English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. Blitz Basic

Old 28 December 2019, 12:24   #81
daxb

AHI (start 1994) comes later and is only useful with fast processors because of it's mixing nature. Games used Paula direct because there wasn't something else. Some later games in the mid/end '90 supported it. It has also a Paula direct mode.
Old 28 December 2019, 14:48   #82
jotd
This cat is no more

Yeah, but games used paula direct because they didn't need/want any library or the OS to play audio. But there are players (TFMX) that are able to play more than 4 channels at once (or possibly game engines). Still using hardware/custom code.
Old 10 January 2020, 22:59   #83
Daedalus

Decided to give the 5.3 version of this library a go, but can't get the example program to work under Amiblitz 3.7.3 on WinUAE. It compiles fine (for simplicity I changed the paths to ram:filename, but kept everything else the same), but just sits there silently mocking me. It quits fine when I right-click, and the debugger doesn't show any issues. The mod plays fine in HippoPlayer. Is there something I'm missing?
Old 11 January 2020, 19:35   #84
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Decided to give the 5.3 version of this library a go, but can't get the example program to work under Amiblitz 3.7.3 on WinUAE. It compiles fine (for simplicity I changed the paths to ram:filename, but kept everything else the same), but just sits there silently mocking me. It quits fine when I right-click, and the debugger doesn't show any issues. The mod plays fine in HippoPlayer. Is there something I'm missing?
Hmm, wait a minute. The pt library uses number 195, maybe that library number is used by another library in Amiblitz 3.7.3?
Old 12 January 2020, 00:05   #85
Daedalus

Yeah, there's one of the Lotan libraries that also uses 195 - that's an old one though from the Ultimate Blitz CD I think, it's also #195 in my Blitz 2.1 setup. But I changed the library number to 48 and rebuilt my deflibs with it, and the commands are recognised fine (though the library name itself is not).
Old 12 January 2020, 11:02   #86
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Yeah, there's one of the Lotan libraries that also uses 195 - that's an old one though from the Ultimate Blitz CD I think, it's also #195 in my Blitz 2.1 setup. But I changed the library number to 48 and rebuilt my deflibs with it, and the commands are recognised fine (though the library name itself is not).
I might have done something wrong when porting version 5.3 to Blitz Basic. I have no idea what though. I will do some testing myself as soon as I find the time.
Old 02 April 2020, 00:31   #87
Zener

This library is great! With Amiblitz2 I had no problem generating deflibs, and plays nicely. One issue I have is that when using it in Vampire V4 I am getting no sound from it, no module sound and no sfx sound. Any idea?

At least it is better than then default Module from Blitz, it hangs the V4 when used. With this lib it is just no sound.
Old 13 July 2020, 11:08   #88
Honitos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickGyver View Post
I might have done something wrong when porting version 5.3 to Blitz Basic. I have no idea what though. I will do some testing myself as soon as I find the time.

Do you mind if I include the lib in the AmiBlitz3 package?
Old 13 July 2020, 17:44   #89
fabbroz

Any possibility to use KS1.3?
Old 13 July 2020, 22:12   #90
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honitos View Post
Do you mind if I include the lib in the AmiBlitz3 package?
Please, as far as I'm concerned, go ahead! This library is all thanks to phx, I just converted the latest version for Blitz Basic, based off of idrougge's older version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabbroz View Post
Any possibility to use KS1.3?
This library should support KS1.3.
Old 15 July 2020, 15:02   #91
Honitos

I added the ptplayerlib to the AmiBlitz3-package.
It has libnum #48, as #195 is already used by LotanArgs.

Does someone know if there is any documentation or amigaguide for that library?
Old 25 July 2020, 21:18   #92
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

First I'd like to say, this is fab and works unlike the CIA tracker lib for Blitz I was using which caused crashes and didn't work on 1.3.

I'm not sure if I'm setting it right

I tried setting the channel to play the samples to 3 and then tried setting the music mask to %1110 (my mod uses channels 0-2). But still the sample playing stops channel 2 (or at least it's channel 2 in ProTracker!)

Am I getting the mask/ch wrong?

Cheers,
Old 26 July 2020, 02:03   #93
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coagulus View Post
I tried setting the channel to play the samples to 3 and then tried setting the music mask to %1110 (my mod uses channels 0-2).
Bit 0 is channel 0, so it should have been %0111.
Old 26 July 2020, 13:03   #94
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
Bit 0 is channel 0, so it should have been %0111.
Doh!

Changed it to that but the sfx is blocking out the channel which is 3 on ProTracker. %1011 does the same and so does %1000 which is very odd.

