English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 24 March 2006, 23:13   #1
Spadger

C++ Compilers where/what to get?

Hello all,
I would like to know where I may be able to get hold of a C++ compiler for my A1200 machine? I've taken a look on some software sites, but the descriptions made no sense and truly left a lot to be desired. So, I would like someone with a no nonsense attitude to give me no nonsense information about how or where to grab a C++ compiler.

Thankyou for your help in advance.

Daz.

Old 24 March 2006, 23:17   #2
BippyM
Global Moderator

Storm C++ I think is about the best.. but then I know another member will disagree with me here!!
Old 25 March 2006, 00:10   #3
thomas

There are not many C++ compilers for the Amiga. AFAIK Storm C++ and GCC (G++) are the only ones. Most compilers for the Amiga are C only, not C++.
Old 25 March 2006, 01:55   #4
thor

How good/efficient does Storm C++ (3) compile C++ code?
Old 28 March 2006, 07:22   #5
Zefiro

There is also HiSoft C++

Old 28 March 2006, 09:45   #6
Spadger

Thanks for the info Zefiro.
It is certainly a more affordable option than Storm C. $159.95 developer edition for Hisoft C++ is better than the $249.00 I've seen for Storm C.
Cheers.

Old 28 March 2006, 11:45   #7
Zefiro

I think you should look in tosec for HiSoft C++, just for try

If you think to buy StormC I have seen some discount at www.alinea-computer.de in
the shop section.

Good Luck

Old 28 March 2006, 13:35   #8
thomas

@Spadger:

It don't know where you got your information from. StormC 4 is 49.95 € since years and StormC 3 comes free with the Amiga Developer CD (which you need for Amiga programming anyway).
Old 28 March 2006, 13:55   #9
Spadger

Hmm, not sure what happened there, just tried posting but nothing happened, so apologies if this is double post.

Thomas: I did a search on the net and that was the price quoted to me, thanks for the info regards the correctly priced version.

Zefiro: Sorry to sound stupid, but what is tosec? I'm no to up on amiga stuff you see, just getting back into it and all.

Old 28 March 2006, 16:42   #10
BippyM
Global Moderator

Tosec is a naming convention where certain ppl take roms/disk images etc. Test them, rename them and then distribute a datfile which when used with a rom manager will scan your roms/disk images and if the CRC/MD5 matches rename your files so they are correct!

Zefiro is saying that tosec collections (huge numbers of files that have been scanned, renamed and then spread) can be found on the net if you look hard enough
Old 29 March 2006, 00:25   #11
Spadger

Bippym: Thankyou for the information. Looks like I still have a lot to learn.

Old 29 March 2006, 06:19   #12
Zefiro

Just try

Old 23 April 2006, 07:24   #13
dilinger
Zone Friend

I tried StormC for a day and it was as buggy as hell!! not only the compiler but also the IDE. That was my experience with that.

I have been using the http://www.kefren.be Amiga GNU GCC tool chain for a while and so far I'm very happy with it. It's free and compiles C++ code too. Plus it's easy to use if you have experience with GNU GCC toolchains on other platforms and already know the standard gcc command interface and how to create basic Makefiles. If not it's always a good idea to learn how to use the GNU utilities (make, gcc, g++,gdb, etc) as they're freely available on all platforms and the skills you pickup will be directly transferable to GCC ports on other platforms.

GNU Compilers used to have a bad reputation for producing sluggish code, but they're catching up fast these days with commercial alternatives. At least on major platforms such as x86 and Mac. Not sure how efficient this particular Amiga GCC port is though as I haven't done any real tests...I would be interested to hear anyone's opinion who actually has though...

I dont use an IDE on the Amiga, I edit my code on my PC using http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm, again it's free. It has nice code collapse features and c/c++ highlighting. I save my sources to a directory which I have also given WinUAE access to and then compile my source and run the code in an instance of WinUAE. It's a lot nicer than working directly on my Amiga and having things crash every two seconds whilst developing and executing code. If WinUAE crashes I can "reboot" and be back in action within seconds :-)

If code optimization is what you're after than I have heard VBCC (another free compiler) produces extremely optimized code! I've heard great stuff about it in general. It only compile C, not C++. But then for most Amiga apps, C++ is probably overkill anyway.

Last edited by dilinger; 23 April 2006 at 07:40.
Old 23 April 2006, 07:54   #14
Slayer
Amiga Member

take a trip to;

http://ftp.back2roots.org/geekgadget...68k/alpha/gcc/

dropping directories takes you back into the main site...

I've used g++ to compile quite a few mud codebases... I can't code but I've been compiling for years... heh

the -repo commandline option works in 2.95.3 and I'm pretty sure 3.3.3 but appears (in my experience) to be broken in the other revisions...

gdb 4.18 seems to be broken to... use 4.16 from the earlier snapshot... although neither revision supports core dumps...

the speed is fine but mine are all generated with -m68060 and at least -O2 and you have to take into consideration it doesn't take much to drive a text based environment...

another to consider is this... there will probably be new versions of all the major releases of AmigaOS gcc this year... however, I can't give you a date!

hope this helps
Old 23 April 2006, 13:36   #15
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Just tried the link :
and it`s dead for me!!.
Antone else have any luck???.
Old 23 April 2006, 15:52   #16
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie
Just tried the link :
and it`s dead for me!!.
Antone else have any luck???.
just loaded for me.
Old 24 April 2006, 02:41   #17
dilinger
Zone Friend

seems to be down atm. i'll try again later as id really like to try 4.16

Slayer, do u have any info on who's organizing these builds, who's working on it??
Old 24 April 2006, 07:06   #18
Slayer
Amiga Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilinger
Slayer, do u have any info on who's organizing these builds, who's working on it??
not really I'm afraid, I might be dead wrong (I hope not) and it's not my information to convey... just a little something to look forward too...

if and when it happens I'll let EAB know
Old 05 May 2006, 05:10   #19
dilinger
Zone Friend

Ok, just to follow up on this...for anyone that's interested. Tonight I've been trying out Zerohero's Windows/Cygwin-based m68k crosscompiler GCC tool-chain. It seems really well put together and I haven't noticed any compilation problems yet. So anyone interested in setting themselves up a "modern" PC-based Classic Amiga compiling system might want to check it out here: http://www.zerohero.se/ . There are nice clear instructions on the site, so installation is painless.

He's also built OS4, MOS and AROS toolchains, for anyone interested in those.