English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 15 February 2011, 17:46   #1
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Mouldy floppy disks...

Any guides on the best way to clean these buggers? I got some disks that have really gone to town on the mushroom front...

Im thinking about ripping the disks open and then cleaning the actual media with alcohol tape cleaner or something. Ive never bothered before but these disks have data I really want to get off them!
Old 15 February 2011, 21:25   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroBlaster View Post
Im thinking about ripping the disks open and then cleaning the actual media with alcohol tape cleaner or something. Ive never bothered before but these disks have data I really want to get off them!
That's not such a bad method of cleaning the disks' surfaces. However, be VERY CAREFUL not to let the solvent get too near the central steel hub. This is attached to the disk's surface with double-sided tape, and it could become separated if the solvent comes into contact with the adhesive.

If this happens, you will be very lucky to replace it in exactly the same position. If the hub is not replaced concentrically, then the disk will run out when rotated thus causing read errors.
Old 15 February 2011, 21:53   #3
Ze Emulatron

I bought 335 amiga floppy disks back in september. I visually inspected them and decided if they were good enough to get tested in the drive. If I could see mould they got chucked. No point keeping them I have over 150 blank DSHD disks to use with Transdisk and ADF Sender that aren't mouldy and shouldn't contaminate my floppy drive and cause it to stop working. I suggest you just chuck out mouldy disks.
Old 15 February 2011, 22:11   #4
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroBlaster View Post
Ive never bothered before but these disks have data I really want to get off them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze Emulatron View Post
No point keeping them I have over 150 blank DSHD disks to use with Transdisk and ADF Sender that aren't mouldy and shouldn't contaminate my floppy drive and cause it to stop working. I suggest you just chuck out mouldy disks.
It has been widely reported that mouldly disks will contaminate your floppy drive and cause it to stop working.

For this reason, ElectroBlaster is proposing to circumvent this by removing the mould before introducing them into his floppy drive. If the disks contain important data, then it is not very helpful to suggest that he just throws them away.
Old 15 February 2011, 23:35   #5
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Evening guys

Had some fun with these disks. What really annoys me the most is that all the disks that are mouldy are from an old st collection of mine just before I jumped ship to the amiga, this was around 1990. I have ignored them mostly only saving what I could be bothered with at the time. Fast forward many many years and I cant get over how badly these disks have got! Everything that the amiga used is ok?

Anyway I got an old tape cleaning kit out and grabbed the fluid bottle, some q-tips and got cleaning... some worked and some didnt. I gummed up an atari ste disk drive and had to thrash it with a disk cleaner and I almost did the same to one of my teac drives on the pc . I can say without doubt disks are a nightmare. Will teach me to hoard nearly 3000 of the dam things lol.

EDIT: And thanx for the help
Old 16 February 2011, 00:09   #6
Paul_s

If you can prise the floppy disk case apart you can wash the media itself in soapy water. Probably much easier to do with 5 1/4" or 8" media but worth a go if it's something you really need.