On my Protracker mod, Channels 1,2,3 have the music.
1 - drums/bass
2 - hihat/bass
3 - tune
4 - Blank

Without the mask or with, the tune keeps getting stopped by the SFX but it should be choosing the blank channel?

I then got rid of the mask and tried setting the channel on the samples (first 0, then 1) and it still eventually started to block out the tune...

I should note I'm using the version that's been added to the Ultimate Blitz CD install.

EDIT setting the channel to 2 in Blitz under WinUAE seemed to work and the sounds went on the blank channel. But then I tried the compiled exectuable in WinFellow and they blocked the tune again.

EDIT2: setting MTMusicMask %0100 is working.

Last edited by Coagulus; 26 July 2020 at 16:18. Reason: retried and didnt want back to back posts
Old 27 July 2020, 20:22   #95
MickGyver

Quote:
Doh!

Changed it to that but the sfx is blocking out the channel which is 3 on ProTracker. %1011 does the same and so does %1000 which is very odd.

On my Protracker mod, Channels 1,2,3 have the music.
1 - drums/bass
2 - hihat/bass
3 - tune
4 - Blank

Without the mask or with, the tune keeps getting stopped by the SFX but it should be choosing the blank channel?

I then got rid of the mask and tried setting the channel on the samples (first 0, then 1) and it still eventually started to block out the tune...

I should note I'm using the version that's been added to the Ultimate Blitz CD install.

EDIT setting the channel to 2 in Blitz under WinUAE seemed to work and the sounds went on the blank channel. But then I tried the compiled exectuable in WinFellow and they blocked the tune again.

EDIT2: setting MTMusicMask %0100 is working.
Odd behaviour indeed, %0100 should mean that only channel 2 (from channels 0-3) is reserved for music.
Old 28 July 2020, 15:44   #96
phx
Natteravn

Hmmm. I just had a look at the source code again, and it seems that the mask set by mt_musicmask() is just a "hint" which channels should better not be used for effects. But when the player only sees busy channels, with no free lines at the current pattern position, it might use those channels nevertheless.

So when you give your mask as %0100, prioritising only a single channel, the chances are higher that all your effects fit into the remaining channels.
Old 28 July 2020, 18:41   #97
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
Hmmm. I just had a look at the source code again, and it seems that the mask set by mt_musicmask() is just a "hint" which channels should better not be used for effects. But when the player only sees busy channels, with no free lines at the current pattern position, it might use those channels nevertheless.

So when you give your mask as %0100, prioritising only a single channel, the chances are higher that all your effects fit into the remaining channels.
Glad you've found that. Thought i was going loopy. Next question is can a sound effect be forced into one only though. (My next game. which I'm about half way through coding already, uses 3 channels again.)
Old 29 July 2020, 12:25   #98
MickGyver

Quote:
Glad you've found that. Thought i was going loopy. Next question is can a sound effect be forced into one only though. (My next game. which I'm about half way through coding already, uses 3 channels again.)
This should be possible with my converted version of the library. Look at the example I included:
Code:
WBStartup

INCLUDE "ptplayer_inc.bb2"

MTInstall 1 ; Install the CIA MOD player routine (1=PAL,0=NTSC)

LoadBank 0,"playingw.mod",2 ; Load a module into chipmem
addrMod.l=Bank(0) ; Get the pointer to the module

DEFTYPE .sfx clap         ; Create a sfx instance
LoadSound 0,"909Clap.iff" ; Load a sound
; Initialize a sfx for ptplayer
SFXInit{&clap,0,64,-1,1} ; {*pointer.sfx, sound_index, volume, channel (-1=best), priority (>0) }

MTInit 0,0 ; Initialize a module from bank 0, start position = 0
MTPlay On  ; Start playing the module

While Joyb(0)<2
  VWait
  If Joyb(0)=1
    MTPlayFX &clap
  EndIf
Wend

MTEnd    ; Stop playing the current mod
MTRemove ; Remove the CIA MOD player routine

End
Here is the link to the library with the example: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...9&postcount=64
Old 29 July 2020, 16:34   #99
phx
Natteravn

Usually you should be able to specify a fixed channel number when starting an effect. But I'm still confused about your statement that it didn't work for you to play an effect on a fixed channel of 0 or 1. Or did I misunderstand that?
Quote:
Otherwise MickGyver's example with SFXInit and MTPlayFX should work for you, if you replace the -1 in SFXInit with your prefered channel number.
Old 06 January 2021, 16:33   #100
Bren McGuire

I was looking for some source code to load a Protracker file into Blitz and this came up in search, although it doesn't exactly do what I want, so let me ask:

Can I, instead of playing the module, extract some of its data to use in other ways?
For example: find sample #8 and play that using Blitz, and show the sample name.