English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 20 October 2008, 19:12   #1
D4Ni3L3

Send a message via MSN to D4Ni3L3
Verbatim MF 2HD Floppy Disks

Hello Amigans,

I would like to make a technical question.

May I use MF 2HD Floppies to write my preferred .adf Amiga games?
In the past I have bought 2DD FD and and this is very OK but they are very expensive.
Today I tried to write on some Verbatim MF 2HD abd they work fine whiile in the past I had issues using non MF and HD MS-Formatted Disks.
These Floppies I am using now are MF 2HD from Verbating and the box says that are formatted for MS DOS and Apple.

Do we need to use 2DD anyway? and why?

And what does it mean MF ?

Thanks in Advance!
Old 20 October 2008, 19:17   #2
Graham Humphrey

Yes, you can use HD disks as DD disks, some drives however don't like the hole in the top-left of the disk so you may want to cover up the hole with some sellotape before using it. If you've had problems before this may be the reason.

No idea what MF means though...?
Old 20 October 2008, 19:24   #3
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
No idea what MF means though...?
Micro Floppy (http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/MF2HD)
Old 20 October 2008, 19:28   #4
Graham Humphrey

Learn something new every day
Old 20 October 2008, 19:35   #5
TCD

Quote:
Learn something new every day
That's what EAB is for... or something
Didn't know I could use these disks for my A500. So they will be usuable as 880 KB disks right?
Old 20 October 2008, 19:42   #6
Graham Humphrey

You mean you didn't know you can use HD disks?

Yeah, you can format them and use them just like 'normal' Amiga disks. I've got loads of HD disks and I've never had a problem.
Old 20 October 2008, 19:47   #7
TCD

Quote:
No, I didn't I only have my Miggy back for three months now and back in the day (tm) I didn't have to buy them I should try that on the next weekend
Old 20 October 2008, 21:11   #8
D4Ni3L3

Quote:

Yeah, you can format them and use them just like 'normal' Amiga disks. I've got loads of HD disks and I've never had a problem.
Thank you...all

it's nice to hear I can use the modern MF2HD for the Amiga and do not pay the double of the price for the 2SDD but I have read in another old thread here on EAB that they are not lasting in the years like the 2SDD.

Is this true?

Do the 2MFHD can damage my Amiga Floppy Disk Driver?

Thanks in advance
Old 20 October 2008, 21:26   #9
Graham Humphrey

No idea about their durability, some of mine have lasted about five years or so without a problem so far however. Guess it's pot luck in some ways.

They shouldn't damage your drive though, as I said before you may potentially have trouble with the disks but covering the hole up should see you fine.
Old 20 October 2008, 21:59   #10
D4Ni3L3

Quote:
No idea about their durability, some of mine have lasted about five years or so without a problem so far however. Guess it's pot luck in some ways.

They shouldn't damage your drive though, as I said before you may potentially have trouble with the disks but covering the hole up should see you fine.
thanks .... so kind from you!
Old 22 October 2008, 00:47   #11
Photon

I had tons of trouble using HD disks in my A500's. I know A600/A1200 have other drives, so that could be the problem. I should give it a try again I guess... has any A500 user succeeded in using HD disks?

And taping over / making new holes in disks is part of the retro feeling 8)
Old 28 October 2008, 21:46   #12
Photon

Seems most DD drives aren't constructed for the current needed to properly write HD disks for long term storage. --> http://indra.com/~cliffcan/01fdd1.htm#Can you use 1.44MB

Even Atarians recommend only to use HD disks for non-vital stuff, also because HD disks are not as good quality as DD --> http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13318

I don't have a bulk eraser, I'm not formatting floppies in a PC before using them, and if I use floppies I'd like them to last 5 years or so, or there is no point in having floppies at the ready for a quick game of <gamename>.

So as you might understand I'm pondering not to use floppies at all. But is there really a perfect alternative? Stuff is ordered to keep floppy images on CF, but does RAD: work perfectly with all .ADF/.DMS images?

Plans are to write disk images to RAD: in max. 10 seconds, switch kickstart to 1.3 and 68040 off, and then boot the game. Any tips you guys can give me?

This is an A500/040, 4M fast, 0.5M slow, with a CF harddisk. Hm. Crap. The 4M will probably disappear after switching. Possible with an 1.8M slowmem card? Or can the Trumpcard 500 Pro be expanded or a sidecar fastram expansion be found for A500?

In a word, Help!
Old 29 October 2008, 02:56   #13
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
So as you might understand I'm pondering not to use floppies at all. But is there really a perfect alternative? Stuff is ordered to keep floppy images on CF, but does RAD: work perfectly with all .ADF/.DMS images?

Plans are to write disk images to RAD: in max. 10 seconds, switch kickstart to 1.3 and 68040 off, and then boot the game. Any tips you guys can give me?
Because most games use custom disk access routines (which I'm sure you know ), booting them from rad: will most likely fail nine out of ten times. Seeing how you have a '40 with CF, why not just use WHDLoad?
Old 29 October 2008, 17:08   #14
Photon

Thorham, you mean originals? I have a bunch, some of them load, some of them have deteriorated. If you mean the neverending internet supply of .adf and .dms, all of them use normal sectors, or they couldn't be imaged.

Yes, how well does WHDload works on a 512K chip machine - surely WHDload requires at least some chipmem? Also, if you want to play a game that is not yet WHDloaded, you're screwed. And on my A600 with 1M chip, 4M fast and 1.5M slow, only one or two games even load, because almost all slaves are incompatible with anything lower than 68020 - even if the games I've chosen all work on a stock A500!

I guess I'm just asking if OCS/ECS machine owners have a solution that works perfectly... maybe a sticky to help me and guys who just took their old A500s out of their closet for some retro fun?
Old 01 November 2008, 12:22   #15
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Yes, how well does WHDload works on a 512K chip machine - surely WHDload requires at least some chipmem? Also, if you want to play a game that is not yet WHDloaded, you're screwed. And on my A600 with 1M chip, 4M fast and 1.5M slow, only one or two games even load, because almost all slaves are incompatible with anything lower than 68020 - even if the games I've chosen all work on a stock A500!
I've tried loading a few games (Turrican II, Pinball Prelude and Rod Land) on my A1200 with less then 100 kb (!) of chipmem left, and the games work just fine It seems whdload makes room in chipmem by copying data from chipmem to fastmem, which is then restored when you quit the game.

If I were you, I'd still just try a bunch of whdload games on your expanded A500. It might work a whole lot better than you think.

Every whdload game that works is one less game that needs messing around with floppies, so it seems to be worth a try.
Old 03 November 2008, 21:26   #16
Photon

Partition created. 8)
Old 14 November 2008, 16:53   #17
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Partition created. 8)
Are the games working well? I'm sure more people would like to know
Old 14 November 2008, 22:04   #18
Photon

I've done some mods and tested some stuff after initially having some problems with the 68040 driver, scsi driver wouldn't work at all.

Now everything works, and the one nag is that WB hangs after a few icon-clicks in 68040. I had it working the day before, probably wrong order of things in the s-sequence, since I changed that.

So still no whdload installed. Will report back when it works ofc But optimizing a decrunch routine and stuff, 'It is more fun to Assemble' (c) Kraftwerk