even though it's configured to output via AHI.

In fact I can't any programs to output sound.

Any ideas? I've been banging my head against a wall on this problem.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 10 June 2011, 15:50   #468
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

OK I confess to total rustiness but I have some hardware to test Amithlon on and need some advice

1) Its an Acer Aspire R3700 (Nvidia Ion2, Realtek 8168(?) LAN, ALC 662 audio). So with kernel 4 I should be able to run the LAN and audio. I forget if it will cope with 2Gb Ram being physically present. I recall my old D945GCLF2 did work with 2Gb but with Mem=512 or whatever. So in THEORY I should be OK with this kit

2) It has no CD. So how can I install from USB? I guess I can copy the Amithlon files to a Linux partition and boot them from Grub?

Any advice before I hose a perfectly good system. It's gonna be hosting a PILE of OS's

W7, OSX, DOS, Linux Mint, XBMCLive, Amithlon, Icaros (so far!)
Old 21 June 2011, 22:34   #469
nickey-g

Hi all,
Im trying to patch the amithlon system usign the above commands.
Everything seems ok untili ran a game called Dynamite, the system freeze in the startup screen of the game.

LoadModule L:Shell-Seg L:Ram-Handler LIBS:icon.library LIBS:workbench.library NOREBOOT
SetPatch SKIPROMMODULES ram-handler,shell > NIL: QUIET

I have try with a single module but i get the same result.
Is there any problem on amithlon with LoadModule and Setpatch commands?
Thanx.

Old 26 June 2011, 01:50   #470
milanca

Hello guys,

i'll try to give some answers to posts addressed @ me,

@vk3heg,

Both linux and virtual host. It highly depends on virtual machine engine. But besides winuae, why would one need to have 3 layers of emulation really. WinUAE will do the job just great. Amithlon will not run under virtual machine any better or faster.

@Ffin,

Regarding the framebuffer, i am sorry but no support for any newer cards. Nvidia never released open source linux framebuffer driver. If we ever get it i will be happy to include it. I am glad you asked about compiling the kernel from the source, but it isn't that easy, not at all. The process itself is started by a single command line, so that's easy, what i mean is setting up the environment. To be able to compile it under any newer linux distro, ubuntu for example, you'll have to compile 3 different gcc compilers to downgrade to 3.1.3 if i am right; to do some minor changes and patch every gcc before compiling it. Right now i am not exactly sure about the version numbers but i think first thing to do is to change some lines for GCC 4.4.x to be able to compile GCC 4.1.x; then patch and compile gcc 4.1.x; So you use newely compiled 4.1.x to compile gcc 3.1.3 (after patching it of course). Then you are able to compile amithlon's kernel using gcc 3.1.3. If you are still interested i might make a step by step guide. Compiling modules, totally different story, especially sound modules so i can't cover it all right now. The trick is you got to have that particular kernel version running you are compiling modules for. Chroot-ed environment might do the job but i haven't tried it personally.

@ck16,

i think all you have to do is set the preferences correctly. I don't have my amithlon by hand to tell you exactly what to do. Just play around with the settings, that card is supported natively, to set it up.

@nickey-g,

Is that game hitting up amiga's hardware? Amithlon doesn't emulate custom chips so if you run a game or a demo which requires them you have to use uae-68k.

Regards,
-milanca
Old 26 June 2011, 21:23   #471
nickey-g

@milanca

The strange thing is that the game is running perfectly when i remove (comment) the line:
LoadModule L:Shell-Seg L:Ram-Handler LIBS:icon.library LIBS:workbench.library NOREBOOT

The game requires CGFX/P96 or AGA/ECS and AHI.
http://amisource.de/dynamite/requirements.html

Old 09 July 2011, 15:40   #472
milanca

nickey-g,

Looks like something is blocking it from running fine. I really don't have a clue why it is like that but it seems you have found a way around. In general games are tricky without 68k-uae but you have a solution for this one.
Old 12 July 2011, 13:34   #473
Matthew90

Hi all

I have installed amithlon on 2 pc (just for testing hardware & kernel).

On the first pc i have succesfully installed amithlon with kernel 4 and drivers, all modules are ok, audio, video and network. (intel celeron 2.40 ghz socket 478, intel oem motherboard with chipset 845D ich4, realtek 8139 on board, audio intel onboard, geforce mx440).

The main pc can't load the modules. It give me this error: Could not find/create /insmod on linuxside Error code: 1 (i use pciinsmod comand )

Maybe is incompatible with the hardware ??

Mobo asrock nf6g vsta (http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.as...alivenf6g-vsta ), athlon 64 3800+, 1gyga ddr2 ram, geforce 8400GS

(sorry for my english )

Old 13 July 2011, 02:38   #474
milanca

Hello Matthew90,

I am glad it works fine on one of your machines. Make sure to download and copy drivers 4 patch, so the system can find and load a driver for supported hardware. I will have to join these two packs on the sourceforge.

If the system finds a driver for the supported hardware (if it is in the list) it will load it. If no driver is found then nothing is loaded (like the error 'nothing to load'). Your asrock motherboard is relatively a newer one but unfortunately neither alc888 or rtl8201cl is supported.

Regards
Old 13 July 2011, 12:56   #475
Matthew90

Quote:
Originally Posted by milanca View Post
Hello Matthew90,

I am glad it works fine on one of your machines. Make sure to download and copy drivers 4 patch, so the system can find and load a driver for supported hardware. I will have to join these two packs on the sourceforge.

If the system finds a driver for the supported hardware (if it is in the list) it will load it. If no driver is found then nothing is loaded (like the error 'nothing to load'). Your asrock motherboard is relatively a newer one but unfortunately neither alc888 or rtl8201cl is supported.

Regards
Hi milanca thanks for the reply
Amithlon is very useful on an old pc, now i can use it without leaving it in the dust

Old 14 July 2011, 13:47   #476
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by milanca View Post
Hello Matthew90,

Regards
Which ALC sound IS supported for sure? Which RTL network interfaces? Thanks
Old 29 July 2011, 22:07   #477
amigoun

Today I have tried kernel4 on an old M789 motherboard (VIA C3 Samuel2/CLE266/Castlerock gfx), but it does a reset every time shortly after loadlin command. I thought the chipset is supported or am I wrong?
Old 03 September 2011, 01:01   #478
XDelusion
Alien Breeder

I must admit, I have not read through this entire thread.

What I've done is installed this onto an old Dell Dimension 3000. I put in a GeForce 4 MX 400, and a Sound Blaster 128.

I ran through the alternate Installation Guide and booted up.

I selected my SB128 in AHI Prefs, but alas...

...no sound.

I installed Boing Bag 2 and then ran the Amithlon update choosing to install the new NIC and Sound drivers.

This ended up removing the SB128 as an option in AHI, so now I really don't have any sound...

I'm kind of lost. I've love to Have Sound, OpenGL, USB , and MIDI support. Perhaps someone could walk me through this by hand?

Also I'm interested in knowing more about the Virtual PAULA AHI driver, or what ever it is. How good is it? How does it work?

Thankx!

Last edited by XDelusion; 03 September 2011 at 10:22.
Old 03 September 2011, 01:22   #479
Dunny

Does this install on Core2Duo CPUs yet? I now have an unused laptop that would make a great "Amiga"

D.
Old 04 September 2011, 03:18   #480
XDelusion
Alien Breeder

O.K. Read the entire thread... Still need help.