English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 02 January 2019, 22:35   #1
Soopytwist

View by Name when hardfile boots?

How do I do that in Workbench 3.1? I have it installed on my hardfile (DH0) and would like my drawers to display contents by name instead of picking this from the menu every time and maybe show all files and clean up too.

My games directory is a mess otherwise. There is a folder called WBStartup in Workbench which is empty. Do I put something in there?

EDIT

Also how do I add background images like this dude:
https://imgur.com/WkWaXpW

I tried and just get a smudgy three-colour mess that doesn't look like anything.

Last edited by Soopytwist; 02 January 2019 at 23:13.
Old 03 January 2019, 10:42   #2
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soopytwist View Post
How do I do that in Workbench 3.1? I have it installed on my hardfile (DH0) and would like my drawers to display contents by name instead of picking this from the menu every time and maybe show all files and clean up too.
Select "Window->Snapshot->Window" to save the current mode for the active window. This requires you have an icon file for the partition/drawer you are snapshotting.

Quote:
There is a folder called WBStartup in Workbench which is empty. Do I put something in there?
If you want something to be launched at the Workbench startup (boot).

Quote:
Also how do I add background images like this dude:
https://imgur.com/WkWaXpW

I tried and just get a smudgy three-colour mess that doesn't look like anything.
Use the Prefs/ScreenMode program to add more colours on your screen. The more colours you have, the slower the screen refreshing becomes and more chip memory is consumed. So find a suitable compromise for yourself.

It also helps if you first reduce colors of your image with an image processing program that does that propely and maybe dithers the image if needed.

Last edited by jPV; 03 January 2019 at 10:47.
Old 03 January 2019, 22:41   #3
Soopytwist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jPV View Post
Select "Window->Snapshot->Window" to save the current mode for the active window. This requires you have an icon file for the partition/drawer you are snapshotting.

If you want something to be launched at the Workbench startup (boot).

Use the Prefs/ScreenMode program to add more colours on your screen. The more colours you have, the slower the screen refreshing becomes and more chip memory is consumed. So find a suitable compromise for yourself.

It also helps if you first reduce colors of your image with an image processing program that does that propely and maybe dithers the image if needed.

My snapshots don't save and neither do my backgrounds. When I restart (WinUAE, not a real Amiga) everything resets apart from 32 colours which has saved.
Old 03 January 2019, 23:27   #4
malko

Quote:
My snapshots don't save [...]
No emulator in front of me (from memory).
1- Open your hard disk (be sure this is the active window)
2- Move the window to see your HD icon
3- From the menu select : display by name
4- Click once on your HD icon
5- Snapshoot ALL
6- Reset & check
Old 04 January 2019, 00:12   #5
Soopytwist

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
5- Snapshoot ALL
6- Reset & check
No, doesn't work. Everything still resets.

EDIT

Background images save. Just not View by Name, for any drawer.

Last edited by Soopytwist; 04 January 2019 at 00:20.
Old 04 January 2019, 00:17   #6
malko

Open a shell an check the protection bits of "disk.info". Be sure it's not read only.
Old 04 January 2019, 00:54   #7
DamienD
Global Moderator

You do that by using the list command Soopytwist.

Afterwards if you need to change protection bits then use protect.
Old 04 January 2019, 08:33   #8
jPV

Quote:
5- Snapshoot ALL
6- Reset & check
2) and 4) shouldn't be needed. It's enough that the wanted window is active.

5) "Snapshot Window" is enough in this case where user just wants to snapshot the window mode to view by name. "Snapshot All" would also snapshot all the icons _inside_ the selected window, and that would be just useless writes.

For the saving problem I'd check the protection bits as others have suggested. I don't remember now what was the file name for the background image prefs file, but check the contents in SYS:Prefs/Env-Archive/Sys/ directory, that do they have write permissions. If it's not about these protection bits, maybe it's some WinUAE config issue... or hardfile vs. filesystem installation... I'm not that familiar with emulators to guess better.

Last edited by jPV; 04 January 2019 at 08:41.
Old 04 January 2019, 08:45   #9
jPV

Quote:
No, doesn't work. Everything still resets.

