English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 03 January 2009, 12:36   #21
s2325
Zone Friend

Yes, it's short because I made it in hurry just for spur/inducement real Amiga musicians.
Old 03 January 2009, 18:34   #22
chiark
Needs a life

Fantastic - not much I can help with other than positive encouragement
Old 03 January 2009, 20:20   #23
rodi
Zone Friend

Awesome work

It would be a old dream to have Sonic on Amiga
Old 11 January 2009, 14:06   #24
Banter

I got a recommendation!

Hi folks,

I was listening to some of Jazzcat modules ( example here: [ Show youtube player ] ) and I believe they really bring it in terms of 'Sonicness'. I would love to hear that on some Sonic levels (e.g. Electric City is perfect for a Scrap Brain Zone IMHO).

Take care,
Bartek

Old 11 January 2009, 15:30   #25
J.Tramiel

Cool, I love the sonic games.

But why re-invent the wheel? - why not just rip and convert the Genesis/Megadrive music from the real sonic?

Or use one of the thousands of midi files of the sonic soundtrack going around on the web?
Old 11 January 2009, 16:44   #26
KevG
Banned

Hi folks.

Just an update really....

Well, I have some sort of engine going now with curved platforms in it and it works really well. I have gone for speed rather than accuracy so it is a little glitchy in places at the moment but these should be sorted out with careful design of the map.

Just to clear things up a bit, I am not doing a conversion of the original sonic. I am trying to create a sonic-type game for the Amiga using the original sonic graphics with a little tweaking here and there. I never really liked the original sonic music as I thought it was aimed too much at children - it was too 'kidified' if you know what I mean. I am simply trying to create an engine that I can use for future projects although a sonic-type game is a good starting point because it has all the elements of a good platform game.

@Banter...
Yes, that music is great! Thats the sort of stuff I am looking for. I just love 'chip' music and I think something like that would suit the game very well.

@J tramiel....
If I could program the AGA chipset then doing a proper conversion would be easier because I would have 2 x 4 bitplanes to play with and larger hardware sprites. So at the moment I am limited to using the A500/A600 OCS/ECS chipset I'm afraid. Still, I think I should be able to get some sort of game working O.K. that looks similar to Sonic The Hedgehog.

Well, thats it for now.

bye!
Old 28 February 2009, 09:01   #27
Xenon

Hey! Any news of the project?
Old 07 March 2009, 17:59   #28
KevG
Banned

Hi folks.

Sorry for not keeping you all up to date.

Anyway, I have now got myself a new working A600 with a Compact Flash Card + more ram so that I can get to grips with optimizing the game - and it needs optimizing a lot!

Due to other commitments I haven't been able to do much recently apart from making a basic map editor and a basic curved platform engine. I intend to get something playable within the next few weeks depending on work commitments.

Anyway, it is ongoing so dont worry! Its just that finding the time is difficult at the moment.

I will keep you posted.

Kev G.
Old 07 March 2009, 22:24   #29
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Wot no post from Akira?
Old 07 March 2009, 22:44   #30
DoogUK
Doogster

I'm looking forward to this
Old 08 August 2009, 09:19   #31
Maren
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym View Post
Hi KevG

Well this is certainly an interesting thread, and it has generated a lot of kerfuffle

Anyway I think what you are doing is great but I honestly do not see you being able to pull this off in Amos. The only way you'll manage this is if everything is done in pure asm.

I have viewed your demo, and yes it wraps around, but there's no sprites, no music/sfx, no enemies, collision detection and all that other jazz!

Getting this to run at full speed at 50fps with everything included is IMO near impossible.

You need to forget the music for now and actually get a playable sonic game without it, you will need to consider mod size and that for memory/speed purposes but to include it at this early stage is not important.

There's so much you need to do/consider before the music!

I would love for you to prove me wrong though as I always wanted to see that Amiga could do sonic (a500).. AGA machines I am sure could handle it, but again 100% pure asm is the only way!

Good luck my friend and welcome to eab!
Reality check: The A500 is capable of that and even more, but you don't have to take my word for it, you may just go ahead and give "Kid Chaos" a try. This game looks substantially better than anything featured in Sonic 2 for the megadrive, and don't get me started with it's perfect 50fps speedy smoothscrolling.

This beautiful screen alone has 53 colours; you do the math

Last edited by Maren; 08 August 2009 at 09:26.
Old 08 August 2009, 10:24   #32
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maren View Post
Reality check: The A500 is capable of that and even more, but you don't have to take my word for it, you may just go ahead and give "Kid Chaos" a try. This game looks substantially better than anything featured in Sonic 2 for the megadrive, and don't get me started with it's perfect 50fps speedy smoothscrolling.

This beautiful screen alone has 53 colours; you do the math
Was KidChaos made with Amos?

If not your point is completely shot.
Old 08 August 2009, 10:49   #33
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
Was KidChaos made with Amos?

If not your point is completely shot.
actually, the whole "you cant do that with AMOS" argument is the one that doesnt hold up at all, given that AMOS allows you to add assembler code directly into your programs.

http://amos.condor.serverpro3.com/Am...l/14/1411.html
Old 08 August 2009, 10:57   #34
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
actually, the whole "you cant do that with AMOS" argument is the one that doesnt hold up at all, given that AMOS allows you to add assembler code directly into your programs.
I think the point was not to use ASM for the game at all. Anyway, been a while since KevG posted in this thread (5 months) and I wonder if he's still on the project at all.
Old 08 August 2009, 11:05   #35
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
I think the point was not to use ASM for the game at all.
Sorry TCD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevG View Post
Anyway, I went away and did a few time tests on some of the standard AMOS commands and functions before I started a new project. Unfortunately, AMOS in itself was just not up to it speed-wise. Then I got into the AMOS assember a little and figured out how much time I could save by just including a few machine code instructions to move the display and the graphics around. Well, the results speak for themselves. I have managed to get all the graphics rendered in less than 1 VBL! on a bog standard A500 (50fps PAL)
Old 08 August 2009, 11:08   #36
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
Sorry TCD.
Oops, missed that part Sorry
Okay, back on topic : Any news KevG?
Old 08 August 2009, 11:22   #37
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Was KidGloves written in AMOS?
Old 08 August 2009, 11:34   #38
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
Was KidGloves written in AMOS?
Just had a look at both the Kid Gloves and Kid Chaos () disks and usually you find an ASCII string with 'AMOS' on the disk. Well, on those two disks you don't find it
Old 09 August 2009, 02:16   #39
Maren
Banned

None of you got it right, but I acknowledge it was my fault for not quoting with exactitude

I was specifically addressing the following comment by bippym: "as I always wanted to see that Amiga could do sonic (a500)"
Old 09 August 2009, 13:36   #40
KevG
Banned

Quote:
Anyway, been a while since KevG posted in this thread (5 months) and I wonder if he's still on the project at all.
Hello folks. I am so sorry but I just havent had the time. When I started this project I was out of work and had a lot of time on my hands. But these days the time that I get off work I spend having to do household chores/visiting relatives etc. (the sort of things normal people do).

What I really need is a few weeks off just to concentrate on the game but I cant see that happening for a while. So I apologise for the lack of progress recently but I assure you that I intend to carry on with it at some point.

KevG.