English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 04 July 2007, 12:12   #1
NfernalNfluence

possible damage to internal floppy drive???

can a A500 internal floppy drive sustain damage if you fully insert a disk with a slider that's immobile/stuck? i think i may have done this although i'm not 100% sure the slider didn't move. on a PC, you cannot insert a disk if there's a problem with the slider so this has me wondering, whether or not, if A500s have a similar feature. should i be worried? i was able to fix slider after ejecting the disk and the drive seems to work fine. i guess my main concern is a stuck slider while floppy drive's attempting to read.

(eventually, i realized the disk could only be accessed through workbench which is why i have no idea whether the slider actually moved or not)

Last edited by NfernalNfluence; 04 July 2007 at 12:42.
Old 04 July 2007, 12:36   #2
fc.studio
Cat lover

It happened several times to me on A1200. Sometimes I had to open the case to remove the disk, but floppy drive never had damages and at the moment it is fully working.
However I suggest you to throw away the guilty floppy disk.
Old 04 July 2007, 12:49   #3
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
The inner parts, that are responsible for moving of the slider, ale made of metal, imho. It shouldn't damage your drive, but it can happen that you are not able to remove the floppy from the drive, then. The same can happen if the spring, that is in the floppy, is not working properly. Check your disks before you insert them to your drive.
Old 04 July 2007, 13:11   #4
fc.studio
Cat lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda
The inner parts, that are responsible for moving of the slider, ale made of metal, imho. It shouldn't damage your drive, but it can happen that you are not able to remove the floppy from the drive, then. The same can happen if the spring, that is in the floppy, is not working properly. Check your disks before you insert them to your drive.
Checking slider disks before inserting them will avoid any troubles.
However if you are forced to use a disk with slider problems, you can remove it together with the spring.
Old 04 July 2007, 13:11   #5
NfernalNfluence

ok. hopefully the drive didn't attempt to read the slider. that can't possibly be good.

that's all i'm worried about
Old 04 July 2007, 13:36   #6
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Sometimes the spring releases itself from that small hook in the slider and it also causes problems.
Old 05 July 2007, 08:15   #7
Jope
-

There's a hook in the drive that catches into the dent on the right hand side of the slider. If the slider can't move, the hook won't move either and the disk doesn't go in the drive.

Naturally if you use a *lot* of excessive force, you can probably bend the hook out of the way and get the disk in, but that will of course mean you must open the drive and bend everything back in place again.
Old 07 July 2007, 00:14   #8
NfernalNfluence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope
There's a hook in the drive that catches into the dent on the right hand side of the slider. If the slider can't move, the hook won't move either and the disk doesn't go in the drive.

thanks for verifying this!!