EDIT

Background images save. Just not View by Name, for any drawer.
Maybe you just don't have icon files for these drawers? Icon files are named like "drawername.info", you can copy an existing .info file from some other drawer for your drawer which is missing the .info file, and snapshotting should work then. Copy the .info file next to the drawer on the same level in the filesystem (not inside the drawer). Icon for the partition (root level of the filesystem) is an exception and you need a file called "disk.info" inside it (on the root).

Last edited by jPV; 04 January 2019 at 08:51.
Old 04 January 2019, 19:09   #10
malko

Quote:
No, doesn't work. Everything still resets.[...]
See attached video.
Attached Files
File Type: 7z ViewByNameForSoopytwist.7z (348.2 KB, 30 views)
Old 04 January 2019, 22:38   #11
Soopytwist

Quote:
See attached video.
Thanks, I was struggling a bit there. I've done what you did in the video but when I restart my folder goes back to icons and they're scattered all over the place as usual.

In my PC's E: drive I have Amiga\Games and Amiga\Software. In E:\Amiga there is one disk.info file for both drawers - is this correct? or should there be two disk.info files, one for each drawer?

E:\Amiga\Games also has a disk.info file among all the .info files for each of my games in there. Is there a way to edit an .info file to make it display the content of Games by name because snapshotting is not working for me.

EDIT

I ought to point out, in case it's important, that I'm trying to set my DH1 directory to view by name, not my hardfile. It is set as read/write in WinUAE and in Windows I set the E:\Amiga folder to not read only (although it reverts back to read only if go back into properties). I can delete and add things to the folder in Workbench so it is not read only.
https://imgur.com/oKO1CI8

Last edited by Soopytwist; 04 January 2019 at 22:49.
Old 04 January 2019, 23:11   #12
Daedalus

You need a disk.info in the root of every volume mounted on the Amiga side.

If oyur game icons are all over the place and can't be snapshotted, even though the drive is writeable, bear in mind that each drawer or file also needs an associated .info file in which to store the position. So, if the drawer icon for Games:Worms won't snapshot, you must make sure that there's also a Games:Worms.info file present.
Old 04 January 2019, 23:15   #13
malko

If I understand correctly, the Volume "Daniel:" is a shared folder ?

Since we are missing informations, here are my speculations:
I think you don't have a "disk.info" file on "Daniel:" and the OS is displaying icons that does not exists physically on your "drive" (did you select "show all" on the menu ?). Thus better to add a "disk.info" on "Daniel:". Open a shell and :
Code:
copy sys:disk.info daniel:
Reset and select again "view by name" and "snapshot" for "Daniel:"

disk.info must only be present on the "root" folder (for the drive). You can delete any other "disk.info" that is present on sub-folders.
Then you can create a "Games.info", "Software.info" by copying an existing <something>.info file with a command like :
Code:
copy sys:empty.info daniel:Games.info
copy sys:empty.info daniel:Software.info
PS: I have no emulator in front of me right now and don't remember if the folder "Empty" is present on SYS: with WB3+ (I mostly use WB1.3).

For a better understanding, you can read this

Edit: Based on some screen-shot seen on the net, looks like there is no folder named "Empty" on WB3+. If I recall correctly it's because you can use the menu to create a new folder with an associated icon. If you have default system icons on your config, you can thus use either icon folder for the copy. In the above copy replace "sys:empty.info" by "sys:devs.info".

Last edited by malko; 05 January 2019 at 00:08.
Old 05 January 2019, 02:58   #14
AMIGASYSTEM

@Soopytwist
Amiga OS has different types of icons (disk, folder, project, tools, trash can), the Disk.info is the volume icon while the other icons have the name of the files or folders.

If you want to memorize the contents of the folders all the files and folders, they must have a "real" icon, those that try to memorize are virtual icons shown by the system when they do not exist.

To easily create the icons use a Filemanager, in your case it is better to use DirWork that does not need libraries or installation, look at the attached video for how to create the icons:

DirWork Download

Video Tutorial: http://eab.abime.net/zone/Create%20icons.zip
Old 12 January 2019, 16:46   #15
Soopytwist

https://imgur.com/GiHJGpR
https://imgur.com/0qECre0
That's my current set-up. Other than trying DirWork nothing else works.